First Ever Grow - Auto White Widow x Auto Candy Cane

Grow looking great - are you using LEDs? They don't seem to penetrate over deep down - have you thought about doing a SCROG grow next time? means you get way more buds from one plant :)

I am Or will be building Netting and thanks you. Listen in your opinion from expierence is it worth back building ?

Also you hear about removing top buds bit earlier so the lower ones get hit with extra light fir last few weeks or is that pointless in your travels. Lol

I am Or will be building Netting and thanks you. Listen in your opinion from expierence is it worth back building ?

Also you hear about removing top buds bit earlier so the lower ones get hit with extra light fir last few weeks or is that pointless in your travels. Lol

First point totally yes, i just did that on mine this weekend and some last weekend

from what i read it can lead to 10 - 15% higher yield - a guy did a journal on 420 about a test he did by back building one plant and not doing it to the other - the one he did it on was fatter

already i can see them starting to shoot out sideward

second well i guess it depends on a few factors - i wouldn't bother myself cos i need the space to dry in for one thing but also how tall are they? how deep does the light penetrate? if you SCROG grow then the planes are spread low and there's not much distance from the lowest bud to the highest

Grow looking great - are you using LEDs? They don't seem to penetrate over deep down - have you thought about doing a SCROG grow next time? means you get way more buds from one plant :)
Yeah I have 3 mars hydro 300w so getting about 300w worth all together. Yes I'm going to lst and scrog next time. I was very cautious with this being my first grow and waited till they were to bushy to do anything with. So now I'm just letting them do their thing. Yeah I'm getting no light penetration down low. I'm about to make me a new veg tent so I figured I would take my first big colas and let the lower parts stay in a week longer. Idk yet it's still all a learning curve and what works best for me

First point totally yes, i just did that on mine this weekend and some last weekend

from what i read it can lead to 10 - 15% higher yield - a guy did a journal on 420 about a test he did by back building one plant and not doing it to the other - the one he did it on was fatter

already i can see them starting to shoot out sideward

second well i guess it depends on a few factors - i wouldn't bother myself cos i need the space to dry in for one thing but also how tall are they? how deep does the light penetrate? if you SCROG grow then the planes are spread low and there's not much distance from the lowest bud to the highest

Okay fair answers thank you first of all for your time bud.

How would one go about knowing how well the light would penetrate

I woke up early on my weekend and my lights don't come on for another hour so I got all caught up in your journal. For your first time you've done a solid job! I apologize as I don't read a lot of things people said inbetween the updates so I may repeat things people have said but I've got a couple pointers for your next grow.

1. I'd go with 10% or less on the perlite. As you saw the discussion in my thread, it doesn't really do anything in coco so take it out or put very little in. You were fortunate that you ended up with 5 gallon pots because these would be way too dry all the time in 3 gallon with 50/50. Likely you'd have to feed 2-3 times a day but i'd go with 3 gallon pots and no perlite next time.

2. There is a lot of misinformation out there. You can top autos and transplant them without any issues if you do it in the right time period. I personally like full control and use feminized photo seeds but I don't treat autos too much differently than photos in the early seedling and veg stages.

3. Next time you transplant dig a hole big enough for the rootball to sit in and make sure the first set of leaves is a little above the top of the pot. Then fill the pot almost to the top with coco. This way all the leaves are above the pot and not in the way and the plant gets extra support from the added coco. Most of the stem will be buried now but it's good additional support for the plant later on.

4. I think you already know to do some training next time early on. The one plant is way too tall and close to the light. I really like even canopies and each plant is different so it makes it tough. Hell, even each strain can have different phenotypes so you never can do each plant quite the same. That comes with experience though and some of that you just have to learn by trying it out yourself, but you can be really mean in veg with the bondage. I think people underestimate the importance of training and defoliation in veg.

5. The tent seems like it needs a little more light in it for the plants your are growing. Light is so important and you can really limit what the plants can do without some good light. In the end the yield will make up for the amount of money you spent on the light so I'd really look into that. I think I remember seeing you already were.

6. Lastly it's hard to be on any sort of a nute schedule with Auto's. I always say they are easy to grow but they are very hard to maximize and I feel like you really have to know what the plant wants by looking at it. Auto's move so fast you can't really use a normal schedule. I do like that you aren't blasting them with nutes. I'm not sure your watering schedule but I do water coco everyday. Early on I sometimes skip a water to let them dry out.

Here is my rant about watering. I don't like the idea of having constantly wet airpots for my coco. That is an open invitation for bugs, molds and root rot. I think that roots do like searching for water but coco should never be totally dry. It's this happy damp medium. When you feed they are wet and by the next day the plants should be dry and asking for water. I lift my pots to tell. If for some reason a plant still is heavy the next day then usually it's transitioning to another phase and not drinking a ton, there is something wrong or my environment has changed (hot days they drink a little more, etc). Unless it is very early on (and even then it is tough), it is really hard to overwater in coco. I water everyday until I just see a little drip come out and then every few days I give them a big watering (20-25% runoff). Most of the time in flower I'm watering twice a day. You can just water every few days but then you might as well be growing in soil. The whole point of coco is to boost the plant daily but you can use it however you like which makes it interesting.

I assume you are checking PH and PPM with your feeds? Do you use the feeding schedule off the bottles or do you have your own?

In conclusion, you are doing a pretty darn good job on your first grow and a lot of the things I suggested really are things you probably already know and can't really be adjusted until you do your next grow. I always get excited to see someone's 2nd grow (especially with coco) because there is a huge learning curve the first time you use it. I'm anxious to see how this finishes. I'm not great about staying completely up to date on journals but I'll check in from time to time! If you need anything urgent you know where to find me... lol. Keep up the good work!

P.S. I would find some other journals that grew these strains in coco and find out their harvest days (get an average). Then I would start flushing 5-7 days before that with yours. My smallest auto which is the fastest plant I've grown should be ready to harvest around 75 days. The medium one will be ready around 85-90 and the other is huge and I have no idea but it should be about 100-105 days. I don't run the same strains obviously but I think most autos finish in the 85-100 day range.

I woke up early on my weekend and my lights don't come on for another hour so I got all caught up in your journal. For your first time you've done a solid job! I apologize as I don't read a lot of things people said inbetween the updates so I may repeat things people have said but I've got a couple pointers for your next grow.

1. I'd go with 10% or less on the perlite. As you saw the discussion in my thread, it doesn't really do anything in coco so take it out or put very little in. You were fortunate that you ended up with 5 gallon pots because these would be way too dry all the time in 3 gallon with 50/50. Likely you'd have to feed 2-3 times a day but i'd go with 3 gallon pots and no perlite next time.

2. There is a lot of misinformation out there. You can top autos and transplant them without any issues if you do it in the right time period. I personally like full control and use feminized photo seeds but I don't treat autos too much differently than photos in the early seedling and veg stages.

3. Next time you transplant dig a hole big enough for the rootball to sit in and make sure the first set of leaves is a little above the top of the pot. Then fill the pot almost to the top with coco. This way all the leaves are above the pot and not in the way and the plant gets extra support from the added coco. Most of the stem will be buried now but it's good additional support for the plant later on.

4. I think you already know to do some training next time early on. The one plant is way too tall and close to the light. I really like even canopies and each plant is different so it makes it tough. Hell, even each strain can have different phenotypes so you never can do each plant quite the same. That comes with experience though and some of that you just have to learn by trying it out yourself, but you can be really mean in veg with the bondage. I think people underestimate the importance of training and defoliation in veg.

5. The tent seems like it needs a little more light in it for the plants your are growing. Light is so important and you can really limit what the plants can do without some good light. In the end the yield will make up for the amount of money you spent on the light so I'd really look into that. I think I remember seeing you already were.

6. Lastly it's hard to be on any sort of a nute schedule with Auto's. I always say they are easy to grow but they are very hard to maximize and I feel like you really have to know what the plant wants by looking at it. Auto's move so fast you can't really use a normal schedule. I do like that you aren't blasting them with nutes. I'm not sure your watering schedule but I do water coco everyday. Early on I sometimes skip a water to let them dry out.

Here is my rant about watering. I don't like the idea of having constantly wet airpots for my coco. That is an open invitation for bugs, molds and root rot. I think that roots do like searching for water but coco should never be totally dry. It's this happy damp medium. When you feed they are wet and by the next day the plants should be dry and asking for water. I lift my pots to tell. If for some reason a plant still is heavy the next day then usually it's transitioning to another phase and not drinking a ton, there is something wrong or my environment has changed (hot days they drink a little more, etc). Unless it is very early on (and even then it is tough), it is really hard to overwater in coco. I water everyday until I just see a little drip come out and then every few days I give them a big watering (20-25% runoff). Most of the time in flower I'm watering twice a day. You can just water every few days but then you might as well be growing in soil. The whole point of coco is to boost the plant daily but you can use it however you like which makes it interesting.

I assume you are checking PH and PPM with your feeds? Do you use the feeding schedule off the bottles or do you have your own?

In conclusion, you are doing a pretty darn good job on your first grow and a lot of the things I suggested really are things you probably already know and can't really be adjusted until you do your next grow. I always get excited to see someone's 2nd grow (especially with coco) because there is a huge learning curve the first time you use it. I'm anxious to see how this finishes. I'm not great about staying completely up to date on journals but I'll check in from time to time! If you need anything urgent you know where to find me... lol. Keep up the good work!

