First grow - Burnt tips curling down

BuzzIightyear

Hey guys !

I am currently in the second week of my first closet grow. I noticed that some of the tips are starting to
burn and curl down, and I need your help :hmmmm: Here is my current setup.

- Organic soil (mix of leafs and black dirt and a bit of worm cast)
- No added nutrients
- 6 23W CFLS @ 6000K, about 7-8 inches over the plants.
- Temps are high, ranging from 85 to 90F ( 30 - 32C )
- Growing in plastic cups for now

When I searched, it really seemed like a nutrient burn. Though, I haven't been feeding any nutrients so far. I really suspect the heat to be the problem. I just ordered a thermostat and a small AC. The closet' temps now range between 75-82F (24-38C)

So I am wondering what should I do... Wait or transplant them in some new black dirt and bigger pots without any types of organic nutrients ? Any ideas of what the problem might be ?

Thanks a lot !!!! :Namaste:

IMG_9238.JPG

IMG_92371.JPG

IMG_9236.JPG

If it were heat the problems should show more at the top of the plant closest to the lights. Yours indicates nute burn. Soil may just be really rich for the seedling. I suspect you will be fine. From what I can see the newer growth looks good.

By the way with 23 watt cfls it's really hard to burn plants. You want those lights within 2-3 inces of the plant at all times. The only way you will really burn your plant with those is if it's touching for an extended period.

I think you should not expose the roots to the light. If the cups are transparent cover there with something. (It may be mistaking but I know 100% many growers avoid this).
If the leaves don't go worse and the new growth is green it should be OK. Also maybe you can buff the soil with something that will keep the PH in range.

I think you should not expose the roots to the light. If the cups are transparent cover there with something. (It may be mistaking but I know 100% many growers avoid this).
If the leaves don't go worse and the new growth is green it should be OK. Also maybe you can buff the soil with something that will keep the PH in range.

I didn't even notice the clear cups. Good eye!!

Wow that actually makes a lot of sense ! I'll put the clear cups in colored cops, so no transplant for now !

Thanks ! :Namaste:

Wow that actually makes a lot of sense ! I'll put the clear cups in colored cops, so no transplant for now !

Thanks ! :Namaste:

Still showing a little bit of nute burn from the soil though. I'm sure you will be fine, it looks like it just got the older leaves a bit.

Still showing a little bit of nute burn from the soil though. I'm sure you will be fine, it looks like it just got the older leaves a bit.

Would you suggest me to transplant them in regular black dirt + perlite with no nutrients for a few days ?

If I transplant, I would go with the bigger pots. They aren't clear but will take way more space. They would require me to turn on all the lights to cover all the plants. I have a temporary solution for the heat while I receive the small AC for the grow tent, but it might not be enough to keep the temperature at an acceptable level...

Any ideas ? I could also transplant them in cups (no clear ones this time) of the same size but with new dirt without organic nutrients ?

Thanks for the help guys :)

I've done a bit more research ! I think a flush might be a good alternative to a transplant !

I am probably gonna try this tomorrow to remove any nutes from the soil. Anyone against that idea ;) ?

Just cover the cups with something so the roots are in darkness. You can transplant a bit later and flush the soil, if you think that is your problem. Maybe u have some flora kleen or flawless finish to add when flushing. Might help...

Just cover the cups with something so the roots are in darkness. You can transplant a bit later and flush the soil, if you think that is your problem. Maybe u have some flora kleen or flawless finish to add when flushing. Might help...

Perfect ! I won't flush them but I'll give them a good shot of water. More leaves are pointing down this morning. It might actually be a combination of under watering + burn of the roots. Might help cleaning a bit of nutes from the soil at the same time..

I covered the cups with duct tape. Looks a bit redneck but it hides all the roots from light sources.

Thanks again, I'll keep you guys updated ;)

I went to the plant, stuck my fingers about 1" deep and it still felt a bit humid. From the look, it seems way more like over-watering. I water my plants every two days but i'll wait a bit more for this one instead. If the leafs seem worst tonight, then i'll water them.

Redneck? My first grow room was made with only duct tape and whire. Everything was duct or tied with that ugly ass brown whire.

Redneck? My first grow room was made with only duct tape and whire. Everything was duct or tied with that ugly ass brown whire.

Hahaha, sounds legit !

Do you think I should actually cut the burnt leafs so they to take all the plant's energy ?
here are some more pictures of the burns. The leafs are also turning a bit yellow :(

IMG_93001.JPG

IMG_92993.JPG

Hahaha, sounds legit !

Do you think I should actually cut the burnt leafs so they to take all the plant's energy ?
here are some more pictures of the burns. The leafs are also turning a bit yellow :(

IMG_93001.JPG

IMG_92993.JPG
NO. Not yet. If there is any burn still going on then it will just start to burn new leaves. Those burned leaves are still working for you, they are not that bad. Leave em there.

Back
Top Bottom