First Grow - 5 month old - 10gal smart pot - T5 lights - Question how to flower

Jointosaur

I would like to show you guys what I have learned so far from this forum. Been a long time lurker, even longer time stoner, but always been a scientist. I have a master in science, in a field that has nothing to do with agronomy haha. Anyways, my main plant is 5 months old, from seed. It has another 6-8weeks before i put it into flower.

Lights: 18on/6off; t5s, total 130watts for vegging, i have about 1000watts mix led/t5s to flower under
Soil: 50% moss, 30% Perlitte, 20% sand
Nutrients: FoxFarms GrowBig (nitrogen), and BigBloom (earth worm and bat poopy) i use them 1-2x a week, I flower every other day or every 3rd day
Water: Dechlorined over night in a big pot, im getting a small air pump to increase oxygen level

What is the best way to flower this? I think i will go ScrOG method?

I will flower in a 5x5 tent, only this one plant, i have 1 x 420w reflector, 2 x 200wat, and 6 x 40wat t5s. So i think space/lighting is definitly covered.

Any tips? on growing a big plant like this? I notice most people dont grow such big plant....how should i proceed forward?

Pic below
IMG_73996.JPG

The 2 clear cups have i believe mint? in them. My gf is growing it for fun. Theres also 2 small clones that arent in the pic.

I definitely think scrog would be a good choice for your beast, would definitely get the most bang for buck space wise, light absorption and it helps keep it in check. The scrog will help with the fabled flower stretch (think ita 2-3 weeks in and your girl should have reached its maximum stretching point) I'd suggest to just keep an eye and make sure it stays relatively level by using the scrog screen. Frankly your plant looks excellent , science away!

I definitely think scrog would be a good choice for your beast, would definitely get the most bang for buck space wise, light absorption and it helps keep it in check. The scrog will help with the fabled flower stretch (think ita 2-3 weeks in and your girl should have reached its maximum stretching point) I'd suggest to just keep an eye and make sure it stays relatively level by using the scrog screen. Frankly your plant looks excellent , science away!

Thanks for the kind words! I have trimmed away some of the lower growth so its more prepared for the scrog.
This plant has another I would say 4 weeks before I start flowering it. I hope it grows even more!

I am feeding it with nutrients, i use mostly Nitrogen and bat/worm castings but I also been adding a bit of flowering nutrients.

Should I slowly switch to only flowering nutrients ?
I have Cal-Mag, do i use?
Any other tips?

You'll want to still add a bit of nitro but not as much as you are currently, I'd say when your ready to make the switch to flower start adding more flower nutes and less nitro. regarding cal mag I would only add a little by every couple of weeks if you had led lights you would need it more often. But cfl and hps don't require it as much though if you see your new growth looks a little twisted and deformed add some in with the next feeding. 4 more weeks! Wow it's going to be a monster I wish I was more patient I usually flip Round about 40 days just so I can plant more types but I'm sold on just doing one now and being patient! Keep doing what your doing for a first grow this is art. bravo

Since getting thrips I am religiously keeping my space tidy , may want to have a clean up every few weeks to keep your space nice and safe . Pulling cat hair off of nuggets isn't that fun!

Remember the stretch factor as well, through the first three weeks of flowering your plant will continue to grow towards and outwards although your scrog will sort that!

Great! I am gonna full stop using nitrogen and switch to all flowering nutes in another like 2 weeks. I dont even use that many nutrients to be honest. 6month veg + ~2month flower = 8-9month project with harvest/curing.....it better be worth it. If i get anything less than 1/2lb, i will count this as a fail.

Welcome to the site.
With a plant that big in that tent i would put the scrog net on her now. You will only need to fill the screen to 75%-80% and the strech should take care of the rest. 5 months is a long veg my friend.

UPDATE:

1month after last pictures:
IMG_79207.JPG
IMG_79174.JPG

Its grown bigger and badder. Im putting it in the big tent under 1 400watmars reflector and 2 x 200wat mars leds. total 800+ actual watts LEDs + ~140wat t5.

The plant was initially under 4 x 32wat t5, then i added 2 x40watt shown in the pic. Its over 3 feet tall.

I havent decided if i should use screen yet. maybe i will. i need to decide this week.

Back
Top Bottom