Finding The Right Light

Narla

I currently run a Mars Hydro Reflector 96x5 (175 watts) in my 4x4x6 flowering room. The results have been good so far, but I only have enough light coverage for one lady and I was hoping to run 3-5 girls in this room (maybe scrog?). What kind of light recommendations could you recommend to cover this space and flower effectively for roughly $300?

Here are a couple of images of my current room:
COVsaup.jpg

Cl6AhYs.jpg

C3ecZgr.jpg

I was looking at this kit
retrokit.png
for $198.97 with the add-on bulb "Philips Mastercolor CDM-T Elite 315W Agro Lamp T12 - 3100ºK" for $79.23, which comes out $283.48 with shipping. After that I would just need to get a reflector and I heard that a 38" parabolic reflector would be ideal for my space, but I don't know if it would light efficiently with a 315 CMH bulb. Would that be enough to light my room without the mars hydro reflector, or would that be required as well?

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Damn.. Was that grown from start to finish under that 300w? Wicked job.

I used a mars hydro 1200. I found with the led the heat isnt an issue. So I over do it and just raise the height or fan.

But 300$ Id say, 2 of these would tear your garden a new one.
71FsxjBp8kL_SL1200_.jpg

Would be cool as they will all be slightly different spectrums. Then throw an HPS, MH, and some UV. ok. right. 300.

:p Two of these would compliment nice.

Consider an hps? Yields and potency from led/hps seem consistently nice.

2 x
61Gw3VAyMcL_SL1000_.jpg

I like single units for angle.

I'm running 3 plants under an old model Mars Hydro 600W (272W actual @ 220v) and they are doing fine in a 80*80*160cm space. If you are in the US you could probably get your hands on two of those for around $300 (so 544W in total).

However their recommended coverage is 2.5*2ft(Veg),2*1.5ft(Flowering) so it wouldn't be ideal coverage for your space.

Like you were already thinking, for that price you are probably better going with a more traditional lighting method (or multiples of) but I don't know enough to offer suggestions in that area sorry.

Edit: Just wanted to make sure that heat wasn't an issue for you, I tried to run an MH in my setup initially but had to switch to LED due to high temps

Damn.. Was that grown from start to finish under that 300w? Wicked job.

That was actually started under 2x CFL's and then moved to T5's for the remaining of veg cycle. Moved her under the led to flower, and as of right now she has been in 12/12 for 47 days, but the first sign of any true flowering was 40 days ago.

I'm running 3 plants under an old model Mars Hydro 600W (272W actual @ 220v) and they are doing fine in a 80*80*160cm space. If you are in the US you could probably get your hands on two of those for around $300 (so 544W in total).

However their recommended coverage is 2.5*2ft(Veg),2*1.5ft(Flowering) so it wouldn't be ideal coverage for your space.

Like you were already thinking, for that price you are probably better going with a more traditional lighting method (or multiples of) but I don't know enough to offer suggestions in that area sorry.

Edit: Just wanted to make sure that heat wasn't an issue for you, I tried to run an MH in my setup initially but had to switch to LED due to high temps

I have heard fantastic things about the 315w CMH bulbs, such as the Philips Mastercolor CDM-T Elite mentioned in the first post. However, I'm not positive on what kind of coverage I would be getting with that bulb.. or what kind of reflector I should be going with. I had someone recommend me a 32"-38" parabolic reflector, but I was under the impression that those were typically for 1,000 watt bulbs.. would a 315w CMH bulb be sufficient for my area? I'm also a bit weary about the conversion kit that includes the ballast.. the price is nice in my opinion, but is it going to be enough for what I want?

Personally I would look at getting a 600 watt HID setup for that area. 600 watt HID is a decent amount of light for a 4'x4' space and your LED can supplement it nicely. While the CMH lights are held in high regard, I wonder if you would need more than one. Icemud is the man we need in here.

Personally I would look at getting a 600 watt HID setup for that area. 600 watt HID is a decent amount of light for a 4'x4' space and your LED can supplement it nicely. While the CMH lights are held in high regard, I wonder if you would need more than one. Icemud is the man we need in here.

I bet I would need more than one if I didn't plan on using my LED to supplement. I just need the most cost effective method to light up my entire room and produce good buds.

I forgot to paste in the link in the first post to check out the kit that I was interested in.. you can find it here with more information - Ceramic Science 315W CMH Conversion Kit

I've just really been set on that since I have seen it and I don't want to keep drooling over it and making it my option if it's not really a good deal or something that would work effectively for what I need.

