First Attempt At Breeding & Seed Making

Canadian Joe

I’m new at messing with the concept of breeding. I don’t know much about the effects of inbreeding, crossing, F1’s, etc so please take that into mind if I sound like a newbie. I’ve been growing indoor and outdoor for probably 25 years and recently decided to spray colloidal silver on a Feminized Barney’s Farm CBD Critical Cure which took about 2 weeks to show male pollen sacks. I harvested the pollen and carefully applied it to a single bud site ,with a tiny oil paint brush, of another CBD Critical Cure from the same seed pack at week 3. I covered the bud with a paper sack for 5 days to keep the pollen from spreading as I saw in a YouTube video by a breeder. I’m starting week 7 now and the seeds are already starting to peek out of their “calyxes?”, is that the word. Anyways, it seems that this test was a success so does anyone know what the seeds would be called? Feminized inbredding of a stable strain? It was only a test and I plan to try actual breeding with a male and female from regular seeds soon.

Thanks, Joe

I’m new at messing with the concept of breeding. I don’t know much about the effects of inbreeding, crossing, F1’s, etc so please take that into mind if I sound like a newbie. I’ve been growing indoor and outdoor for probably 25 years and recently decided to spray colloidal silver on a Feminized Barney’s Farm CBD Critical Cure which took about 2 weeks to show male pollen sacks. I harvested the pollen and carefully applied it to a single bud site ,with a tiny oil paint brush, of another CBD Critical Cure from the same seed pack at week 3. I covered the bud with a paper sack for 5 days to keep the pollen from spreading as I saw in a YouTube video by a breeder. I’m starting week 7 now and the seeds are already starting to peek out of their “calyxes?”, is that the word. Anyways, it seems that this test was a success so does anyone know what the seeds would be called? Feminized inbredding of a stable strain? It was only a test and I plan to try actual breeding with a male and female from regular seeds soon.

Thanks, Joe
Ok,

All the below is based on research, not actual used knowledge

This would be called an F1 in breeder nomenclature. It's a feminized seed in the 1st generation.

There are some very important things to know when breeding.

First, it is never a good idea to breed a plant with itself. It's the same as a bother and a sister having a baby. Genetics can be ugly.

I've heard it is ok to breed two seeds from the same plant. Grow them both and use one to pollinate the other.

Every time you do this, you add a digit to the number. The first round is F1, the seeds of that bred together create F2. So one and so forth.

It can sometimes take up to F5 (or more) to get a stable strain. Stable means every seed looks the same when grown and have the same traits.

When breeding, most breeders grow multiple plants (4 or more) and pick the two to further the genetic line based on what traits they want to pass along. (smell, height, looks, etc).

Hope this helps, but it is regurgitated information.

isnt the only way to get feminized seeds, is from pollenating itself with itself? From what Ive gathered, there is no genetic drift from this process, unless it was stressed and had a horrible life, which is probably my case, LOL..

isnt the only way to get feminized seeds, is from pollenating itself with itself? From what Ive gathered, there is no genetic drift from this process, unless it was stressed and had a horrible life, which is probably my case, LOL..

Now I admit, I'm not the most experienced person with regard to breeding, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

By my research, you do not want to pollinate a plant with its own pollen. This can cause genetic problems/mutations. I've read that you want to make a plant go hermie with chemicals, and use that pollen to pollinate another plant. Either a plant of the same strain or another plant of a different strain.

What I've read, there is no drift if you cross breed seeds from the same plant (two seeds do not have identical DNA, just have the same DNA lineage). I think if you pollinate a plant with its own pollen the genetics get all weird. Chromosomes get all crossed up, because they are genetically the same.

But like I stated, this is what I've read and believe. That doesn't mean that I'm correct.

your right bonsai, i just watched Lex world, surprised he even still has a channel. everyone got whacked this week, alll of them are almost gone. ill get more into this later bro, my 420 dinner from my lovely wife is done. Steak homemad taters, umm

Now I admit, I'm not the most experienced person with regard to breeding, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

By my research, you do not want to pollinate a plant with its own pollen. This can cause genetic problems/mutations. I've read that you want to make a plant go hermie with chemicals, and use that pollen to pollinate another plant. Either a plant of the same strain or another plant of a different strain.

What I've read, there is no drift if you cross breed seeds from the same plant (two seeds do not have identical DNA, just have the same DNA lineage). I think if you pollinate a plant with its own pollen the genetics get all weird. Chromosomes get all crossed up, because they are genetically the same.

But like I stated, this is what I've read and believe. That doesn't mean that I'm correct.

I think he said it was from another CBD. So that could be a true breed of the strain (if the parents were)? Unless the seeds were F1 hybrids themselves, then it could be almost anything?

Need to do more reading.

2 weeks, everyday, from the first day you flower. AND, do not consume sprayed plant.

Does any1 know when i should start spraying my auto plants down with colloidal silver to get pollen??

Sorry, just noticed autos. Spray when you first see preflowers, then spray right up till you see pollen sacks start to open, which is usually 10 days from when they form. was for me anyways,..

