First Attempt at Growing - Advice Welcome!

whiterasta420

hey everyone im very glad to finally have made an account on here. i have read through several completed journals and the people on this site seem so friendly and helpful. i have taken the plunge and have got 5 plants growing at the moment under a 125w cfl that's actual watt not equivalent. i started with just 2 bag seed so if i messed up and killed them i wouldn't be so disappointed. at first they seemed to growing great but now one of them looks as though i have burnt her(well fingers crossed its a her) it cannot be nute burn i have not used any nutes and i am growing in coco coir so no nutes in the medium either after having read several pages i have come to conclusion and this is an uneducated guess but i believe it is where i was watering and got some water on the foliage however my cfll gives off very little heat but i did have it about 2 inches away i have now moved the light further away until i see some real growth. i am going to add some pics in just a sec.. any advice/criticism will be appreciated thank you

Re: first attempt at growing!! i say attempt because already going wrong

20140103_190021.jpg
20140103_190036.jpg

these are my 2 bagseed i think maybe i put them into pots too big for them but im a beginner i was expecting to make some errors

20140106_110601.jpg
20140106_110604.jpg
20140106_110611.jpg

so not sure if you can see it clearly as im using my phone camera but the one plant has what appears to be burnt leaves im not sure what i have done? but i am thinking burnt from water on leaves and light to close maybe a 125w cfl is still to powerful at this stage? however the good thing is my other plant looks ok to me not sure what you all think you are much more experienced than me haha

20140106_110640.jpg
20140106_110634.jpg
20140106_110629.jpg

sorry for flooding my page in minutes but these are the last pics for now i just want you all to meet the newest members of the family these are the ones i do not want to mess up the first and second pics are big bang and the last one is ak48 all feminazed so hopefully get something going here with the help of the pros on here :D

Hey there whiterasta420 and welcome to :420:

Im sorry that it may be taking awhile to get some folks here to help but patience is a virtue ;).

With that being said i will give as much help as i can. First off what is the soil that you are using. It looks to have no perlite .Cannabis needs a very well draining soil and the perlite does just that in your soil. I usually cut any soil that i use with about 30-40% perlite. And this includes coco coir. With your light, about 6-8 inches should be close enough. When transplanting you want to make sure that you have an established root zone before. In the pots you have there they would be good for 3-4 weeks before needing transplanted. When ever transplanting you want to make sure there is a root ball not just some roots in the soil. I made that mistake with my current girl i have in flower, transplanted to soon and her roots were damaged because there was no ball, just some stringy roots. If you can get some clear plastic cups to put over your babies that would help keep the humidity high right around the babies. When it comes to feeding im not familiar with coco so im not sure how soon you should start feeding, hopefully with my response you get some master growers coming through here, im kinda new to the game my self. And then to watering, you want to be very careful not to over water. It is the biggest mistake by rookies lol. I killed a bush with over watering. It was devastating lol. But with seedlings you only want to water what they can use. So in the size of pots that you have you only need to give them a half a cup at a time and wait for that to fry before watering again. Cannabis like wet dry cycles. Its good for there roots to have to go out searching a bit for water. I hope all this rambling has helped you out at all. Any other questions just shoot them out and i will do my best to answer!!!!

Have a safe Monday my friend!!!

p.s.
I love your name!!!! haha:thumb::welcome::bravo::420::peace::Namaste::goodjob:

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

here is one of the best reads for understanding your plants. I use this all the time also, like outragedplutos said add perlite to get a drainage they look fine to me might be a little burn from the light just move the lights up. Let them dryout completely and then water them. also what are your temps and humidity?

thank you both for replying i have been worried sick thinking its dying i think maybe i over watered them all because i have let about 10-20% run off come through i have seen some people do it this way and others were just misting the soil throughout the day unfortunately i work very long hours on the weekend so i was worried they may dry out i belive it would be easier to fix a plant that has had too much water and just let it dry out than for it do die from not enough lol but i plan on letting it get pretty dry before watering again i was thinking of getting some perlite but thought coco was ok without it seems to be pretty airy but if you recomend perlite i will add some to my mix when i transplant them as i dont want to do anything to disturb them any more for now lol so with perlite i have read some people mix it all together and i have also seen some people use either pebbles,perlite or vermiculite at the bottom of the pot like 1 inch or so as this gives plenty of drainage so which is best to mix it all up or just a layer at the bottom? i am using proffesional grade coco that has been washed and buffered. my temps are steady at around 20c/68f and not sure of humidity i am getting a hygrometer tommorow hopefully the will live til then thanks again for your replies

ok temps need to be up more during lights on 75-82 that well help the soil dry out faster. also humidity needs to be around 30-50 in veg stage. i put perlite on the bottom and mix it in my soil as well, get the kind medium size chucks of perlite. i use 5 gallon pots and i put perlite about 4-5in at the bottom and mix it in my ffof as well. im newbie as well just keep going you get it down

thanks leaf my lights are on 24/7 not doing 18/6 or anything staying on 24/0 til pre flowers come out then switch to 12/12 im only using one cfl at the minute 125w but thinking of buying anohter then when it comes to flowering i want to get 2x 250w 2700k cfls and maybe some extras for dark spots also how benificial are smaller cfls during the veg stage as i have a few 30w 2700k lying around so might throw them in now? i will definately get some perlite for when i next transplant will it effect there growth as its always recomended to use the same medium as the where in before if i mix perlite its changing things up abit thank you sorry for all the questions

:welcome: To :420:

You have found the right place to be, I'm sure more knowledgeable growers will be along shortly to help address your issues.

When you transplant, the plant will take a few days to acclimatize itself to its new digs, other than that I don't think perlite mixture can do anything but help.

Mj DOES NOT like wet feet!! BIG, BIG mistake made by newbies is over watering. Force yourself not to give them "a bit" more

Be very careful not to get water droplets on your leaves. The water droplets will act as a tiny magnifier under your lights and burn the leaves,, later when you have a standardized light schedule, you should water at lights out.

You don't really need a huge amount of light for seedlings or clones, I put them under a 60 watt cfl until they get 4 or 5 nodes and are ready for 1/4 nutes.

If you use a cover, remember to remove it for a bit daily. If your plant doesn't like this (wilting), replace the cover and cut the open air time down to where the plant doesn't mind. Your plants won't need a lid for long from the looks of things. Like everything else with this plant, just don't overdo things. K.I.S.S.

You will no doubt get yellow leaves on the bottom of your seedlings, this is natural, as the seedling draws nutrients from these leaves until you start your 1/4 strength feeding.

Happy growing

thank you for your help i have now put plastic cups over the new seedlings for a cheap humidity dome well 2 plastic cups and a small glass does glass make a difference? or will it be ok for a day or 2 you think my 2 bigger ones are ready for nutes there not even a week old yet? also thats another thing i reli could use some help with im using plant magic coco grow a+b but the little slip it comes from is measuring in ec i do not have an ec meter or ppm meter has anyone used these nutes and could possibly give me an amount in ml or half a mil etc mixed with how much water i knwo the saying less is more with these so i reli just need the weakest solution i can make but i dont know where to even begin if i use 1mil of each with say 2litres is this too much or too little? thanks for the help

You don't start feeding nutes until you have 4 or 5 nodes on your stalk. Start out at 1/4 strength nutes and build up slowly until you reach full strength. This will take about a month.

I am unfamiliar with your nutes, so I can't really give any advice there, KingJohnC, McLoadie, or Ricorico and many others can give you accurate info on this.

One more thing, you neglected to say what you are raising. What strain? Autoflower? Regular?

Once you get going strong, these things all make a difference in the advice you're given. For instance; if you have autos, they should be transplanted to their permanent home, regulars should be transplanted to slightly larger pots a few times to allow a good root ball to develop.

You probably should make this a regular journal to get good, continuing input from this great site

I'm subbed here.

