First Grow - 4 Weeks Into Flowering & Running Into a Few Problems

mrpowell

First proper time growing, all grown from unknown seeds found in a 50 bag or two, I think it's some sort of Indica dominant hybrid - anyone able to tell? The two larger ones are quite old and were switched to 12/12 4 weeks ago today, so they are entering their 5th week, where I will give them Canna PK 13/14 for 1 week. I keep feeling like the flowers/buds aren't nearly as big as they should be at this stage as they haven't changed much lately - any thoughts on that? (Photos below)

The smaller plants are 5-6 weeks old and were switched to 12/12 1 week ago.

Unfortunately recently some of the leaves have been drying out and deteriorating on both young and old plants. Could be related to bugs but I have been using a bug spray on the leaves which is also supposed to help the rust etc. Also some of the new leaves are going a lighter green, almost yellowy at the edges which is strange.

Also the younger plants' leaves toward the top are all mutated and look sortof dried out. Any idea why this is happening? Am I not watering them enough or what? Generally water them every 2 days.

One more thing, I'm not too sure about the sexing of these plants I've just put onto flower, I can't see any "ballsacks" so have included some photos below as well. I'm nervous they might be male and pollinate the bigger plants.

Any feedback and help would be much appreciated, thanks guys.

20140929_173637.jpg

20140929_173658.jpg

20140929_173720.jpg

20140929_173734.jpg

20140929_173751.jpg

20140929_173926.jpg

20140929_173820.jpg

IMG-20140929-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20140929-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20140929-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20140929-WA00001.jpg

IMG-20140929-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20140929-WA0004.jpg

btw anyone know how to rotate the photos?

re: First Grow - 4 Weeks Into Flowering & Running Into a Few Problems

Subscribed. What are you using as your light source? What are your grow area temperature and humidity? What is your growing medium? What are you adjusting the pH of your nutrient solution to?

Your leaf damage appears to be from contact burns and nutrient burns. Yellowing and browning leaf tips are a sign of nutrient burn and too high of nutrient solution and the nutrient strength should be reduced.

You need to use a photograph editor to rotate your photographs before you upload them. There is a section in this guide that may help you.

Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

You want pH 5.8 for hydroponic and soiless (peat moss and coco coir) and pH 6.5 for soil.

Here is a nutrient availability chart

pH_chart7.jpg

Here is a cannabis leaf deficiency chart

cannabis_leaf-deficiencies31.jpg

here is the Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver and the Plant Abuse Chart

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver: Pictorial

Plant Abuse Chart

Thanks for that info, much appreciated. I am using a 125w 6400k fluro CFL light, and I haven't tested the humidity or pH yet but have ordered a pH tester which should be arriving soon. The temp is reasonably cool, I can hold my hand right under the light and it's hardly even warmer. The growing medium is soil, Yates Thrive potting mix. I haven't been adjusting the pH of the nutrients, what do you mean by that? Using Yates Thrive nutrients as well for the non flowering plants.

I haven't yet set up a proper exhaust fan, but there is a hole in the ceiling where air can escape which is where I plan on putting the fan. Do you think that could be causing any of the issues?

Plants require a minimum of 5x per hour air exchange in order to grow properly, you may require higher airflow to remove any heat from growing equipment. You should also have a fan in your grow area to circulate the air through your plants. To adjust the nutrient mixture you would take your source of water and add your nutrients into the water to dissolve evenly and then either use pH up or pH down solutions to adjust the nutrients mixtures pH level to optimum growth ranges.

I already have 2 fans in there, one of them blowing over the leaves for circulation, just don't have the exhaust fan yet. Ok I will get some pH up/down, also am I able to test the pH of water with a soil tester? I got this one:
th7.jpg

Also I believe the light I have is a vegging light, despite the fact the lady in the shop said it was for flowering. Could you recommend a decent flowering bulb that's not too expensive (I'm in New Zealand) which could produce some decent quality buds?

You can never really tell from a photo, the white balance could be off or anything but I'd say a general rule of thumb is that if it puts out a crisp, white light then it's a vegging lamp, if it's a yellow, mellow light then it's for flowering.

tmp_8298-temperature-chart606785487.jpg

Initially you'll aim for the high end of the spectrum for veg.

For flowering you'll go to the opposite end.

Avoiding halogen and incandescent as you go.

when ordering online, the colour temperature is often displayed in the product description. It is also normally on the box.

Also found this on my travels; distances from plants...

tmp_8298-Light-proximity-247530096.jpg

I already have 2 fans in there, one of them blowing over the leaves for circulation, just don't have the exhaust fan yet. Ok I will get some pH up/down, also am I able to test the pH of water with a soil tester? I got this one:
th7.jpg

No the soil pH meter will not accurately measure liquid pH.

I own this liquid pH meter

HM Digital pH Meter - Perfect Gardens

Thanks for the info. I am pleased to let you guys know that they seem to be back on track and the younger plants are producing healthy 7 fingered leaves :)
I think out of the 4 that I recently put on 12/12 I have found one definite male and one definite female, but just want to be sure before I dispose of the male, can you tell from these photos?
20141014_175838.jpg
female?
20141014_175718.jpg
male?

Also, on the bigger plants I've noticed some of the tips are bending down or up at 90 degree angles, is that a Nitrogen toxicity? And if so would it be worth doing anything about considering they are 2 1/2 weeks away from harvest? This week they are getting PK 13/14.

Almost forgot to mention, I will be going on holiday for a month pretty much as these will be ready for harvest, so is there a method of curing that would not require me to check on them for a long period of time? If not any other suggestions for what I should do?

Your second photograph appears to show a male cannabis plant, kill it! Nitrogen toxicity can be one reason for downward curled claw like leaves, I would need to see more of your plant. After the buds are dried after 5-7 days and the buds just snap from the stem you can cut the buds off the stems and place the buds into storage containers to begin curing. Boveda 62% humidity packs can be used to keep your curing buds at 62% humidity and used for long term storage.

Boveda® Humidipaks

https://www.bovedainc.com Herbal

I have read that you need to check them every day for mold when curing, would that still need to be done? I think the leaf curling may be happening because it is near harvest time? Here are some more photos of the actual buds, some were taken through a magnifying loupe.
20141017_173742.jpg
20141017_173714.jpg
20141016_170134.jpg
20141016_170029.jpg
20141016_165948.jpg

Your plant is looking good. When you cure your buds you need to allow the humidity to stabilize throughout the buds as they cure by placing the buds in a large bowl for 10 minutes per day for 10 days where they can stabilize to relative humidity. I also re humidify my buds by placing the buds in a container with a humidity pad that you wet to add humidity back to buds and stabilize the cured buds to 62% humidity before smoking.

When I harvest I use disposable vinyl gloves and when I harvest a plant I start by cutting the branches off 1 by 1. I take the branch and first strip off all the fan leaves. I then use a pair of Fiskars Micro Tip Pruning scissors and trim all the sugar leaves flush with the bud. I then take the trimmed branches and place them in my drying rack to dry for 5-7 days or until the buds just break off the stems. I then trim off the buds from the stems and place the buds into storage containers. I take the buds out of the storage containers and place into a large bowl for 10 minutes per day for 10 days.

My drying rack

dry_fast_cactus.jpg

For trimming I use Fiskars Softouch Micro-Tip Pruning Snip recommended by the arthritis society, they come with a lifetime replacement warranty. One of the handles broke on my last pair, I used the warranty claim on the website and Fiskars replaced them at no cost.

https://www2.fiskars.com Titanium Micro Tip Easy Action Scissors No.5

drying racks

2' Dry Rack w/ Zipper Openings - perfectgardens

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom