First ever grow - lamp problem! help!

LoveTheMaryJane

I'm one week into the seedling stage - germination was fine, and all else was ok. I have 6 small pots on the go, in a tent with a 250w HPS bulb, fans, the lot.
Problem is, - the bulb is brand new - 7 days into its' life, and it's started to cut out - virtually turn off. And then it comes on again. A period of 2 or 3 mins on and off.. Clearly, not good.
Is the bulb faulty? I have no experience of this type of bulb.. so I need the advice of someone who has..
I'm going to replace it now, with my 600 W HPS... and raise the lamp!
I intend to post a journal on this - I'm growing Barneys Honey B in soil....

It looks to me like the bulb is either shagged, or overheating. Temp in the grow room is steady at 75 F.

Thanks in advance!

The Fish

Good question... And the answer is - No. The ballast was bought for the 600 W bulb...
I figured that would work with the 250 W. Am I wrong here?

Tks!

some digi ballasts have dials for different wattage lights. if yours does not have a dial with the wattage of your bulb, then no you cannot mix and match bulbs with different wattage.

Snowbender.. I'll take your word for that. Thanks. I assumed that you could easily use a 600 w ballast with a lesser rated bulb.

Is there anywhere I can read up on the technical aspects of these "ballasts"?

As far as I know, they generate a high voltage/current to spark up the bulb.. and then they run at normal ratings - ie they follow Ohms Law.

Tks!

Forgot to mention - it's a straightforward basic ballast - no dials, nothing to tamper with...

A ballast is essentually a current limiter. When a ballast is designed for a 600w bulb, the current value is for that rating of bulb. Using a ballast that is rated for a higher wattage will overcurrent the lesser bulb, sometimes resulting in an explosion. Explosion not good. :)

Is there anywhere I can read up on the technical aspects of these "ballasts"?

Google is great!

As far as I know, they generate a high voltage/current to spark up the bulb..

This is true in Metal Halide lamps. HPS lamps require an "ignitor" to establish an arc.

Marvelous... !! You are all just the best!

Just a thought.. would my ornery journal be of interest to the good foax round here?
I just have a basic set-up, growing 6 seeds, Barneys Honey B...

What you think?

The Fish

Back
Top Bottom