Hope this helps

hi bluefly thank you for the advice i will have to try to find these members for some help with nutes as the bit of card it came with advises everthing in ec i know electrical current and ppm are important but in my opinion there not as important as a ph meter which i do have i just need to find a rough amount in ml`s to mix with litres etc sorry i thought i put the strains under the pics the 2 bigger seedlings are unknown strains(bagseed) but the 3 new additions are big bang and ak48 i have 2 big bang 1 ak 48 so a bit of a mix but each strain will grow differently to the other i hope so ive kinda jumped in the deep end as i learn better that way rather than get 5 of the same strain that may grown uniformly im hoping to get more/better experience out of trying to grow several strains at once as they may react differently to the light nutes medium they may grow at diferent speeds so it really gives me something to learn from im not expecting to get huge yeild its my very first time trying to grow anything to be honest i never usually stick at things but so far seeing them grow is just getting me more and more excited the first thing i do when i wake up is pop my head in the cupboard to say hi to my plants seeing them grow so quick is amazing i honestly never looked into it before so i just assumed they take liek a year to grow i figured thats why a gram cost so much because there difficult or take a very long time to grow but from reading many books and journals thats is obviously not the case. i bought feminized seeds so hopefully they stay female and dont go hermie on me if i dont stress them out to much but thats is another reason why i decided to go with bagseed is because its the mystery of not knowing what it is even if there male i dont care at this point its all just experience it gives me some experience identifying sex etc but obviously i am hoping for 2 mysteriously wonderful females but the chances of that actually happening are near nothing haha thank you for subbing yes i plan to make it a regular journal i have read many completed journals and the advise on this site is incredible such a vast amount of knowledge from many different growers its fantastic i will be updating regularly i need to try to find a better way of uploading pics though as i had to email them to myself so could use the laptop to upload them as i couldnt seem to upload them from my phone :/ not sure will look again but i will be posting more pics for sure probably every day or so whenever something new and exciting happens which at the moment is ever few hours hahah i cant stop myself feeling overjoyed when i see new leafs forming or they get taller etc i know this feeling of sheer excitement might doe down after my first harvest but until then i plan to irritate everyone with an insane amount of pictures and updates :D thanks again

oh and sorry they are regular feminised seeds not ruderails/autos i want to squeeze as much information and experience out of this grow as i can i want to get pre flowers then think right now is time to switch lights to 12/12 not just sit back and let it all happen on its own and i dont mean that in an offences way to any growers on here growing autos its just my plan and my views i like to be as involved as possible and at the end of it all i can think yeah you did that

Re: First attempt at growing!! i say attempt because already going wrong

hey guys and girls i got some more pics for you with this update i have been to my local hydro and purchased another 125w cfl so now have 5 seedlings under 250 watt 6500k hope this will be enough to complete my vegetative growth after which i will be replacing the bulbs with 125w 2700k bulbs i would of like to switch them to 250w bulbs but i found out today that my reflector can only use 125w ans the 250 bulbs use a different fitting so to get the higher watt bulbs i would need to replace the reflectors too and as this is my first grow i dont want to blow loads of money on it for it to not work out however i have a few lamp holders so when i switch to flower i will have 2x125 under the reflectors and then 2-4 lamp holders with 35w 2700k bulbs in for side lighting and to cover any shaded areas how does that sound guys do you think that will be enough or am i going to fail miserably? i am going hoping to either supercrop or LST them to keep them short and bushy i really have no idea what to expect from my lights anyone who has grown with cfls with similar watts any advice or just let me know how your grow went etc would be appreciated. also i took the advice and now have a bag of perlite ready to mix in when i transplant. i now have a digital thermometer/hygrometer which has a min/max reading on it so now i will be able to give more info on my temps and humidity many thanks for reading guys will post the pics now as always any advice or criticism will be appreciated :thanks:

as you can see 1 of my little seedlings looks pretty messed up the cotyledons or however you spell it seem to be hanging down doesnt look to healthy but until i get some advice from you guys i am not going to start fiddling around and possibly mess it up even more and btw the lamps were moved up for the pics to be taken they are quite close to the lager seedlings the new addition are under plastic cups to keep the humidity up well 2 are under plastic one is under glass not sure if the glass is bad or not but i shall see what you guys think thanks for stopping by everyone

Back
Top Bottom