First Attempt Outdoor in Pots - Advice Welcome!

SmokingTulips

Hello,

This is my first attempt growing after many, many years of smoking.

Strain - Sensi Skunk
Medium - Potting mix/Store bought fertilizer/Perlite/Vermiculite (42.5%/42.5%/7.5%/7.5%)
Current Issues - Too windy, sometimes too wet, sometimes frost (hopefully all fixed with a small greenhouse)
Age - All plants approximately 2 weeks apart in age, I don't have the specifics

Unanswered questions:
The largest plant's leaves appear to be çlosing up (curling inward?). Not sure what is causing this or if it's just how the leaves naturally look and I'm being paranoid.

The middle sized plant's leaves appear to be drooping/sagging, I believe this is from over watering. Is anyone able to comment?

I need advice for transplanting to bigger pots. I'm probably looking more for stealth than huge plants.

Copy_of_DSC_2789.JPG
Copy_of_DSC_2790.JPG
Copy_of_DSC_2795.JPG
Copy_of_DSC_2791.JPG
Copy_of_DSC_2796.JPG
Copy_of_DSC_2792.JPG
Copy_of_DSC_2797.JPG
Copy_of_DSC_2794.JPG
Copy_of_DSC_2793.JPG

They look good to me,I don't think you have to worry,if you suspect over watering,give the soil time too dry out.Now for pots,bigger pots = taller plants,if height is of concern stay with a little smaller pot,Do Not,use black pots,they get very hot and will dry out your soil twice as fast,I bury my pots which provides cool for the roots,,after filling I leave about a half inch from top,which allows me to camo the potting soil with the natural dirt,you can't even tell they are there.I use pots that hold between 3 to 3.5 gallons,but the size will depend on how many plants you are growing per pot.I usually plant ten plants per pot,but I use regular seeds so I know I will gain room at flowering time because I will be removing the males,which provides the ladies a chance to spread out.Hope this helps, Happy Growing

They look good to me,I don't think you have to worry,if you suspect over watering,give the soil time too dry out.Now for pots,bigger pots = taller plants,if height is of concern stay with a little smaller pot,Do Not,use black pots,they get very hot and will dry out your soil twice as fast,I bury my pots which provides cool for the roots,,after filling I leave about a half inch from top,which allows me to camo the potting soil with the natural dirt,you can't even tell they are there.I use pots that hold between 3 to 3.5 gallons,but the size will depend on how many plants you are growing per pot.I usually plant ten plants per pot,but I use regular seeds so I know I will gain room at flowering time because I will be removing the males,which provides the ladies a chance to spread out.Hope this helps, Happy Growing

Thanks for the reply!

I'll leave the medium plant to dry a bit - if it shows no improvement I might attempt to transplant.

I have some two gallon pots which I'll transplant single plants in to, sounds like this will work out perfectly.

I have purchased this:
grow_house.JPG

I'll put up photos once it has been received and setup.

Your first plant is showing heat stress, the others are either overwatered or want to be transplanted.

I'm by no means an expert but 10 plants in a 3.5 gallon pot sounds ridiculous. Generally even on sea of green settings you get 2 plants per square foot. A 3.5 gallon container is about 12 to 16 inches across in diameter that gives you maybe a square foot. Definitely go 1 per pot. Many people recommend 5gal per plant. To keep them shorter you can top and train. This will give you the added benefit of more big buds. I also agree that the plant which has leaves that fold is due to heat stress and that drooping may be due to over watering.

Your first plant is showing heat stress, the others are either overwatered or want to be transplanted.

Thanks mate, I've transplanted and after a day of poor sun she already looks healthier. When my greenhouse arrives I will attempt to regulate temperature properly.

newbiegrwer said:
I'm by no means an expert but 10 plants in a 3.5 gallon pot sounds ridiculous. Generally even on sea of green settings you get 2 plants per square foot. A 3.5 gallon container is about 12 to 16 inches across in diameter that gives you maybe a square foot. Definitely go 1 per pot. Many people recommend 5gal per plant. To keep them shorter you can top and train. This will give you the added benefit of more big buds. I also agree that the plant which has leaves that fold is due to heat stress and that drooping may be due to over watering.

Only one plant per pot here. At the moment 7.5 liter (2 gallon) pots is largest I have available, I will look to purchase some larger white pots soon. I plan on topping and training.

Unfortunately I've had about three or four days straight of overcast weather with no direct sunlight, during some strong winds the whole greenhouse blew over and the plants were a little shaken. Regardless, everything seems to be recovering and looking good.

It does appear that my older plant may be flowering. Can someone please drop some knowledge on me?
asdfasdfasdf.JPG
asdfasdf.JPG
asdf7.JPG

Was this plant started inside?

Unfortunately I've had about three or four days straight of overcast weather with no direct sunlight, during some strong winds the whole greenhouse blew over and the plants were a little shaken. Regardless, everything seems to be recovering and looking good.

It does appear that my older plant may be flowering. Can someone please drop some knowledge on me?
asdfasdfasdf.JPG
asdfasdf.JPG
asdf7.JPG
Those little white hair are definitely the pistils of female pre flowers.

Was this plant started inside?

It was sprouted inside and has spent several days inside when it was younger to protect it from weather conditions. It has been an outdoor plant for well over 80% of its life.

newbiegrwer said:
Those little white hair are definitely the pistils of female pre flowers.

Shall I just continue to let it grow and see what happens?

As I don't have any indoor options (lighting ect.) than I assume this is my only option?

Is she springing pistils from the budsites? If not she might stop on showing sex and keep vegging.

Is she springing pistils from the budsites? If not she might stop on showing sex and keep vegging.

I don't really know the answer to your question so I added some photos for reference. Please let me know if this helps and thank you for the replies. I received the new 'smart pots' this morning so it has just been transplanted and is still recovering from the greenhouse blowing over so it doesn't look all that happy.

DSC_2822.JPG
DSC_2821.JPG

Its canoeing mate. Id ph my drink with only water and a teaspoon of Epsom salts. Then dont water again untill leaves start to droop. Then give anotjer ph water drink. This should see it back to normal.
That solution worked for my canoed leaves.

Sent from my SM-J110F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Looks like a pretty happy "lady" to me! I got a late start one my 1st grow "outdoors" but I have them in 16" pot each, (approx.3.5 to 4 gals.), and I bought small flat dollies so I can roll them in off the deck if it gets too hot or wet etc. ! I'll start a journal soon when I have some real progress to show ! Looks great, HAPPY FARMING!

Looks like a pretty happy "lady" to me! I got a late start one my 1st grow "outdoors" but I have them in 16" pot each, (approx.3.5 to 4 gals.), and I bought small flat dollies so I can roll them in off the deck if it gets too hot or wet etc. ! I'll start a journal soon when I have some real progress to show ! Looks great, HAPPY FARMING!

Thanks for dropping in mate, look forward to your journal :)

Multiple photos say a thousand words.... :tokin:

The two oldest plants seem to love the transplant in to the 15L (4gall) smart pots. No major updates to the environment as of yet.

DSC_2823.JPG

DSC_28292.JPG
DSC_2827.JPG

My photos seem to orientate incorrectly when uploading to 420mag, hopefully I've learnt my lesson and will take photos in wide format next time.

The pH test for the water used on the plants is in... I don't really know what to make of it other than it looks near perfect?

I should mention it looks between 6.5 and 7.0 in real life. The photos aren't exactly helpful.

pH test results:
DSC_28341.JPG
DSC_28321.JPG

Back
Top Bottom