First Grow - Bianca Feminized - Soil - LED

ninetoes

Just received some Bianca Feminized seeds from AMS. Put 6 in a wet paper towel to germinate (hoping to grow all 6). For this grow we will be using:

-FF Happy Frog soil
-6 Five-gallon buckets
-Two Apollo 300 watt LED panels (Full spectrum)
-4x4x6' Grow tent with mylar
-General Organics Biothrive veg & bloom nutrients
-4" Inline exhaust fan
-Box fan for circulation/breeze effect
-Humidifier when needed

We have trouble keeping the humidity high, as we live in a semi-arid climate. Does anybody know if it will affect our plants negatively to not keep the humidity near 60%?

Also, any advice on whether we should transplant multiple times? We were thinking of going from paper towel to solo cups to five-gallon buckets.

Will post pictures when we have everything in the tent. Any help or advice for our first grow would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi, ninetoes, and welcome!

How wet are your paper towels for germinating? Are they in a warm place? I only ask because I killed my first few seeds by using a sopping wet (rather than damp) paper towel and letting them get cold ... this still haunts me :)

What's the temp and humidity of your tent when it's running? Just so we know how far off 60% you are.

You're not growing an auto strain so up-potting should be fine. There are definitely benefits to repotting at least once if not twice: control over root development (if you don't let them get root bound); more efficient watering; limits soil compaction.

@glimmergrass thanks for the welcome! We (being my boyfriend and myself) have been using some old seeds (now seedlings) to test our grow tent and the newer leaves seem a little wrinkly, which is why I wonder about humidity. With our box fan always running, the humidity stays at around 35%. The temp above the light stays around 74° and it's around 77° under the light. We only have one light on, plan to turn the other on during the vegetation stage.

As for seeds, we put them in a damp paper towel in a ziploc bag with some air in it, put it in a box to make sure it's dark and put it in the tent.

We are planning to keep the LEDs at about 24" from seedlings, 20" during veg, and 18" during the flowering stage. Here's a picture of our setup right now:

20151130_163515.jpg

We don't plan to grow 3 plants in one bucket with our Bianca seeds, it's just our test. The fan is facing away from the plants and there is exhaust ducting coming out the top. We also have one of the bottom vents open with a filter over the screen.
(Also, I don't know if I can fix the orientation for photos on here, or if I need to upload landscape-oriented ones next time?)

We are planning to turn on the exhaust fan (125 CFM) for 15 minutes once per hour. The lights are set to 18/6, and we plan to change it to 12/12 for flowering of course.

EDIT: We turned on the humidifier in the room outside the tent and sprayed the plants/walls of tent with a spray bottle. About an hour the humidity was at 47% so that might work.

Welcome and good job getting the humidity up on your trial run. Once you get to flowering you'll be trying to keep it down:thumb:

Here's a pic of them in their solo cups :) We sprinkled a little dirt on top of the holes we put them in, to be sure no light is getting through.
20151201_171416-1.jpg

We have the light in the same spot, so probably about 40" from the solo cups. They aren't directly under the light yet, either.

We figured we don't really need the exhaust until our babies get vegging (and won't need the humidifier on anymore by about the same time, probably). It also wrecks our humidity to turn the exhaust on with very little foliage. :p

So we are using our exhaust timer for the humidifier right now, it's in the tent, coming on 15 min out of the hour, and the humidity is staying around 60% now. The temperature is at 77 degrees.

Hi, ninetoes! That's wonderful, that you got the humidity up so well! Spraying the inside of a tent works really well -- I do that too when my humidity gets too low. Glad your seeds cracked -- hope you see babies soon!

Photos taken on phones tend to show up sideways. You have to either 1. take the photos in landscape with the volume buttons down (for iPhone) or 2. edit the photos before uploading them.

The wrinkly new foliage sounds pretty normal -- but it would be great to have a photo of it!

And if you get a sec, do consider adding a link to your journal in your signature: this way, as you move through the site and interact, people who wish to support you can find your "home" :) Here's a link to how to do that: How to Add Links to Signatures

So glad you're here :)

Hi, ninetoes! That's wonderful, that you got the humidity up so well! Spraying the inside of a tent works really well -- I do that too when my humidity gets too low. Glad your seeds cracked -- hope you see babies soon!

Photos taken on phones tend to show up sideways. You have to either 1. take the photos in landscape with the volume buttons down (for iPhone) or 2. edit the photos before uploading them.

The wrinkly new foliage sounds pretty normal -- but it would be great to have a photo of it!

And if you get a sec, do consider adding a link to your journal in your signature: this way, as you move through the site and interact, people who wish to support you can find your "home" :) Here's a link to how to do that: How to Add Links to Signatures

So glad you're here :)

We're glad to be here! I agree, the wrinkly foliage is normal. I was a little worried but now that I've looked at other grow journals, I'm sure it's normal! I don't have any pictures of those plants, and sadly, we're going to kill them soon to make room for the babies. :(

Update: 4 Seedlings have popped through the root riot! Just a day after placing them in the cups. :circle-of-love:

Anybody know what's up with the slight yellowing on our test babies? Maybe they are starting to need some nutrients? It isn't any worse today, and I'm sure it's no big deal. But we want to learn as much as we can and keep from ruining our new expensive-seed babies :p

Update: 4 Seedlings have popped through the root riot! Just a day after placing them in the cups. :circle-of-love:

Anybody know what's up with the slight yellowing on our test babies? Maybe they are starting to need some nutrients? It isn't any worse today, and I'm sure it's no big deal. But we want to learn as much as we can and keep from ruining our new expensive-seed babies :p

I don't think they'd be hungry in FFHF.

Does anyone experienced have an opinion about the LED vertical distance? Are they too close maybe? :scratchinghead:

[Somebody knowledgeable will probably chime in soon]

Back
Top Bottom