You might want to do a little more research on CMH then if you are set on that. Most CMH fixtures I have seen have the bulb in a vertical configuration, so CMH may not be best utilized in a traditional horizontal reflector. I understand trying to save some money, but I think you are going to get substandard results. If you are set on CMH, which has great reviews from anyone I have ever heard of using them, pony up the money to get the Sun Systems 315 LEC setup. A little more money, but the whole system is designed to make the most of the CMH bulb.

You might want to do a little more research on CMH then if you are set on that. Most CMH fixtures I have seen have the bulb in a vertical configuration, so CMH may not be best utilized in a traditional horizontal reflector. I understand trying to save some money, but I think you are going to get substandard results. If you are set on CMH, which has great reviews from anyone I have ever heard of using them, pony up the money to get the Sun Systems 315 LEC setup. A little more money, but the whole system is designed to make the most of the CMH bulb.

I am not necessarily set on CMH.. I just want to make my room light up to flower a room full of beauties for roughly $300. I am open to all options and suggestions here. I do have trouble making choices though and it has taken me months to get this far.. was hoping to have something ordered soon. I could really use some input and suggestions.. I'm trying to avoid led's unless it's the higher power chips, but those are out of my price range and supersede my skill set when it comes to diy.

I am confused about the Sun Systems 315 LEC setup though.. make makes it so special? The bulb in the kit that I linked is the exact same bulb.. is the ballast helping it perform any better, or is the cost of the setup merely the reflector with the built in ballast?

Edit: Should I be looking more into the 600 watt range for my 4x4x6 room size? I honestly don't know where to look.. I could browse the web until my fingers fall off, but I won't be able to sift through all the subliminal advertising for products from companies and "reviewers".

I can help. :cheesygrinsmiley: I've done a lot of the legwork you're talking about.

I have a similar space 4x4x7 and I did very well with six plants under a 600W hps. I typically got 2.5 oz per plant. Then I switched to a 540W LED and yield went down a bit. Now I have 5 panels totalling 1060 watts and like the porridge, this is just right. :laughtwo:

I'd recommend 4 of the old style Mars-Hydro 60x5 panels, drawing 130 watts each. They'll currently set you back about $250 shipped. Put one in each corner and run the 96x5 in the middle. That'll be more than enough!

:thumb:

The CMH is a great bulb and I'd like to try a vertical one myself in the middle position. I have an old 400 watt model running off an hps ballast, but these new 315s are better. But you'll still get more for your money from the 500+ watts the 60x5s would get you.

I am not necessarily set on CMH.. I just want to make my room light up to flower a room full of beauties for roughly $300. I am open to all options and suggestions here. I do have trouble making choices though and it has taken me months to get this far.. was hoping to have something ordered soon. I could really use some input and suggestions.. I'm trying to avoid led's unless it's the higher power chips, but those are out of my price range and supersede my skill set when it comes to diy.

I am confused about the Sun Systems 315 LEC setup though.. make makes it so special? The bulb in the kit that I linked is the exact same bulb.. is the ballast helping it perform any better, or is the cost of the setup merely the reflector with the built in ballast?

Edit: Should I be looking more into the 600 watt range for my 4x4x6 room size? I honestly don't know where to look.. I could browse the web until my fingers fall off, but I won't be able to sift through all the subliminal advertising for products from companies and "reviewers".

Yes, I would be looking towards the 600 watt range for your room because of the size. If you are willing to spend the additional $200 or so then I would look at the LEC 315, people who have used them say they can keep up with a 600 watt HID. The LEC setup is advantageous because the reflector it comes with is designed specifically to make the most of the bulb, unlike a traditional horizontal reflector.

I can help. :cheesygrinsmiley: I've done a lot of the legwork you're talking about.

I have a similar space 4x4x7 and I did very well with six plants under a 600W hps. I typically got 2.5 oz per plant. Then I switched to a 540W LED and yield went down a bit. Now I have 5 panels totalling 1060 watts and like the porridge, this is just right. :laughtwo:

I'd recommend 4 of the old style Mars-Hydro 60x5 panels, drawing 130 watts each. They'll currently set you back about $250 shipped. Put one in each corner and run the 96x5 in the middle. That'll be more than enough!

:thumb:

The CMH is a great bulb and I'd like to try a vertical one myself in the middle position. I have an old 400 watt model running off an hps ballast, but these new 315s are better. But you'll still get more for your money from the 500+ watts the 60x5s would get you.

Graytail is speaking from experience and is offering a nice, budget LED setup for your closet.

Back
Top Bottom