First coco grow please a little advice thanks

Grower2020

Hi coco legends.
Really need some advice to ease my mind so I don't stuff it up , need to get the foundations optimal as I'm a bit ocd lol ok a lot ocd lol
Doing a canna coco professional plus grow And using canna coco nutrients
25Litre pots
Tap water with a ppm of around 350-400(closer to 350) do i need calmag?
Do I need to do anything to the coco before I plant or do i just plant straight into the canna coco plus and start watering with ph'd water? If so what ph is optimal.
Can i start feeding weak nutes after one week ? If so how many ml per litre.?
How often do i water .
And when I start feeding can i water with one plane ph'd water to run off once a day and then the second watering of the day can i just add nutes but barely to run off since I flushed the salts with plane water on the first watering of day ? Just thinking I'll save nutes if I water to run off then feed, water to run off then feed etc. Or will I be starving my plants of nutrients if I do that? If I check my run off ppm and it's higher than that of the ppm I'm putting in does that mean I can back my nutes off since there is still nutes in the coco just being flushed out and wasted ?
Hoping to get this cleared up. Thanks in advance

Soil guy here so I’m going to shout at @Bill284 typically coco needs to be precharged with cal-mag but read your coco bag labels to see how it was prepped.

coco is not the same as soil, coco is totally inert - there are zero nutes in coco to sustain a plant so it must be bottle fed. Coco is considered drain to waste hydro so hydro rules apply meaning adjust ph to 5.8 also you can’t run wet dry cycle in coco, the coco media needs to stay moist

There is a difference between water and feed….. Plain water, plain ph adjusted water or plain ph adjusted cal-mag water does nothing, zip, nada for your plants. It’s called feed or fertigate… with coco you fertilize + irrigate at same time.

Coco grown plants need to be fed 1/4 strength nutes every time. How to mix your feed soup… run the water, add cal-mag first stir & wait 10 mins, add your NPK stir & wait, check ph and adjust to 5.8 then feed your girls. Feed 1X per day in veg, feed 2X per day when plants are big, feed 3X per day in flower. Feed to runoff every time

this is kind of the coco basics in theory but Bill grows in coco every day…. and I don’t grow in coco at all….. so definitely take his word over mine!

Soil guy here so I’m going to shout at @Bill284 typically coco needs to be precharged with cal-mag but read your coco bag labels to see how it was prepped.

coco is not the same as soil, coco is totally inert - there are zero nutes in coco to sustain a plant so it must be bottle fed. Coco is considered drain to waste hydro so hydro rules apply meaning adjust ph to 5.8 also you can’t run wet dry cycle in coco, the coco media needs to stay moist

There is a difference between water and feed….. Plain water, plain ph adjusted water or plain ph adjusted cal-mag water does nothing, zip, nada for your plants. It’s called feed or fertigate… with coco you fertilize + irrigate at same time.

Coco grown plants need to be fed 1/4 strength nutes every time. How to mix your feed soup… run the water, add cal-mag first stir & wait 10 mins, add your NPK stir & wait, check ph and adjust to 5.8 then feed your girls. Feed 1X per day in veg, feed 2X per day when plants are big, feed 3X per day in flower. Feed to runoff every time

this is kind of the coco basics in theory but Bill grows in coco every day…. and I don’t grow in coco at all….. so definitely take his word over mine!
So as seedlings I just water the pots once per day with nutes? Or do I feed them once in the morning and then give plane water ph'd to keep them wet the rest of the day ?

think you can start on light feed every other day for first week but again I’m soil guy and know the basics on coco…. so I defer to Bill

Hey 284, got your ears on?? @Bill284.

Hang tight for now - as you know we are all scattered across the continent but barring a full body cast hanging in traction he should swing by soon. (said that to be funny - sure hope there is none of that involved for our buddy Bill!!!)

think you can start on light feed every other day for first week but I’m soil guy and know the basics on coco…. so I defer to Bill

Hey 284, got your ears on??

