FenderSuper's Greenhouse Kosher Kush Grow Journal - 2017

Six weeks!!! The growth!!!

From this...
1661138277996.png

To this...
1661138285558.png

Amazing setup and great growth! You certainly are diving in with both feet here for a first time grow. So far we know you're a Who fan who likes Seinfeld, the Beastie Boys, puns, and Greek mythology. Not a bad combo for a dope-grower...

I wouldn't sell your late bloomer short yet. My AK was a runt I thought was going to be worthless and now it's as tall as my Blueberry 1. Kids can surprise you sometimes!

Subbed, and it takes a while to get subscribers. The more threads you comment on the more folks you draw.

Shit soup and carry on.

Also, I'm getting a similar greenhouse, how are you combatting heat? Or do the windows vent enough?

Because I'm not in a super-hot area (Mediterranean climate lat 37:30), heat has not been a huge issue. On really hot days (85F+) I have fans I blow in there AND, I have two trays of PH-balanced ice cubes and I put them atop the soil when it gets hot. They melt, the roots stay cooler and all is well. Caging them up today. High here of 79. More heat is coming and yet ANOTHER way I help them is with extra watering.

I have 21 gallons of already evaporated water in the back yard, ready to add. It's only three gallons per plant which, on a hot day, will help keep the soil cool and moist. If we get mid-90s or hotter (once this year so far), I use four gallons of water per plant, with the ice cubes melted in the rest of the water. Again, will keep 'em cooler and they will transpire cooler than they would with 80-degree water.

Gotta keep in mind, as paranoid as we all are about our plants, they're pretty tough, esp the Afghani-based strains. Fucking TOUGH conditions, even without war (thanks Bush and Obama) so they're tough plants.

Because I'm not in a super-hot area (Mediterranean climate lat 37:30), heat has not been a huge issue. On really hot days (85F+) I have fans I blow in there AND, I have two trays of PH-balanced ice cubes and I put them atop the soil when it gets hot. They melt, the roots stay cooler and all is well. Caging them up today. High here of 79. More heat is coming and yet ANOTHER way I help them is with extra watering.

I have 21 gallons of already evaporated water in the back yard, ready to add. It's only three gallons per plant which, on a hot day, will help keep the soil cool and moist. If we get mid-90s or hotter (once this year so far), I use four gallons of water per plant, with the ice cubes melted in the rest of the water. Again, will keep 'em cooler and they will transpire cooler than they would with 80-degree water.

Gotta keep in mind, as paranoid as we all are about our plants, they're pretty tough, esp the Afghani-based strains. Fucking TOUGH conditions, even without war (thanks Bush and Obama) so they're tough plants.
Yeah I'm at 45, West coast, and mother nature has decided she wants to jump up to 107 for some ungodly reason.
Thanks for the info!!
Cheers!!

Yeah I'm at 45, West coast, and mother nature has decided she wants to jump up to 107 for some ungodly reason.
Thanks for the info!!
Cheers!!

At 107, I'd be dumping the ice in my trays and freezing some PH-balanced cubes. That would mean about 130F in the top of the greenhouse and 110 at the soil level. Water the living shit out of them, that will help. Do NOT let the water you're using for the plants sit in the sun for ANY length of time unless you want to boil your roots. I'd lift the sides of the greenhouse because at those temps ventilation is key. Fans would be useless against that kind of heat. I'd also use a spray bottle and spray water on the fan leaves. If you can set up a shade cloth, a light-colored one is a great idfea (white is best) reflects heat and light.

But the more Afghani-dominant your strain is, the tougher it'll be. I know nothing of sativas except to identify them by their fan leaves. I have one sativa plant (a freebie from the clone guy) and it's doing fine but I consider it dumb luck.

I see your latitude in OR, I'm guessing you're not out in the desert. If you have a journal, give me a linkie and I'll sub...

At 107, I'd be dumping the ice in my trays and freezing some PH-balanced cubes. That would mean about 130F in the top of the greenhouse and 110 at the soil level. Water the living shit out of them, that will help. Do NOT let the water you're using for the plants sit in the sun for ANY length of time unless you want to boil your roots. I'd lift the sides of the greenhouse because at those temps ventilation is key. Fans would be useless against that kind of heat. I'd also use a spray bottle and spray water on the fan leaves. If you can set up a shade cloth, a light-colored one is a great idfea (white is best) reflects heat and light.

