Fertilizers

dunia

hi all, there are a lot of fertilizers and liquid fertilizers on the market, voodoo juice, bud candy etc

how I can learn about all these fertilizers and find out what works ?

Can you suggest a source or topic?

A lot of people here use Mega Crop, it's a one and done fertilizer. Just add the powder to water every time you water.

Very effective and much cheaper than the multiple bottle systems.

Best is support you can find for nute lines as well as what I can get

Also the medium your using

Search here and you'll find everything you need on mist lines

GH Flora Trio is a popular line and very inexpensive

Good luck

If you look at the back labels you’ll see that these nutrient lines all contain the same stuff. There’s no mystery beyond that. None. Fancy packaging and products requiring you buy a dozen different bottles are taking advantage of the fact that most growers don’t take time to read up on basic plant nutrition.
Ten minutes of googling will give you the general idea.

The main nutrients required for any plant are nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium (aka kalium), calcium, magnesium, and sulphur.
There are a handful of micronutrients which are also important but used only in trace amounts, such as boron, chlorine, manganese, iron, zinc, copper, and molybdenum.

These elements will be listed by a number on the back label. For example a bloom nute that contains NPK 3,4,5 means it is 3% Nitrogen, 4% Phosphorus, and 5% Potassium (Kalium) by weight. The rest is generally water or other inert filler.

Likewise cannabis plants all need more or less predictable amounts of these elements throughout their progression from seedling to harvest. Some strains feed a little differently or more/less hungrily than others.

That’s really about it. There are also a few fringe products like amino acids and beneficial bacteria etc.

Yes it’s tempting to believe the advertising.

Best advice I can give, is to read the back label. Whether it’s called ‘potassium 4%’ or ‘Super Bud Xplosion, if the label only lists that it contains 4% potassium- that’s what it is.

When I examine the back of many fertilizers, I see similar things as you said, but the fact that there are so many products on the market made me think there was something I didn't know.

thanks for useful information

be safe

If you look at the back labels you’ll see that these nutrient lines all contain the same stuff. There’s no mystery beyond that. None. Fancy packaging and products requiring you buy a dozen different bottles are taking advantage of the fact that most growers don’t take time to read up on basic plant nutrition.
Ten minutes of googling will give you the general idea.

The main nutrients required for any plant are nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium (aka kalium), calcium, magnesium, and sulphur.
There are a handful of micronutrients which are also important but used only in trace amounts, such as boron, chlorine, manganese, iron, zinc, copper, and molybdenum.

These elements will be listed by a number on the back label. For example a bloom nute that contains NPK 3,4,5 means it is 3% Nitrogen, 4% Phosphorus, and 5% Potassium (Kalium) by weight. The rest is generally water or other inert filler.

Likewise cannabis plants all need more or less predictable amounts of these elements throughout their progression from seedling to harvest. Some strains feed a little differently or more/less hungrily than others.

That’s really about it. There are also a few fringe products like amino acids and beneficial bacteria etc.

Yes it’s tempting to believe the advertising.

Best advice I can give, is to read the back label. Whether it’s called ‘potassium 4%’ or ‘Super Bud Xplosion, if the label only lists that it contains 4% potassium- that’s what it is.

Thanks.

No there is no other mystery. Prohibition leads to things like people growing plants in closets without much knowledge or info, and cannabis nutrient suppliers have capitalized on this. Talk to any farmer or gardener and you’ll never find them spending a fortune on full lineups of overpriced bottled nutrients which are 90-98% water. Cannabis is a plant like any other.

A lot of people here use Mega Crop, it's a one and done fertilizer. Just add the powder to water every time you water.

Very effective and much cheaper than the multiple bottle systems.

This x 100.

My 50 gal hydro rig runs me $20 for the nutes with Mega Crop. The popular bottles would be at least 10x that cost.

It also grows damn fine plants.

Thanks.

No there is no other mystery. Prohibition leads to things like people growing plants in closets without much knowledge or info, and cannabis nutrient suppliers have capitalized on this. Talk to any farmer or gardener and you’ll never find them spending a fortune on full lineups of overpriced bottled nutrients which are 90-98% water. Cannabis is a plant like any other.
Just 1 mans opinion but I disagree somewhat.

Around here farmers are willing to spend close to $700 for 50 lbs of canola seed which they grow & harvest. They sell that harvest for $8-$12/50lbs. The amount of $ they spend on chemicalized fertilizers and chemicalized killers is mind boggling.

It seems that I may be one of very few with this opinion... just saying:lot-o-toke:

So on this topic, I bought myself some cheap PK booster(powder). It says its 0-38-30 and gives mixing instructions. I'm assuming if I mix a batch as per instructions I would have a 0-38-30 mix... that seems pretty strong to me.

If I cut that 0-38-30 mix down by 5, eg; mix 1liter worth of powder into a 5 liter jug would I have a 0-7.6-6 mix?

If I cut that 0-38-30 mix down by 5, eg; mix 1liter worth of powder into a 5 liter jug would I have a 0-7.6-6 mix?

Hey Bob.
Yes.
But the mixing instructions given with it should account for its strength. 0–38-30 just means it’s 38% phosphorus and 30% potassium.

So it’s like the difference between drinking straight whisky, and whisky mixed in a drink or diluted 1:5 with water - same thing really but you have to vary the amount of the dose accordingly.

.... farmers are willing to spend close to $700 for 50 lbs of canola seed which they grow & harvest. They sell that harvest for $8-$12/50lbs.

Is there a typo here- or- I don’t think I understand the sentence re fertilizer.

I’m sure farmers have to spring for a fair amount of fertilizer. But they’ll be buying concentrated granular nutes - raw elements for the most part. In which case phosphorus is phosphorus, etc.

You will never ever see any sort of farmers, or really anyone other than hobby pot growers buying stuff like the AN nutrient line for example. That would be ludicrous. That sort of product is almost pure marketing and you’re paying for a label and an idea.

Thanks for the info.
Hey Bob.
Yes.
But the mixing instructions given with it should account for its strength. 0–38-30 just means it’s 38% phosphorus and 30% potassium.

So it’s like the difference between drinking straight whisky, and whisky mixed in a drink- same thing really but you have to vary the amount of the dose accordingly.

Is there a typo here- or- I don’t think I understand the sentence re fertilizer.

I’m sure farmers have to spring for a fair amount of fertilizer. But they’ll be buying concentrated granular nutes - raw elements for the most part. In which case phosphorus is phosphorus, etc.

You will never ever see anyone other than. pot growers buying the AN nutrient line for example. That would be ludicrous. That sort of product is almost pure marketing and you’re paying for a label and an idea.
What I ment is they speed $700 for 50lbs of seed, grow that seed and sell the harvest for 8-$12 /lb. They paid $700 for something they sell for $8-$12.

No they don't use AN nutes & your right about the granular stuff but we don't use the anhydrous ammonia or the vast range of herbicides & pesticides plus application of this stuff. Do not let your dogs go walking through farmers fields especially if there are fresh tracks in that field.

It’s a twisted state of affairs and I assume it relates to patented GMO seed and such monstrosities. Since time immemorial farmers have saved their own seed and replanted each spring.
Nature hates a monoculture. Hence the pesticides, and the flu...:(

This is my entire nutrient collection.
$5 a bag for the fertilisers (1Kg), and $10 for the ready mixed Cal-Mag.
I paid too much for the Cal-Mag, that'll be replaced with Epsom Salts $2/Kg.
For veg they get 20-10-30 +TE every day, Cal-Mag once a week.
For bloom they get 0-52-34 extra to the 20-10-30.
All at 1/4 recommended strength as I'm growing in coco.
IMG_20200326_103751.jpg

Hey Sarah so nice to see some Thai again ❤ I lived there for a few years. Cheers.
:passitleft:

To the OP. This may or may not work for you but if you want to gain some insight on nutrient elements check Skybound’s thread here. Making Your Own Nutrient Concentrates

I have a bunch of base chamicals in powder/crystal form. Available very very cheap on the net. This is the stuff that nutrient companies mix with water, label, and then sell to you at hugely inflated prices. Using these I can replicate any nutrient line. Currently I am using Mega Crop but I’ve used a bunch of different things iver the years including ‘fake Mega Crop’ made by mixing the base elements.

Also- every country has more farmers than dope growers so there are bound to be nutrient options where you are, Mega Crop or no Mega Crop.

Back
Top Bottom