@Bill284
Thanks brother appreciate the tag to bill. Really don't want to stuff this up. I've outlaid a lot of dollars and really don't want to waste my time by not gettimg it right from the beginning.Appreciate the time and input always
G2020

think you can start on light feed every other day for first week but I’m soil guy and know the basics on coco…. so I defer to Bill

Hey 284, got your ears on??

@Bill284
Growimg autos too, so i need to be on point or they will just get stunted and not produce maximum yields.

Cool, my pleasure - don’t think Bill runs a lot of autos but he can point you to other resources here at 420 for that part. Start autos in final container with zero transplants.

Need to read Emilya’s water guide on this for sure it’s called How to water auto or small seedling in large container. This is linked in her signature but it’s imperative you remember 1) it was prolly written from soil perspective 2) coco is not soil and 3) you can’t do wet /dry cycle in coco

gotta run so I don’t have time to reread her article, we all love & support Emilya she’s one heck of a gardener and knows the real deal on all things garden related & cannabis. This is not a slam of her work just that your coco issues differ from soil. She can chime in and scold me later if I’ve gotten this wrong and I will say yes ma’am you are right!!!

So as seedlings I just water the pots once per day with nutes? Or do I feed them once in the morning and then give plane water ph'd to keep them wet the rest of the day ?
just a suggestion, don't use just water in coco, at least use half dose of cal/mag. if you must use straight water just enough to wet surface. i like 5.8ph seems to work best for me. water every 1-2 days(when plants big enough every day) and you want 15-20% run off water ( run off ensures less nuts build up in coco)

p.s. you need to read your coco bag to see if it comes pre-charged or not with cal/mag.

if you see green algae shite building up on top of coco your watering too much but also try and never let coco dry out either.

coco is actually pretty forgiving I'm sure you'll figure it out mate.
edited forgot , you need to add extra cal/mag in your waterings unless your coco friendly nuts are already doing it.

Hi coco legends.
Really need some advice to ease my mind so I don't stuff it up , need to get the foundations optimal as I'm a bit ocd lol ok a lot ocd lol
Doing a canna coco professional plus grow And using canna coco nutrients
25Litre pots
Tap water with a ppm of around 350-400(closer to 350) do i need calmag?
Do I need to do anything to the coco before I plant or do i just plant straight into the canna coco plus and start watering with ph'd water? If so what ph is optimal.
Can i start feeding weak nutes after one week ? If so how many ml per litre.?
How often do i water .
And when I start feeding can i water with one plane ph'd water to run off once a day and then the second watering of the day can i just add nutes but barely to run off since I flushed the salts with plane water on the first watering of day ? Just thinking I'll save nutes if I water to run off then feed, water to run off then feed etc. Or will I be starving my plants of nutrients if I do that? If I check my run off ppm and it's higher than that of the ppm I'm putting in does that mean I can back my nutes off since there is still nutes in the coco just being flushed out and wasted ?
Hoping to get this cleared up. Thanks in advance
Hello @Grower2020 hope your having a good day.
Hey @013 sorry I'm late. Thanks . Hope your well.
Canna coco pro plus is washed buffered and ready to go.
I add extra perilite, bokashi and Frass & Dazzle. Helps roots explode.
When you mix nutrients add calmag first every time.
Then your nutrients, then adjust your ppms.
Then last step ph to exactly 5.8 every time.
Then your going to need to feed every day. Every day until you get run off.
Don't give them plain water ever. Feed daily 2x a day in flower.
I wouldn't recommend testing your runoff.
You are going to end up chasing your tail right into the ditch.
But since you have already your runoff will be higher than you feed.
With in a 300 or so is fine.
If your getting a 1000 ppms more than you feed water you have a problem.
Over feeding or root uptake problems.
But those will be evident much sooner just by observing your girls.
I don't know age, or stage? Veg/Flower so any more specific feeding instructions will require more info.
Hope that helps.
Any other questions just let me know.
Bill

