Feminised Seeds: Gibberelic Acid Project

Jamahl

I have some spare White Widow (Greenhouse Seeds) and Strawberry Cough (Dutch Passion) clones and a mother plant room without a mother so i thought what the heck lets try and get some male bananas out of them with gibberelic acid.

The GA was hard to track down but i finally found some at a agricultural shop...apparently they use it to help with firmness of oranges and to cut50% of the pollen of citrus...so go figure everyone saying "dont smoke GA weed buddy cause its poisonous". Dont eat an orange either !!!

As i dont care about the size of the plants i have put two small pots with hydroton in my motherplant pot under a 130W CFL on 12/12 cycle from clone. Clones had reasonable roots coming so i made the hydro fluid around 0.6 EC, Ph 6.0 to start off with and will ramp up over the next couple of weeks.

I sprayed each clone thorougly with GA on day one.

Heres how it looks on Day 1

Gibb_090918_Pic_1_Small_.JPG

The plants were vegged for a few days and were then put into flower.
They have had 5 days of 13hrs and 3 days of 12hrs.
The SC has started to show signs of female flowers. I am hoping this is only preflowers.
I will gibb them again in a couple of days.

Heres the pics....note the considerable stretch due to the elongation of the internodal lengths caused by the gibb.
Gibb_091005_Pic_1_Small_.JPG

I repotted the two plants into a single pot. I then placed this pot on a 1/2 brick in a bucket with a tiny pump which pumps water over them every hr or so. I put an aerator in the bucket too. Basically this is a mini hydro system all in a bucket. Cost around $10.
I did this so i could put the gibb project in my flower tent with the other flowering plants.

Gibberelic Acid worked....one of the plants (GH WW) has popped a male flower. I will now pollinate itself and also some Strawberry Cough (dont know if i should call it white strawberry or cough widow)

Will post pics of flower and hopefully seed when it develops.

Nice work Jamahl. Bet ya Mum woould be proud to know her son is a genetic engineer lol. Good luck with it.:ganjamon:

I did this so i could put the gibb project in my flower tent with the other flowering plants.

then the pollen from the male plants will fill ALL your flowering plants with seeded weed, is this what your trying for? what is in the room your crossing them with?

Yes but if you spray a plant with the GA it will turn it male to shoot out pollen, then the other females get prego and produces lots of seeds, usually if breeding you don't put a male in with the group, you would collect pollen and brush on one cola, and some even cover that cola with a plastic bag, so you don't get seeds in your whole garden, just in that cola. Then you grow out those seeds from that cola and see if its female.

I just don't see puting 2 different GA plants in with the whole garden, you won't find what pollen hits what female and what your getting... it might be a different way i guess, but i don't get it.

and you need a strong female, that when stressed stays a female... then spray with the GA. if you just spray any female, it might not be strong and the seeds are not always female, your seeds could be hermi's :peace:

did you ever post price of acid and quanity ty

It was $50 for 10 sachels of GA and i used 100th of a sachel to make 2L of 1:100 strength GA solution.

Exciting grow and a great experiment.
Thanks for the encouragement DGH.

what are you doing i am confussed?
PAchamama: I put the two GA females in with the other plants that were budding to save power and setup, not expecting the GA to work. Now that there is evidence of male flowers i will put it in its own room, then pollinate both itself (WW) and the Strawberry Cough. If the Strawberry Cough goes male i will pollinate both itself and the WW. That way i should have WW and SC seeds and also WW/SC and SC/WW. I am basically doing this as i ordered only one of each seed Feminised and want more female seeds.

Hightide805: Both are very strong females. I grew several clones in a EZITent for 6mths under heaps of stress from toxic tent syndrome. Went from 12-24hr many times whilst trying to figure out the TTS and no bananas.... so all seeds should be female.

OK time for the picture.....so much suspense for a little picture of immature bananas.....

Gibb_091019_Pic_1_Small_.JPG

Dont know if its a viable male flower yet its about half way up the photo on the LHS..... There was a half male / half female flower too, but i took this off to see the insides as i was curious.

Will keep you posted in a couple of days as to what happens.

Oh forgot to mention...the GA i use was "packaged' for the orange industry...apparently they spray it on the fruit to (1) reduce the flowers on the plant and (2) to stop the bum popping out. So much for "dont smoke a GA plant"....i bet you have been eating GA fruit for years.

Back
Top Bottom