first grow/build, looking for critique and some input please

Technak

first grow/build, looking for critique and some input please

Hello growers! After extensively combing this site as well as reading a few books and watching documentaries by the cooper fella, hightimes, and a few instructional youtube build videos, i think im readyo to try this out, hope a few of you salt dogs on here can help a rookie out and shoot some knowledge my way.

I will be building in the basement. I would like to use 4x400w lights or 3 400s and maybe a 150 for veg. Or possibly all 5? So this is where my first question comes in. After looking all over and i surely hope I didn't miss it. WHAT is exactly considered a big grow and small grow? Will an electric company think that 4 of those lights are way to much energy? What if i build them up slowly? like one a month? none the less is that considered a lot?

I will be constructing in my basement. As far as I can see only the water meters are down there that might need an occasional looking at. I am building a completely new room using 2x3s with correct spacing of 16 inches. Sheetrock only on the outside to give it a nicer look. The room will be a 7x9ish and then split off another small veg room and dry room(basically if i need more grow space i have room to play). Not for nothing im thinking ill have more then enough space. Id like to have each light growing a 3x3 area ish. Is that a good circumference? All my framing is currently complete. Sheet rock will go in a little later. I bought a huge black pool tarp. Will use that as my first layer for the walls. And use a piece of duct tape for the staple and then another piece on top of the staple for a good seal. Once room is all blacked out and tightened for air. I will apply a white reflective poly liner I got my hands on.

Here is one of my biggest questions. Hope its not a stupid one. So I have been watching and reading how to do proper exhaust and intake. I got a nice fan with a crabon filter ready to go for exhaust which I will just pump right back into the rest of the basement somewhere in the back. My intake I was told, should possibly be connected to a room somewhere in the house. Love that idea. Hate having to cut a possible hole in the floor. Any other ideas? Its a big basement. Can I just use the basment air for that also?
Exbaust set high by ceiling and intake low by the ground? Here is where I get confused. What kind of climate control switches should I be looking for and where? How do I maintain temp? I figure the lights will produce more then enough heat and that will never be an issue in keeping a high temp? Basically im a little worried about the electrical work. I got an hvac buddy willing to help but I dont think he knows what I should be using for climate control either. So, so far this is how far I come. I will definitely be making a journal as I get deeper into this awesome journey.

Hello buddy , im sort of new also been growing about 18 months. I tried , failed , perfected growing . Basement are tricky in summer due to moisture bugs etc . On the flip side u got water and electricial box. Growing is too easy and I think we over think growing . Your definety going to need Humidefer . I would alos use a stand alone ac inside room it will exhaust out set it on 75. I would just pull fresh air in from one fan and if possible just keep a window open to allow fresh air hit the basement . 400 dont give much heat a good fan blowing should be good . Im no professional so please dont take what i say as growing bible . I have personally grow in everypart of the house so these are just my experience . If you use dirt in basement i would fill top 1/3 of pots with those hydo rocks . Keep pest out of the soil . Remember mold loves basements ! Anything i can help ya with im here ! Good luck and happy growing !

Thanks brother. Will definitely take the advice. I also looked over the link above some more. Great info. Still cant find what a power company may consider a lot or a little? Saw somewhere on the forum, one guy said 2000w/m and less isnt really anything at all? Does that hold any weight? I figure thats what ill be running total after all fans and what not are averaged in. Thnks ahead all for the valuable input

Hey technak, welcome to :420:

In regards to your question about exhaust and intake. If you ran 4 400's there will be some heat build up and you are going to need to get rid of this hot air, you need to get this air out of the basement. as long as your basements ambient temp is reasonable you should be able to get away with just the exhaust. I have a veg room set up in a basement with a 600 a 400 and a 200 watt t5 everything stays pretty good with a 6 " fan but no carbon filter is used so there is less restriction.

If your planning to use the carbon scrubber you have to take that into account too. meaning a bigger inline fan. I think an 8" fan would work depending on how you configured the lights. With fans its always a good option to get a bigger fan than you need and run it on a speed controller. This way if you expand you already have a fan capable for a heavier load.

You should be measuring temps and humidty now before you start so You have an idea of what you are up against.

Someone also stated you will need a humidifier. If your flowering in the basement you will surely not need a humidifier but a dehumidifier instead.

Hope this helps some.
good luck

Im running 4 1k 1 400 and 1 600 2 four foot floursant plus timers pumps . I have never had problem with electric company . I quess that depends where u live ? You should be good !

Back
Top Bottom