2 weeks, everyday, from the first day you flower. AND, do not consume sprayed plant.

I'm going to say this in a delicate manner, but no one get their panties bunched. CS is an immobile chemical. As long as you POSITIVELY protect the plant, you can consume the rest that has NOT been touched by CS.

We know it is immobile, for it doesn't turn the whole plant to male.

Now when I say this, if you have any doubts about your ability to contain the CS from landing on the rest of the plant, I wouldn't chance it.

@TheMadDabber did CS pollen, and the way he protected the rest of the plant, was probably what I would do. A cut milk jug (or similar) slipped over the limb to be a "spray guard" for the rest of the plant. Only he could relay how effective it was.

This is only my opinion though.

Sorry, just noticed autos. Spray when you first see preflowers, then spray right up till you see pollen sacks start to open, which is usually 10 days from when they form. was for me anyways,..
Thanx man much appreciated cuz im jus getting to tht point now with a few autos and want some beans lol can i do one or two branches an leave the rest of the plant to make buds or no?

I'm going to say this in a delicate manner, but no one get their panties bunched. CS is an immobile chemical. As long as you POSITIVELY protect the plant, you can consume the rest that has NOT been touched by CS.

We know it is immobile, for it doesn't turn the whole plant to male.

Now when I say this, if you have any doubts about your ability to contain the CS from landing on the rest of the plant, I wouldn't chance it.

@TheMadDabber did CS pollen, and the way he protected the rest of the plant, was probably what I would do. A cut milk jug (or similar) slipped over the limb to be a "spray guard" for the rest of the plant. Only he could relay how effective it was.

This is only my opinion though.

Lol i shuda jus kept reading haha i jus asked this but would this work for autos one r 2 branches ata a time?

Subbed in folks, the timing of this thread is perfect for me. I have three small Clones from my mother plant that I flowered early.
If I could find some pollen that is a compliment I could breed my smallest and keep her isolated from the rest if need be. It has a fragrance that is some sort of Citrus/Lemon Haze Sativa. It's a complete experiment so I think it would be interesting to make some seeds out of one of the little clones.

Thanx man much appreciated cuz im jus getting to tht point now with a few autos and want some beans lol can i do one or two branches an leave the rest of the plant to make buds or no?

Now, when I speak about breeding (or just making more seeds), I talking from research, not from actual experience doing it.

I'm quite funny about the idea of taking pollen and pollinating the same plant with its own pollen. I believe (key words here), that you shouldn't pollinate the buds from the same plant the pollen came from. The chromosomal issues could be an unhappy thing. I see it as a brother and sister having a child. Genetic problems are not guaranteed, but the chance is high. I would personally pollinate another plant of the same variety. (two Northern light autos or two blueberry autos etc). I don't think breeding two seeds from the same mother as a bad thing. The chromosomal issues can arise, but the chances go down drastically by statistics.

I know some will argue this fact. But I believe some of the genetic problems people are seeing in the industry are from inbreeding a single plant.

I'm saying all of this to give an insight into the possibilities of having problems should you inbreed a single plant. Not to discourage you from doing so. I think people should do what they are comfortable with.

Now, when I speak about breeding (or just making more seeds), I talking from research, not from actual experience doing it.

I'm quite funny about the idea of taking pollen and pollinating the same plant with its own pollen. I believe (key words here), that you shouldn't pollinate the buds from the same plant the pollen came from. The chromosomal issues could be an unhappy thing. I see it as a brother and sister having a child. Genetic problems are not guaranteed, but the chance is high. I would personally pollinate another plant of the same variety. (two Northern light autos or two blueberry autos etc). I don't think breeding two seeds from the same mother as a bad thing. The chromosomal issues can arise, but the chances go down drastically by statistics.

I know some will argue this fact. But I believe some of the genetic problems people are seeing in the industry are from inbreeding a single plant.

I'm saying all of this to give an insight into the possibilities of having problems should you inbreed a single plant. Not to discourage you from doing so. I think people should do what they are comfortable with.

Its funny u bring tht issue up cuz way back when i first started working on the strain im making right now i was wondering the same thing but yea right now im collecting pollen to add it to the cross im working on plus i want to make some more auto beans and i figured since autos r on a timed life span it wud increase chances of making premature seeds if not left to grow long enuf so i figured i wud get pollen from one plant then use the pollen on another plant from a different seed of same strain the i wud for sure have enuf time 4 the seed 2 fully develope plus not have to worry bout hermy trait passing on or increasing if all tht makes any sense lol

Man, i cant wait to pop a new bean. Got a bunch of brown ones, but waiting at least 2 weeks for them to dry out. Im going to be calling this new seed, " Bag of Fire" Ahh. Still have 3/4th of this bush to chop,

Something else, there is alot of bud on these branches. I still just cure normally with the seeds on the stems, right? Because there is a bunch i can salvage for smoke and coconut oil extraction. Just picking out the calix shells off the seeds so not to get it in the scarps for the oil, would probably give a bad flavor, or no?

Back
Top Bottom