Fertilizer help

Gazoobee

So I've got 4 seedlings under a 600 watt mh in a 4x4 tent. Went the the local(canada) farmers market to get fertilizer. Well to say i was overwhelmed is an understatment. Left with nothing lol. Most were of the brand names General Hydroponics or General Organics....there was Bio Weed, Bio Marine, Dimond Black...just to name a few....there was probably 20 different varieties of the GH and GO. Some of the other brands were Grotek, Gardners dream and a couple of Promix..General Organics had an interesting 'Go Box' with about 8 different bottles in it..If any of my canadian friends have any experience with any of these brands and can steer a newbie in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi Gazoobee-- I'm not Canadian, but I live nearby. Will that do?

First off, while you plants are seedlings you might want to save yourself a few bucks by keeping them under smaller, lower wattage lamps until they get out of diapers.

Second, I hear ya about the gazillion brands and products. My standard soap box rant is that cannabis grows fine in a sunny pile of sh*t, and all you really need are N,P,K, and micronutrients. Any brand can deliver those. The folks here at 420 encourage us to buy from their sponsors and that's a perfect starting point for me. Any 2-bottle or 3-bottle solution should do the job just fine. General Hydroponics is well established name, and I've used their FloraSeries 3-bottle solution for hydro, coco, and soil.

Two more things I recommend are a calcium/magnesium supplement, especially if you have water that is naturally low in minerals or has been stripped of minerals by reverse osmosis or distillation. I use GH's CALiMAGic, but I suspect that most brands are probably pretty similar. (Just a note, you usually want to add Ca/Mg to the mix first first.)

If you're growing hydroponically, I really like Hydroguard bacillus supplement to seed the reservoir with beneficial bacteria to outcompete the baddies.

That's it! All of the flushes and silicon supplements and terpene enhancers etc. etc. strike me as a marketer$ attempt to extract still more dollars from gullible cannabis growers. I'm sure some of those products must do something of some sort worthwhile, but I need to see the science myself before coughing up $25 for a bottle of magic.

While you're shopping, I also strongly recommend a PPM meter (about $20) a pH pen, and pH calibration solution (a must-have and a must-use).

My .03...
Happy growing!

Hey thanks for the reply...I kinda rushed into my first grow without doing all the proper research....buy here I am...my plants are in soil...so I seen that 'Floraseries' pack from General Hydroponics....but is that one for just hydroponics or can I use that for soil.

Hey thanks for the reply...I kinda rushed into my first grow without doing all the proper research....buy here I am...my plants are in soil...so I seen that 'Floraseries' pack from General Hydroponics....but is that one for just hydroponics or can I use that for soil.

Research is all very fine and good, but it can be endless. Very quickly the best route becomes just getting beans in soil and learning by doing, so that's cool that you have forged ahead (and that you have a nice big light). :)

It's true that FloraSeries was developed for hydroponics, but as I said, it's ultimately pretty much all just N, P, K, and micronutrients (although there may be different forms of each and different ratios). For just that reason, you can use it for anything. You should see my tomatoes. ;)

Ask the people over at the Indoor Soil Cultivation Forum what they like best for a soil fertilizer. I'm sure they'll have opinions. ;) Remember to support the sponsors who keep these wonderful forums going!

And again, really, any two- or three-bottle formulation should do the job. (Having more than one bottle enables them to adjust the relative amounts of nitrogen and phosphorous as the plant matures. That's the most important thing to vary.)

Back
Top Bottom