Hello @Grower2020 hope your having a good day.
Hey @013 sorry I'm late. Thanks . Hope your well.
Canna coco pro plus is washed buffered and ready to go.
I add extra perilite, bokashi and Frass & Dazzle. Helps roots explode.
When you mix nutrients add calmag first every time.
Then your nutrients, then adjust your ppms.
Then last step ph to exactly 5.8 every time.
Then your going to need to feed every day. Every day until you get run off.
Don't give them plain water ever. Feed daily 2x a day in flower.
I wouldn't recommend testing your runoff.
You are going to end up chasing your tail right into the ditch.
But since you have already your runoff will be higher than you feed.
With in a 300 or so is fine.
If your getting a 1000 ppms more than you feed water you have a problem.
Over feeding or root uptake problems.
But those will be evident much sooner just by observing your girls.
I don't know age, or stage? Veg/Flower so any more specific feeding instructions will require more info.
Hope that helps.
Any other questions just let me know.
Bill
Hey Bill thanks very much, much appreciated .
The plants are zero days old right now, I am about to purchase the coco and nutes today. Do u think the 5L batch of nutes will be needed for 9 plants in 25L pots?
Wondering what strength nutes to feed and also do i feed them right from the moment the germimated seed is placed into the coco ? Including calmag dose amount? And do i water until run off every time even when first sprouted? And do i just use ph'd water until they sprout and use aplicator spray bottle to keep seedling site wet until sprouted ? Sorry for all the questions but once I have these few answers I'll be fine and I'll keep,you updated every now and again with progress . Might have the odd question along the way. Thanks @Bill284 and @013 for the connection :) much appreciated
Oh one more thing , my tap water is about 350ppm how does that affect my nute mixing?

Hey Bill thanks very much, much appreciated .
The plants are zero days old right now, I am about to purchase the coco and nutes today. Do u think the 5L batch of nutes will be needed for 9 plants in 25L pots?
Wondering what strength nutes to feed and also do i feed them right from the moment the germimated seed is placed into the coco ? Including calmag dose amount? And do i water until run off every time even when first sprouted? And do i just use ph'd water until they sprout and use aplicator spray bottle to keep seedling site wet until sprouted ? Sorry for all the questions but once I have these few answers I'll be fine and I'll keep,you updated every now and again with progress . Might have the odd question along the way. Thanks @Bill284 and @013 for the connection :) much appreciated
Oh one more thing , my tap water is about 350ppm how does that affect my nute mixing?
I have hard water here aswell.
I still do the same procedure mix full then dilute to desired ppm.
Early veg 200 to 400 ppm is plenty.
Then raise as needs arise.
You will need to ph and feed once leaves appear.
Just a very mild solution until you have some root structure.
Spray bottle works great at first.
I'd get a bigger than 5 L container once they get growing.
But just for a Spray bottle 5 is fine.
You won't need to water till run off at first.
Just spray where you want the roots to go.
Did I miss anything?
Bill

I have hard water here aswell.
I still do the same procedure mix full then dilute to desired ppm.
Early veg 200 to 400 ppm is plenty.
Then raise as needs arise.
You will need to ph and feed once leaves appear.
Just a very mild solution until you have some root structure.
Spray bottle works great at first.
I'd get a bigger than 5 L container once they get growing.
But just for a Spray bottle 5 is fine.
You won't need to water till run off at first.
Just spray where you want the roots to go.
Did I miss anything?
Bill
Thanks Bill.
Sorry I meant the 5L bottle of canna coco nutrients rather than buy it in Litre bottles.
So The first week or so just spray with ph water until the leaves appear . And then once the leaves appear water once a day with a light ppm of 400 max . Won't be able to dilute and get ppm lower than 400 because the water out the tap is 350ppm.pot size will be 25L

This link will give you an idea how to water your babies.
I'd get the 5 liter bottle of nutrients to start.
With the hard water it will be off on the numbers .
So just mix it really weak once leaves appear.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom