FF Big Bloom & Nitrogen

TulsaJJ

420 Member
I'm curious why Fox Farm Big Bloom is recommended during the vegetative stage, but it doesn't have nitrogen? When using this product during veg, do you recommend adding additional nitrogen?

Yeah, it's supposed to be used with their Grow Big component. See their recommended feeding schedule:

As to whether you should add N during the vegetative growth phase, that sort of depends on how much is already in your soil, lol. Plants consume a lot of it, but not everyone grows in an insert, non-nutritive medium.

Ok, that makes sense. I'm not sure I'm going to stick with FF. There seems to be possibly better and less expensive options out there. I have a surplus of miracle grow(blue crystals), would you recommend one teaspoon per gallon in addition or another product for veg?

You're asking the wrong person on that one, lol, I don't even use Miracle Gro on tomatoes (and would celebrate if the entire Scott's Miracle-Gro monster was swallowed up by the very Earth, itself). Maybe someone who can stand the stuff would be able to discuss its use with cannabis with you. I do know that some folks used to use it 20+ years ago, and expect the some few still do.

If it's the only thing you have and can't afford anything else, then it makes sense to use it, I suppose.

The old Fox Farm trio (Grow Big, Big Bloom, and Tiger Bloom) does work okay, though, at least in soil, and the multiple components (and optional extras) allow the gardener to tailor the nutrients a bit to match each strain's/phenotype's needs and stage of development. But the same could be said for most multipart nutrient sets.

I actually use the MG for outdoor flowers - non ingestable kind. Since the cannabis is in veg and not in the process of bearing fruit, I thought MG may be ok (nitrogen is nitrogen). I'm willing to purchase something more acceptable but I'm looking for suggestions.

nitrogen is nitrogen

Will, not exactly, and I remember that (m. g.'s ratio of nitrogen types) as being one of the reasons I initially decided not to use the stuff years before I found out about the parent company's anti-{you name it, basically} business practices.

There's soluble and insoluble nitrogen, ammoniacal and nitrate nitrogen...

[/URL]

And then there's visiting one of our three grow journal sections, skimming through the first page or two of... lots of grow journals until you've created a small list of ones that caught your attention (some might use nutrient products you've used or at least heard/read about, others might introduce you to "new"products), and then spending some time reading them. For a purpose like this, I recommend the "Completed..." journal section, because you can follow along from start to finish without having to wait, because they (generally) went to a successful finish, and because most folks end up remaining subscribed to their old journals and, therefore, will notice if/when someone posts a question in one. They're found here:

Back
Top Bottom