P.S. I would find some other journals that grew these strains in coco and find out their harvest days (get an average). Then I would start flushing 5-7 days before that with yours. My smallest auto which is the fastest plant I've grown should be ready to harvest around 75 days. The medium one will be ready around 85-90 and the other is huge and I have no idea but it should be about 100-105 days. I don't run the same strains obviously but I think most autos finish in the 85-100 day range.
Hell yeah man that's alot of help. Yeah I've made a bunch of mistakes, that's why I went with Easy autos for my first time. I need a new high powered light bc I have alot of bud sites at the bottom hardly getting light. I've been looking but haven't pulled the trigger yet on what kind. I'll probably just do 4 plants at a time. Probably gonna build a small veg tent. I didn't get enough coco in my pots so it's made it hard to water but they still are alright. I'm watering with quarter and half strength fox farm trio nutes every day and sometimes I skip a day to let them dry. I appreciate you checking out my journal. I can't wait for my second grow, probably gonna do photo plants. Got some Bubba fresh seeds. Yeah I missed my window on lst i was just scared it being my first time and now they are out of control. Idk rather to defol autos or not, everybody has a different opinion. But mine got way too bushy. I'm wondering if here soon when I check my tricomes if I should take my big colas and leave my bottom to get some light?

Hell yeah man that's alot of help. Yeah I've made a bunch of mistakes, that's why I went with Easy autos for my first time. I need a new high powered light bc I have alot of bud sites at the bottom hardly getting light. I've been looking but haven't pulled the trigger yet on what kind. I'll probably just do 4 plants at a time. Probably gonna build a small veg tent. I didn't get enough coco in my pots so it's made it hard to water but they still are alright. I'm watering with quarter and half strength fox farm trio nutes every day and sometimes I skip a day to let them dry. I appreciate you checking out my journal. I can't wait for my second grow, probably gonna do photo plants. Got some Bubba fresh seeds. Yeah I missed my window on lst i was just scared it being my first time and now they are out of control. Idk rather to defol autos or not, everybody has a different opinion. But mine got way too bushy. I'm wondering if here soon when I check my tricomes if I should take my big colas and leave my bottom to get some light?

I don't do much defoliating with autos. Here and there I may pull some leaves, it's still a plant and can handle some defoliation. I just would never do too much all at once on the same plant. You can take the big colas and the let the lower stuff go another week or so. I have never tried that but it makes logical sense. Since you are reading the plant and what it is telling you, if the lower stuff is more clear instead of cloudy/amber then that means the plant needs to finish more there.

I don't do much defoliating with autos. Here and there I may pull some leaves, it's still a plant and can handle some defoliation. I just would never do too much all at once on the same plant. You can take the big colas and the let the lower stuff go another week or so. I have never tried that but it makes logical sense. Since you are reading the plant and what it is telling you, if the lower stuff is more clear instead of cloudy/amber then that means the plant needs to finish more there.
Yeah I don't have to be in a hurry so I will probably do that bc the lower canopy is still developing and the top looks about done

Alright guys I'm on day 81 and starting to see the finish line lol. My dehumidifier has made a world of difference and I don't feel like any bud rot is gonna happen. I ordered a loupe on Amazon but it was a piece of shit I couldn't hardly see nothing. But what I did see was a little bit of Cloudy tricomes and not alot of amber yet. Maybe I don't have the eyes for it but I couldn't really tell. The bigger colas a to be about ready. I'm kind of stressing bc this is where it all matters now and i don't know what im doing haha. Any tips would be great
Ww #1
420-magazine-mobile1227512832.jpg
420-magazine-mobile512355836.jpg

Ww#2
420-magazine-mobile437099346.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1282159108.jpg

Cc#1
420-magazine-mobile603042651.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1539588516.jpg

Cc#2
420-magazine-mobile578196369.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1538462448.jpg

I had to really put the loupe almost on the bud (almost touching) to see anything. It took me a while to figure out the range to where I could really see the trichs. I got a cheapo one off Amazon as well. Sucks if it doesn't work at all though because that is really the best way to tell when it is ready.

I'm pretty trich dependent on when I pull my plants but if I had to guess I'd say you still have a bit before I'd pull those bigger buds. Unless the loupe says otherwise. Still a lot of fresh white looking hairs everywhere. The worst thing to do is pull them early. In the last couple weeks the buds really get denser and so I error on the side of later rather than earlier to make sure they've stopped swelling and are done.

I had to really put the loupe almost on the bud (almost touching) to see anything. It took me a while to figure out the range to where I could really see the trichs. I got a cheapo one off Amazon as well. Sucks if it doesn't work at all though because that is really the best way to tell when it is ready.

I'm pretty trich dependent on when I pull my plants but if I had to guess I'd say you still have a bit before I'd pull those bigger buds. Unless the loupe says otherwise. Still a lot of fresh white looking hairs everywhere. The worst thing to do is pull them early. In the last couple weeks the buds really get denser and so I error on the side of later rather than earlier to make sure they've stopped swelling and are done.
Hell yeah the loupe I bought was one of those cheap telescope like kind so I got one with a bigger eye hole to see. I think you're right bc I didn't hardly see any amber. It's getting close tho bc i seen quite a bit of cloudy. One bud was about broke so i snipped it off so at least i get to sample a little haha

Yes it's hard to auto focus with a loupe .

Back
Top Bottom