Filters-In or out flow?

Macgyverup

Since carbon does not change characteristics if the flow of air is passing through in one direction or the other (my assumption), ie., the air to be filtered is passing in through the inlet or being forced from outside through the canister, which is the most common way filters that we use (Phresh filter is an example) for odor control are built. Can you take one of these filters and reverse the flow (assuming the filter is new) and still be as effective?

Secondly, if this is not effective way of using a filter for odor control, why not? I bring this up because I want to take a new Phresh filter and pipe the inside air from my grow room, that is being discharged through the A/C unit, and force it through the inlet.

I'm pretty sure that it makes no difference but I thought I'd ask anyway, lol.

What do you think?

:tokin:

Since carbon does not change characteristics if the flow of air is passing through in one direction or the other (my assumption), ie., the air to be filtered is passing in through the inlet or being forced from outside through the canister, which is the most common way filters that we use (Phresh filter is an example) for odor control are built. Can you take one of these filters and reverse the flow (assuming the filter is new) and still be as effective?

Secondly, if this is not effective way of using a filter for odor control, why not? I bring this up because I want to take a new Phresh filter and pipe the inside air from my grow room, that is being discharged through the A/C unit, and force it through the inlet.

I'm pretty sure that it makes no difference but I thought I'd ask anyway, lol.

What do you think?

:tokin:

I'm no expert on this topic - not even close. I will say that I have a (I think Phresh) filter that I "push" air through like you are suggesting and it works fine. I've heard that the fans themselves work better "pulling" through the filter (as opposed to pushing it like you are suggesting and like I do). Not sure, just know that it can be done that way. I'm getting no odor as long as humidity is kept in check.

Someone told me that you should put the 'prefilter' on the inside somehow to do it this way (pushing) - but I didn't (it's still on the outside) and it's working great, fwiw.

Hope this helps some. :goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom