First Grow - 4x4 - 1000W MH/HPS - DWC

TheDankDuo

Hello there everyone of :420: !

This is my first journal as well as my first ever grow, so try not to be to critical :p. I have been stalking the forums here for months, compiling research and soaking up all the wealth of knowledge here...really appreciate the dedication people, awesome community. Anyways, lets get started here:

What strain is it? 1x 3 different strains all AUTOFLOWERS (Girl Scout Cookies, Fast Buds White Widow x Big Bud, and Heavyweight Fast & Vast)

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Autoflower, Hybrids

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? 2 days since popping out of plugs; very early veg

Indoor or outdoor? Indoor 4x4 Apollo Horticulture

Soil or Hydro? Hydro; Deep Water Culture 5 Gal bubbble buckets with 2 large airstones each and 10in net pots.

Size of light? 1000w MH/HPS Predator Hood with Nanolux 1000w Ballast OG series

Is it aircooled? Yes 6inch Can-Fan Pro Series 420cfm exhausting out of room to carbon filter; passive intake

Temp of Room/cab? 70-85F

RH of Room/cab? 40-60%

PH of media or res? 5.4-6.2 optimal 5.8

Any Pests ? nothing yet

How often are you watering? Will add water when appropriate, water line a little past the net pots (will bring down as roots grow longer)

Type and strength of ferts used? Using z7 water treatment 2 part throughout entire grow. Also, will be using Advanced Nutrients ph perfect 3 part MICRO, GROW, and BLOOM once more true leaves come in. Also, looking at getting addition Advanced Nutrients products, especially for flowering.

Germination: All three seeds were germinated inside Rapid Rooter plugs. On 10/24: I soaked the plugs in DO water overnight, then soaked the seeds for approx. 6 hours in DO water as well. 10/25: After this, I shook/squeezed the plugs gently to get excess water out;and then, I placed the seeds carefully and in a sterile manner inside the plugs. I placed the plugs inside of a tray with a humidity dome ontop. NOTE* when I put the seeds in the Rapid Rooters, I tore a piece off from the bottom to put lightly over top of the hole so no light could reach the roots. 10/28:The GSC and the WWxBB popped out of Rapid Rooters, final seed Fast&Vast popped from Rapid Rooter that night.

DSCN03479.JPG
DSCN034917.JPG

Vegging:
10/29: Checked roots, visible small roots coming from bottom and sides of all plugs; decided to transplant them to their final homes already, straight to the DWC bubble buckets for these bad chickas. I have them under the MH bulb now, only running at 50%, I want them to adjust to the new light and the intensity before I go full on.

DSCN035012.JPG
DSCN035114.JPG

Girl Scout Cookies
DSCN035212.JPG

White Widow x Big Bud
DSCN035312.JPG

Heavyweights Fast&Vast
DSCN035414.JPG

How am I doing so far peoples? Please let me know if there are changes that need to be made. I am taking this very serious and really want my hard work and OCD to amount to a wonderful harvest. I'll appreciate any and all feedback.

Setup:
DSCN035713.JPG

Yah it is a: King Cobra 6in by Predator Lighting. I was gonna go with Hydrofarms Raptor 6in but got this instead since it's the same damn thing just cheaper. Thanks for taking a look arpowre3!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

11/2: Day 5

Here is a little update on the little ladies.
DSCN036211.JPG

GSC
DSCN035912.JPG

WW x BB
DSCN036011.JPG

Fast&Vast
DSCN036112.JPG

I think they are looking good so far, nothing special...yet.

However, a question if someone would be so kind to help me out.
My pH keeps going up, i have to add a tiny bit of down twice a day it seems to keep it at 5.8. Is this something I should expect to get use to doing? if so whatever, just want to make sure I am not doing anything drastically wrong. Or will this start balancing out more once I start using ph balanced nutes? I am using DO water, with z7 standard dose for water cleansing/maintenance, zero nutes yet.

also temps got a bit high today due to temps outside being warm and I didnt leave the A/C on...oops. But the temps only got up to 88, with a rez temp of 75-76, however, there are no roots in the rez yet coming from the net pots so I am pretty sure it wont effect them. Definitely, will keep an eye on the forecast from now on though.

