First Ever Grow: Bakerstreet, A Hindu Kush, 400W HID

hjayu94

Hi everyone! Long time smoker here, first time grower. Planted 1 seed, Feb. 21st, 2019. Currently day 16 of grow.

Specs:

-Seed from Ontario Cannabis Store

-Seed = Bakerstreet, by Tweed. This is a Hindu Kush, 100% Indica with High THC 17-27%

-3' x 3' x 6' grow tent

-1 CFL light currently to start. Switching to 400w MH soon. It is "Cool Tube" design

-3 part liquid nutrient system from Green Planet (haven't started yet)

-Seed started in Jiffy Peat Pellet, then moved to Solo cup with Jiffy Seed Starting Mix after 4 days

-Have small oscillating fan running 24/7, not directly at seedling

-Run inline fan numerous times a day for a few mins. Will start running continual when switch lights

-Aim for watering every 36 to 60 hours. I ran into the typical amateur mistake of over watering at first. This slowed down growth, and leaves started to claw a bit.. Believe this is corrected now, though seedling looks a bit "lanky"

Here she is on day 16. Plan to transplant to a fabric 3 gallon pot with Alltreat Naturals, Organic Potting Soil while switching the the MH light. Have a bag of perlite as well. Just waiting for soil mix to dry.

I will certainly bury the stem a little when transplanting, should help. The fan is running because I felt the need for air movement inside the tent. Is this overkill?

To explain my watering.. I first started giving very small amounts of water, then watering again when the soil mix felt dry. I was doing this twice or more a day and the leaves started to claw. Did some more research and realized I was overwatering for sure! So when I say "aim for watering every 36-60 hours" what I really mean is... I water when top inch or so is dry, and try to give enough water, that the top inch will dry out again in that time period. If that makes sense

I felt the need for air movement inside the tent
Some use it for temps, others for air movement to "strengthen plants"...it's up to you. I don't use one because it messes with my RH.
I water when top inch or so is dry, and try to give enough water,
This is where having a small cup is challenging. I use quart deli containers to start seedlings and them bump them into a larger pot. The quart of soil allows me to give them a good watering...say 8-10oz. until runoff. That is enough to saturate the soil and provide for the roots over 3 days. But you also want roots growing out looking for water, so there needs to be dry/wet cycling...hence watering well and leaving them for 3-4 days. When they are smaller and just transplanted into larger pots (I use 7g) I sometimes leave them for 5-6 days...if I pick up the pot and it feels like it still has water, I leave it. If it is light, I soak it and repeat the cycle. Cannabis is much more forgiving when parched than soaked :)

Since turning on the MH bulb and the cool tube exhaust, I am having trouble with humidity!

I live in a very dry area right now (crazy humid in summer though) and even with a humidifier on low, the humidity won't stay at 30% even:oops::rolleyes:. Also have the inline fan running as slow as possible. If the humidifier gets turned on high, it won't make it day befote being empty!

JOURNAL POST #2 - Up-potting

March 9 2019, day 17 of grow.

-From seed starting mix, to organic potting soil

-5:1 ratio of perlite added to soil

Decided with the help of others, it was time to up-pot! I also started running the MH at 250W setting, and will switch to full 400 this evening. The transplant did NOT go as expected. I waited until the soil mix was dry before transplant. It was very difficult to get my seedling out of the solo cup! When it finally did come out, I didn't see any roots growing on the outside edges which surprised me. Wanted to take a pic of the soil (root ball?) but it was falling apart much too quickly. I think I'll try transplanting with the soil moisted next time.

Needless to say, the plant looks healthy and growing after 12 hours from transfer.. Hope she's doing well!

Very quick update.

Watered March 9 after transplant, and likely over watered again. Leaves were drooping fairly bad. Left for 4 days and she was very dry by then.. Gave her almost a liter to drink. Seems to be doing okay. I feel I've leart A LOT about watering from this first grow, and second attempt should hopefully go better in that regard.

JOURNAL POST #3 - Nutrients

March 16th - Day 24 of grow

-Started a Micro, Grow, Bloom, 3-part nutrient system today. I started with 1/4 the suggested use for the mild veg stage. I poured 3 seperate liters of water, then mixed each solution in said seperate container. Was next to nothing, but am just learning and want to start small! I used 600mL from each container to water my plant on March 16th @ 11am. 1.8L of water total.

-RH remains low. Not extremely low, but not what you want for vegging. Does anyone know... What will happen due to this lower RH? Will it simply slow growth? Hurt the quality of final product?

Thanks for reading :bong:

Screenshot_20190316-225245.png
Screenshot_20190316-225319.png
Screenshot_20190316-225730.png

JOURNAL POST #4 - Dead leaf / Run off

March 21 2019, day 29 of grow.

So I ended up with the 2 original leaves dying. You can see them starting to fade in last set of pictures. Not too worried about this, and will keep growing away, all the while learning from my mistakes! I am going to water much less frequently, letting the moisture line get right down near bottom inch of pot before giving her a drink. Plus I feel the quantity of water was too great. My plant looks puffy and heavy.. Needs to breathe better quite sure.

Now for run off.. I am confused! I never once had run off in my solo cup, with plenty of holes in the bottom. Now in 3 gallon, which is a small pot isn't it? Never had run off yet either. This whole time Ive been overwatering Im quite sure... So how the heck do you get run off with out overwatering??? Cant really go smaller than a solo cup.

Anyways, here she is this morning. Thanks for reading!

Screenshot_20190321-070751.png
Screenshot_20190321-070816.png
Screenshot_20190321-070838.png

I feel like if I watered enough to have run off, the soil wouldn't dry for weeks.. Which means perhaps the pot is too large?

Yes, I was definitely over-watering (to frequently) at the start. Feel I've fixed this, but then feel I gave too large a quantity of water. But yes, I dont think it looks too bad either, thanks! Always be learning :)

Quick update.. Haven't watered in 8 days! It's just now getting to point where only the bottom inch of soil has moisture. I will have to reduce the quantity of water I give. Going to let soil dry out for another day or so, due to a good line I read from @Emilya. Don't quote me, but along the lines of... When you're about to do something for your weed, slow down and wait, going at it's pace rather than ours!

Screenshot_20190324-115215.png
Screenshot_20190324-115400.png
Screenshot_20190324-115259.png

I am going to continue updating this post as I grow, then copy and paste it for my final post.

Lessons Learned
Seedling:
- Unlike germination, you now need a wet/dry cycle. Very important.
- I need to give slightly larger quantity of water, but water much less often. Monitor water given and the moisture line in your pot!!
- Air movement is now important. I suggest placing something (ex. the sides of a water bottle) around the seedling. She is fragile and doesn't want much wind at all yet.
- I feel I transplanted a little too early. Going to wait until more roots have likely devolped next time.
- Also, I transplanted very dry and it fell apart quite bad.. Perhaps moist is better? Or perhaps just needed more roots.

Veg Stage:
- Soil needs wet/dry cycle! None of this "wait for top inch to dry" stuff.. More like, wait for only the bottom inch to have moisture.
- Do not increase the quantity of water drastically just because it's in a larger pot. SLOWLY increase water quantity as it begins drying out too fast.
- Good methods for checking water levels are simply picking up your pot, and a cheap moisture meter. Even without the reading, you can tell when the prongs hit moisture. Soil gets much "tougher".
- This is a slow process. Your weed mostly needs to be left alone to do it's thing!

Back
Top Bottom