First Attempt At Making Hash

So I harvested my first plants a couple of weeks ago - Purple Skunk Mass. They still have a couple weeks left in the cure jars. But honestly, I think I overdried them. They had a grass/hay smell that has dissipated a bit, but it's still somewhat noticeable.

At any rate, I decided to try to make a little hash. I just got a 73 micron bubble hash bag in today and wanted to try it out.

I took the little bit of wet trim I had in the freezer and laid it out on newspaper to dry a few days ago. I figured it's just for fun, so I put it in the bag as-is, with no ice water, dry ice, etc. Just dry. Ended up with a lot more minuscule plant material than I expected to, but that's okay. They also included a 25 micron screed (no bag, just the screen), so I may just try to refine it a bit later. But for my next batch, I'll be doing it properly with dry ice.

Ended up with this:

You can easily make bubble hash without the bags. I used to make it back in the dark ages long before I’d heard of.... anything. It’s especially handy with small amounts - just toss it in a jar with some ice and shake or stir. :thumb:

Here’s a bare bones explanation from one of my journals.

You can easily make bubble hash without the bags. I used to make it back in the dark ages long before I’d heard of.... anything. It’s especially handy with small amounts - just toss it in a jar with some ice and shake or stir. :thumb:

Here’s a bare bones explanation from one of my journals.

great info cracker...i'm from southern ontario and has was more common back there. i moved to BC over 25 years ago and bud is the norm. but every now and then, when my devoted stoners hear about some hash floating through the hood, they can't wait to get their sticky little fingers on the stuff. i'll be trying out your method after harvest. thanks for sharing.

Yeah back in the 80s and 90s in BC hash was
a seasonal thing. It would be all hash for a short while- then run dry and we couldn’t find any. We usually got hash in winter and it usually came through the east coast, or so we thought anyway.
The imported sativa strains, which used to be 100% of the market, disappeared by the early 90s and it was all North American grown indica stuff. Made me feel crippled and paranoid. After a friend showed me the ice/jar method I started turning a lot more of the bud I bought into hash- cause somehow it agreed with me better.

Sample of my first attempt. All old school. Froze Bud's then immediately put in Herb/coffee grinder ground it up fine. Then sifted Keif/trichomes out with 120 micron screen. Then used hammer press to smash it into hash. "Hand pressed hash" used Zombie Haze 70% sativa 30% Indica. Lol Z Hash

Attachments

• 15689289870248260811172234351810.jpg
    15689289870248260811172234351810.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 319
So I harvested my first plants a couple of weeks ago - Purple Skunk Mass. They still have a couple weeks left in the cure jars. But honestly, I think I overdried them. They had a grass/hay smell that has dissipated a bit, but it's still somewhat noticeable.

At any rate, I decided to try to make a little hash. I just got a 73 micron bubble hash bag in today and wanted to try it out.

I took the little bit of wet trim I had in the freezer and laid it out on newspaper to dry a few days ago. I figured it's just for fun, so I put it in the bag as-is, with no ice water, dry ice, etc. Just dry. Ended up with a lot more minuscule plant material than I expected to, but that's okay. They also included a 25 micron screed (no bag, just the screen), so I may just try to refine it a bit later. But for my next batch, I'll be doing it properly with dry ice.

Ended up with this:

This is on my ToDo list when I harvest my Bakerstreet SOG ...

This is on my ToDo list when I harvest my Bakerstreet SOG ...
Usual causes of hay taste is drying to fast, to hot or exposed to light during first 72 hour's of dry time. When I dry I try to keep in total darkness first 72 hours at temperature between 65 and 75° F. Best at 65. After 72 hour's short periods of light is ok but try to keep temperature under 75 until dry. I cure only in Glass have several Amber 99% UV resistant quart and half gallon jars. UV light slowly destroys cannabinoids.

Usual causes of hay taste is drying to fast, to hot or exposed to light during first 72 hour's of dry time. When I dry I try to keep in total darkness first 72 hours at temperature between 65 and 75° F. Best at 65. After 72 hour's short periods of light is ok but try to keep temperature under 75 until dry. I cure only in Glass have several Amber 99% UV resistant quart and half gallon jars. UV light slowly destroys cannabinoids.

Thanks ... that explains a few things :)

I am definitely going to be more prepared in a few weeks during my next harvest!

Check "GrowWeedEasy's" tutorial for making hash using either dry ice or ice water. Screen bags in 73 120 and 220 are all needed. You'll get differing grades from each bag.

After harvesting the best crowns I let the plant recover for about 10 days. The secondary flowers explode into growth. Possibly because the plants think that they've been eaten off by cows. All that secondary growth goes into making hash and coconut oil extract.

I'm not 100% certain but I think if you're making hash or some sort of extract then careful slow drying and curing may not matter.

Cheers!

Check "GrowWeedEasy's" tutorial for making hash using either dry ice or ice water. Screen bags in 73 120 and 220 are all needed. You'll get differing grades from each bag.

After harvesting the best crowns I let the plant recover for about 10 days. The secondary flowers explode into growth. Possibly because the plants think that they've been eaten off by cows. All that secondary growth goes into making hash and coconut oil extract.

I'm not 100% certain but I think if you're making hash or some sort of extract then careful slow drying and curing may not matter.

Cheers!

Hate to hijack again, Lots of great info!!!! a second round of Harvest.... so i need all three for different grades... can i just get one or two? i am not trying to make for anyone but myself and my consumption. i want a good means to separate the trichomes, be able to weigh them and use them for edibles. i don't feel comfortable with the things I have read about just making butter or whatever with trim... how much is to much in an edible. That's why i want the keif/hash to make measurements to my yummies.

if i said something that didn't make sense is that I am a newb trying to navigate through all this

Back
Top Bottom