But the more Afghani-dominant your strain is, the tougher it'll be. I know nothing of sativas except to identify them by their fan leaves. I have one sativa plant (a freebie from the clone guy) and it's doing fine but I consider it dumb luck.

I see your latitude in OR, I'm guessing you're not out in the desert. If you have a journal, give me a linkie and I'll sub...
Wild Strain From The Midwest

Thanks brother, I'm getting sketched out now, Thursday is saying 109. I'm so glad I got ac last year lol

I was thinking of adding something like an attic fan and putting it up in the corner so I can have some really good air transfer....

Wild Strain From The Midwest

Thanks brother, I'm getting sketched out now, Thursday is saying 109. I'm so glad I got ac last year lol

I was thinking of adding something like an attic fan and putting it up in the corner so I can have some really good air transfer....

How would you mount it? The structure of the greenhouse won't take that kind of weight, unless you're talking about something I'm not familiar with.

How would you mount it? The structure of the greenhouse won't take that kind of weight, unless you're talking about something I'm not familiar with.
I was thinking of something like a through-ceiling style like an attic vent, put a little 4" fan in there set to a temp controller and ride.
I was thinking in the back
420-magazine-mobile1891586953.jpg

Yeah, but that material won't support it if you want it to vent out the top of the greenhouse. I'd use a big articulating fan in the back and a big box fan in the front. The more fans the better, in hot weather. Be sure to have some welded wire cage material to cage the girls up when they get big. I have the material, I just need to get off my ass and cut it to size.

Jeez you really are prepared for anything!
I try to be. I'm big on self-reliance.

When I tackle a project, I go all in. This is my first grow but I started reading about it last Xmas evening and I've read voraciously, pestered anyone I thought I could get info from and just dove in, head first.

My sister is a certified master gardener (whatever that means) and she's mentoring me, but she told me there isn't much I haven't gotten right on my own. Others have given me good information, and of course, a number of forums like this one.

Oh man, so much to tell, so many lessons learned, some good, others very hard and costly, but I've always said in one way or another, we pay for our education,

When last we tuned in, my veg state growth was going very well. SO well, in fact, I was totally oblivious to the fact, the plants were becoming VERY top heavy. Kosher Kush has HUGE fan leaves, and a gazillion of them. I learned the hard way, with ALL these plants, you have to super crop to get the short-squatty plants many indica strains are known for. KK is not. I have done some mild LST, using stakes and zip ties to pull buds away from the sides of the greenhouse. But the top heaviness got to the point plants were falling down and trying to yank the root ball out of the soil. If you're growing Kosher Kush, read about it because I didn't and would have been better off with Afghani or Blueberry, which don't grow so tall. Those will be my strains, next year and the year after. Next year I grow from seed, the year after that, I clone each plant

This first year has been expensive as fuck with how much production I lost simply because I didn't really know what I was doing during veg stage. I never cropped the plants much (a HUGE mistake with Kosher Kush) because I wanted to understand WHY we crop. Now, I get it. Branches just BROKE off, they were so heavy with very moist fan leaves. I also get the notion behind LST which I did a little of, but only to keep buds off the plastic shell of the greenhouse. Also, don't let the lower branches get very big. Want to sent all the resources toward the top of the plant. There were also some variable expenses I won't have to buy, again, No greenhouse, no dust respirator, no kiddie pool, no aquarium pump, no rake, no shovel, no gloves, none of that shit. Over the winter, I want to do a little greenhouse interior design so watering, lighting and other frequent tasks (other than watching them grow, which is perfect meditation) will be easier and more organized. I'll be posting PDF diagrams (doG, I love Illustrator) and I'm open to anyone's input. Watering and heat dissipation will be two factors I'll be looking at. I'd LIKE to get away from the watering can, but I have to figure it out. Maybe pop-bottle irrigation, but you have to put the bottles in the soil either prior to or just after you plant the small plants (12-14 inches) into the smart pots. I'm planting 10 seeds of each species, so any popped seeds I cannot use, PM me for possible availability. Ask me in early spring, when I see how many seeds pop. These will be real seedlings, not clones and they'll be developed to 12 inches high so they're ready for transplanting as soon as you're ready.

Another mistake was choosing KK in the first place. Next year it will be either Afghani/Blueberry, or just Blueberry, grown from seed. I'm going to get a fair amount of KK bud, anyway, just not nearly as much as I expected, because there were so many instances of the branches getting heavy (esp low on the plant), and breaking off from the main stems. I was thinking at the time, the freebie clone the guy threw in would be just a "practice plant," but it's in REALLY good shape (it's NYC diesel) and the buds are quite awesome on it, but I'm not much of a sativa guy, so most of that bud will probably be given away. Just the same, nice to have SOMETHING to gift to the folks who have been kind to me.

As you can see, mah bitches are fully into flower at this point. I admit, I wasn't prepared for the fan-leaf death that took place when I flipped them into flower. All the yellow leaves freaked me out. At first I suspected magnesium deficiency so I added some epsom salts to a topcoat. Then I suspected nitrogen, so I threw a bunch of blood meal on as a topcoat but that didn't help, so I took most of the blood meal topcoat off and threw it in a compost pot because feeding nitrogen to flowering plants is NOT a good idear. Finally I gave up on the fan leaves and came to what I hope was the correct topcoat consisting of H-F 0-5-0 bat guano, some bone meal (4-12-0), kelp meal some oyster shell (eggshells will be used for calcium next year) and some azomite. I kept them in veg for a full eight weeks (from late June to late August) to grow the clones to flower in Sept-Oct. Flipped them in late August. Still don't have cloudy trichomes yet, but I suspect that's coming soon. I want to go 50-50 between milky and amber trichs, so I get SOME narcotic stone but not totally blowing out KK's other, heady effects.

The photos will tell most of it. I'm embarrassed I was so unprepared for the height of Kosher Kush, but I am prepared (mentally) for a somewhat different approach (growing from seed, fewer, squattier plants, yet still great genetics) for next year. I'm running costs for next year's grow already, mapping out what to do and when, so when I have more of a plan than I did this year,I hope it consists of more than me thinking, "I hope I'm getting this shit right."

I'll also do full-strength Subcool soil next year. I'll be starting getting new soil ready in early January, after a short vacation from growing, and getting the bag soil and amendments for one of the smart pots. My bag soil is Kellogg's Patio Plus, and based on this year's results, you guys using more expensive bag soil for your Subcool are wasting your money. But whatever, suit yourself. For each pot, it will take about $125 of soil and amendments. Cost of doing business. I'll be researching other ways to lower the cost but there's an extent to which the costs are what they are and if you want to do this, you do what you must.

How's everyone else's grow doing this glorious harvest season? Sorry for my absence but honestly, I kinda felt ashamed of all my mistakes. Shit happens, that's for sure.

Pix below.

ivFwTBb.jpg

A forest of bud - not bad for a novice?

MhN7PLN.jpg

Trichomes, baby!!!

wADNvXi.jpg

More trichomes!!!

5PUJl0p.jpg

NYC Diesel bud.

ZhOQ8sC.jpg

More NYC Diesel bud

Lots of lessons there Fender...and I would think so after 2 months off!

I don't think the strain was the problem as much as leaving it to grow without training, but choosing a strain that requires less work is def less work!

Nice results for a novice with a sister who's is a certified master gardener ;) I look forward to seeing the rest of the process. :thumb:

And no need to run and hide your mistakes. We're all learning here.

I've grown both Sativa and indica dominant strains and not a single plant has been over two feet tall. And most were vegged for ten to fourteen weeks. But then I love training my plants and do so extensively. Only my second run of Blueberry Kush did I not do much training and did very little defoliation. But they are a low grower. They weren't taller than about 20" yet had 20+ colas on fairly even canopy and yielded about five ounces each.

One of these days I'll grow out a sativa that the breeder warns triple in height in the stretch and see what happens with extensive training. The top half of my tent would like to see some bud at some point!

I've grown both Sativa and indica dominant strains and not a single plant has been over two feet tall. And most were vegged for ten to fourteen weeks. But then I love training my plants and do so extensively. Only my second run of Blueberry Kush did I not do much training and did very little defoliation. But they are a low grower. They weren't taller than about 20" yet had 20+ colas on fairly even canopy and yielded about five ounces each.

One of these days I'll grow out a sativa that the breeder warns triple in height in the stretch and see what happens with extensive training. The top half of my tent would like to see some bud at some point!
What size container? I'm growing in 45-gal smartpots.

Back
Top Bottom