First Grow: 2 Northern Lights, 2019

skipeye

Hi there,

Long time listener, first time caller (grower). ;)

I started germification on these girls on Sept. 24th. I used the paper towel method. You can tell one of the plants is significantly larger than the other; I think she wasn't completely ready to be planted, but nonetheless, glad she's growing.

I had an issue last week with overwatering. I also had an issue with pH. I was giving them water (too much of it) and it was balanced to around 7.6. If I were to give any advice at this point, go buy an electric pH reader from amazon. It was $20 and was WAY more accurate than the drop testing kits. You'll notice some yellow and small spots; I'm assuming that's what it's from.

GROW INFO

Northern Lights, seeds from royal queen, feminized. Hybrid, but indica dominant. It's now been in veg for 2 weeks. I grabbed a bag of local organic potting soil that was pretty cheap, but it seems to be working pretty well. I also added perlite. I think next time I'll try to go with a better medium. I'm using 3 gallon fabric pots. I immediately put the seeds in the fabric pots after germ; I've been told now that putting them in a smaller container and then moving them usually yields better results.

This is a tent grow (2 x 2 x 4), with an LED light (400, 450 adding bloom). I have two small fans: one on the top that blows just above the plants, and one on the bottom that blows air out of the tent. No carbon filter; I'm going to see how stinky the house gets first. :)

Temps stay 70-75 typically. Humidity is around 50-60. I have put one of the fans on the same timer as the lights, so not to cool the tent down too much without a heat source. I also have a humidifier that blows out hot steam. I've used it once and it seemed to do well, but I think they're getting to the age where they might not need it anymore. Thoughts?

I'm only watering every other day (around 1/2 to 1 cup) at this point since they're smaller. I will likely start adjusting this soon.

I'm having a lot of fun doing this so far. I checked on them and took these photos maybe an hour ago, and I could start smelling them! It's beautiful!

Open to any sort of recommendations, comments on photos, encannabisment (kind of like encouragement) , etc. Glad to be a part of the growing community now!

Attachments

• IMG_1057.JPG
    IMG_1057.JPG
    734.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    826 KB · Views: 125
I'm having a lot of fun doing this so far. I checked on them and took these photos maybe an hour ago, and I could start smelling them! It's beautiful!
Congrats @skipeye looks like you've got a great start! I agree it's SUCH a blast growing weed! I'm on round 5 I think and I'm having as fun if not more than the first time around.

My first real light was a Viparspectra with the red/blue/white adjusts, I started all blue and eventually just cranked them all. All the sun juice I can get I give to them now.

I'd suggest you do alot of research on watering techniques as that is by far the number one problem new growers have around here. It's been my experience that its way better to error on the side of dry rather than wet. Check out The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant awesome info here!

Cheers mate, luck to your grow! :yahoo:

Congrats @skipeye looks like you've got a great start! I agree it's SUCH a blast growing weed! I'm on round 5 I think and I'm having as fun if not more than the first time around.

My first real light was a Viparspectra with the red/blue/white adjusts, I started all blue and eventually just cranked them all. All the sun juice I can get I give to them now.

I'd suggest you do alot of research on watering techniques as that is by far the number one problem new growers have around here. It's been my experience that its way better to error on the side of dry rather than wet. Check out The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant awesome info here!

Cheers mate, luck to your grow! :yahoo:
Thank you! If you’re not having fun, don’t do it, right? It’s been 3 weeks and I’m already hooked. I also did a lot of research for YEARS leading up to this point.
Thanks so much for the luck and the resources!!

Today starts week 3 of my grow. Since the plants are taking off, I'm going to be sure to be checking their water a little more intensely. I will also start feeding them some nutrients this week at about a third to half strength.

My one plant looks pretty healthy! Still bouncing back from a bit of a pH issue. My other one looks very sad. I'm trying to give her bare essentials (pH water and plenty of light) in hopes of her bouncing back. Until I see some progress on her, I do not think she will be getting any nutrients.

As always, friends - suggestions, comments, and love are all welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    820 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1129.JPG
    IMG_1129.JPG
    885.2 KB · Views: 121
I’m in for the grow show!

One has made crazy good progress! The other is still a little sick and I have her listening to Fleetwood Mac and gets soil container massages.

Another update: Started feeding them nuts. They're growing well! I plan to do a SCROG and I'm wondering how far out until I should put the screen in. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1156.JPG
    IMG_1156.JPG
    550.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1157.JPG
    IMG_1157.JPG
    676.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1158.JPG
    IMG_1158.JPG
    657.6 KB · Views: 103
A typical scrog screen is at 10" above the soil and then you force them to grow horizontally after that. Maybe you are thinking more along the lines of a trellis type screen, designed to help hold them up vertically?
I only have one trellis netting, but I wanted it for both. I think I'm too early. :)

And grow away, they have. This is day 30, and they are looking gorgeous. Here's what's working for me:

- Nuit day, off day, water day, off day, repeat. I have watered when they look really dry, but it's never more than a cup or so.
- My LED came with pulleys, and they will STRETCH if you adjust the light. Even if it's just a notch or so every week. I'm convinced they're following the light up.

They both are a few inches short of a foot. I think I'm going to put my SCROG net up by the end of next week. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1201.JPG
    IMG_1201.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1200.JPG
    IMG_1200.JPG
    649.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1199.JPG
    IMG_1199.JPG
    643.4 KB · Views: 109
:nomo: I grew a NL from Royal Queen and it was a nice plant depsite I had no idea when I grew it what I was doing.

Hi all: This is day 35 since planting from germ. SCROG is up and I'm starting to bend the main branches. Right before putting the net up, I did some defoliation and I also topped the one on the left. They took a few days to bounce back, but I'm finally seeing some more growth pop up towards the light through the tent. Today, they feasted on a little bit of molasses with their watering. Apologies for the dark photo.

Attachments

• IMG_1232.JPG
    IMG_1232.JPG
    982.8 KB · Views: 106
Help!

some sad news about one of my plants - I think I over-defoliated it. :( she hasn’t grown much in a week. I’m continuing with my normal water/nuits/environment setting in hope of it bouncing back. Any other ideas?

Hi all:

Still not a ton of growth on the girls and we're almost a week and a half into the scrog up. The plans look healthy and I've been careful not to overwater/over-nutrient them. I moved the light up a little more and added a humidifier since my rH was around 39%. Any other recommendations?

Attachments

• IMG_1261.JPG
    IMG_1261.JPG
    557.2 KB · Views: 110
Back
Top Bottom