11/4 update:

So very small amount of nutes were added today.

-Advanced Nutrients 3 part M,G,B 7ml of each per bucket
-Voodoo Juice 5ml per bucket
-z7 2 part 1ml of each in each bucket

GSC::ph 5.8::ppm 240::rez 73
DSCN036411.JPG

WWxBB::ph 5.9::ppm 230::rez 73
DSCN036511.JPG

Fast&Vast::ph 5.8::ppm 230::rez 73
DSCN036616.JPG

I also have some CalMagic Xtra, but that is just incase, I shouldnt have to add any now correct?

11/7 Update:

They are looking pretty damn good so far =).

Added more z7, 1.3ml per bucket per dosage instructions. Obviously, the ppm's are still the SAME, they do not have many roots in the water to start feeding.

GSC:: PH 5.8:: PPM 250:: Temp 69F:: Added a little water to her.
DSCN03699.JPG

WWxBB:: PH 5.8:: PPM 250ish:: Temp 69F::
DSCN037014.JPG

Fast&Vast:: PH 5.8:: PPM 250ish:: Temp 69F::
DSCN037113.JPG

All Three
DSCN037214.JPG

So I am looking at topping these autos probably at the end of the week if the growth continues. What yall think?

Ph and temperature go hand in hand. As plants use up nutrients in the water, the Ph will rise too. This can compound with heat, raising the Ph further.

Thoroughly wash grow mediums with Ph'd water as good practice.

Balance less often as possible, letting the system rise to 6.3, never past 6.4 though.
5.7-6.3 is safe within the hydro range of 5.5-6.5 for plant nutrient uptake.

Hope it helps!

So I am looking at topping these autos probably at the end of the week if the growth continues. What yall think?

I would wait a little longer, just to make sure they are strong enough. See some more nodes and then top them.:Namaste:

Ph and temperature go hand in hand. As plants use up nutrients in the water, the Ph will rise too. This can compound with heat, raising the Ph further.

Thoroughly wash grow mediums with Ph'd water as good practice.

Balance less often as possible, letting the system rise to 6.3, never past 6.4 though.
5.7-6.3 is safe within the hydro range of 5.5-6.5 for plant nutrient uptake.

Hope it helps!

Thanks for the reply! I usually balance the pH daily, but only adjusting from 6.0 back down to 5.8. Barely using much ph down. Is this acceptable practice or should I let it swing more

I would wait a little longer, just to make sure they are strong enough. See some more nodes and then top them.:Namaste:

Figured I would try and too around the 3rd or 4th node, heard earlier is better for the autos. So this is the second node starting now out of my plants correct?

It looks like it, but they seem so tiny, that is why I suggested to wait a little :Namaste:

Gotcha, understood. I truly think they are gonna double in size by the end of the week though, really wanted to top as early as possible so they still have good recover/veg time before they autoflower.

Thanks for the advice bro, much appreciated.

plants uptake more water and less nutrients the Ph decreases, becoming more acidic
as they uptake less water and more nutrients the Ph increases, becoming more alkaline
DWC is a daily routine of checking water level, Ph and ppm

As for the spots, nutrient burn starts as yellow/brown burns on leaf tips

what is the distance from your plant canopy to your lamp?
Is your light still at 50% ?

possible light burn?

Ive never used a 1000w light on such small seedlings
Indoor lighting can actually burn plants without heat, because of their intensity

The light is still at 50%, and is about 24inches away from the plants. I checked the water and all the levels twice a day, everything has been going smoothly. Should I put the light up a bit you think?

Back
Top Bottom