First attempt at DWC

Swampass

I am by no means an experienced grower. Im learning new stuff everyday and loving it. I decided to try out DWC and see if I prefer it to soil. Ive always grown in promix hp and had decent success. I ordered a 5 gallon kit by Power Grow from amazon for 33 bucks. Im using Advanced nutrients Sensi grow and bloom ph perfect line. The plant is an Atomical Haze by paradise seeds. I change the res out every Saturday. At this point Im 4 weeks into flowering and I have to say Im impressed. The growth is ridiculous. Its bushy and wide as it is tall. I prob need to do some type of training with it but I dont have a clue about how to at this point. Never had to do any type of training with the plants in soil. I still have a over 6 weeks left in flowering so this things gonna be a monster. I can tell that my grow space prob isnt big enough for more than 1 or 2 plants growing in dwc. I might stay with the dwc unless I have a major catastrophe. What you fellers think?
IMG_236112.JPG
IMG_236016.JPG

Looks great!

Technically you can train all the way through but it really shouldn't be done after a few weeks into bloom. Eventually if all goes well instead of training you will be tying up the kolas (opposite of training) to keep the stalks from breaking. Training should be done in the beginning and then left alone once you get past the transition stretch. I think if that pic is today you are early enough along that you can still get away with it but you might want to just let this one go at this point. Training induces stress in the plant that it has to overcome so not the best for bloom. It also adds a few weeks to veg depending what you do but if you do it right your yield can go way up.

If you want to max your yield from a 2 plant grow then read up on a SCROG, FIMing and Lolloping your plant.

Happy trails

Yeah Ill prob just let her go this time. Just got me caught off guard how big she got so fast. Next time Ill have my shit together. :thumb:

Very nice, very nice.

Can I trim this thing up? Or should I leave it alone. Its starting to encroach on the other plants. I dont want to cripple it just trim some of the side growth.

hmmmm....

If it is encroaching on others then definitely do not bend it out.

So again generally you don't want to mess with it during bloom. Near the end of bloom leaves will yellow and turn down and when they do this if they want to come off you can yank them but go easy. They will come off if they are ready.

During veg you can do all kinds of mayhem. You can even break stalks and if they are not totally broken off they will continue to grow and make nice buds. You can do all kinds of stuff.

But to answer your question directly you should understand how the plant works. The Fan leaves (which is what you want to cut) are the main source of turning light (which is the real food) into what the plant needs for growth. If you cut the fan leaves then the buds will be smaller in most cases. The best option is to tuck the fan leaves out of the way so the new ones and the buds get light.

Anther point to understand is what happens when you cut a plant. Just like when you get cut and your body creates a clot then a scab, a plant will have an odd reaction. It releases hormones in the area that stops growth to enable healing. The energy is put into healing not growth at that time. This is one of 2 reasons why early on if you FIM a plant or pinch off the main stem the rest grow big. The main stem, if growing well, sends out a hormone to inhibit growth else where so it can grow as fast as possible and get as tall as possible to collect pollen for breeding. When it gets damaged that hormone stops going elsewhere and stays in the main stalk so it can repair. So when you do this intentionally the other stalks see a reduction in this stunting hormone and start to grow faster.

The point is that every time you cut a plant it releases these stunting hormones in that area to allow for healing. Now like you, a cut here or there don't mean a thang. But if we cut your leg off it would be a big deal and you would have to put a lot of energy into healing before moving on. General Pruning, like lolloping a plant, is best when kept at less than 1/3 the total plant in one week otherwise you will induce stunting in the plant in general.

SO...

If you go around and start cutting fan leaves near bud sites then you are releasing stunting hormone near a bud which you don't want AND simultaneously you are removing its main source of food for growth as fan leaves are the food source.

Now if you want to remove a few down near the bottom where all you are getting is popcorn anyway that is fine. However most people stop pruning after stretch. Many people will not prune at all in bloom for these reasons.

This is classic learning curve stuff. In fact again I say leave it and learn from it. There is little you can do now to improve it at this point and at best all you can achieve is a minor improvement and more likely you may hamper it. Better to watch what happens and learn from it. More important learn what kind of stretch you get with your lights and setup and learn when to start bloom next time. This run is essentially in the record books so let it go. Learn from it and start your bloom a week earlier next time.

If you are doing things right a plant will at least double from veg to completion and usually more. This always trips out new growers. They don't want to bloom a 12 inch plant... but if you only have 36 inches or real growing space above the pot (say a 5-6 foot total grow space, 1 for the pot and 1 for the light so you have 3 for the plant) it is probably best to start at no more than 12".

:peace:

I understand what your saying. Ill let things be. If I had the one plant or maybe 2 I'd be fine. I have 3 going and its gonna be tight at the end. I never expected this baby to go so big. The dwc growth curve caught me off guard. If Im gonna have a problem...... I guess not enough space is one to have. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
:thanks:

I would definitely recommend tucking the fan leaves. When you do that if they are not getting light then they will naturally wilt after a week or so and then just fall off and the plant is not getting shocked at all. I tuck every day. It will work just the same for getting light there if you are aggressive enough and tuck under a tuck under a tuck.

Beautiful plant. seeing how its an Auto it should not stretch to much. Once you run DWC you will never grow soil again,its so much easier,plants grow quicker. I also run AN ph Perfect so simple. Currently have a 6 1/2 foot beast in a 4x4x7 tent. The Void, as the CAPN Said the Longer the Veg the greater the Yield. Yeah I messed up and vegged for 60 days, but live n learn. Good luck with your grow Bro!!

Thanks bud! Well its not an auto....its a full 10-12 week flowering strain. I vegged her for 6 weeks because she was short and bushy. I think the light was too close and I didnt get much stretch if any. Only 4 weeks left!

The strain is atomical haze. Sill have 3-4 weeks left so I have no idea what the yield will be. Plants have been under LED with some cfl's.

That looks great. You're a little farther than me on first DWC. What is the diameter of your large fan leaves (rough estimate)?

Back
Top Bottom