First Grow Cab

jwb87

Alright guys, well after several weeks of reading over all these awesome threads, Ive begun the building of my Cab, with ideas taken from Stratologics, minus the little lighting area.

My intent is to make this into a Lowryder cab eventually (due to the height). For now it will be an all in 1 veg/flowering, DWC cab, but once I get a few grows under my belt I plan to build a PC veg chamber to be able to have several strains going.

Maybe eventually I will either build a larger model, or learn to LST/Top/FIM, or SCROGG so I can grow larger (medium) sized plants.

I took a couple 2x4 8's and just ripped em down for 1 1/2 Framing.
step_110.jpg

I installed cross blocking on the sides and top with the ideas of Eye hooks and J hooks to adjust the height of my lights by means of Jack Chains (may end up with more blocking to support my electrical box & whatever else I may need)
step_23.jpg

Here is the sides and top sheathed (not much improvement but I like lots of pictures in other peoples threads!!)
step_32.jpg

Oddly enough, just as Ive seen in other posts, family matters arose and took priority, so I will update with more pics through the week as I continue the build.

I plan to paint the interior bright white and exterior black. Looking for suggestions for fan size, I plan to mount a set of interior/exterior in the top and likewise in the bottom.

Any other suggestions, ideas, criticisms are much appreciated!! (just keep in mind this is my first grow/build, I in no way claim to be l33t) Thanks all!!!

uh...sh!t, does this websites uploading strip cell phone information....:wood::yikes:

:tokin: Pretty small. You must be tight on space. The best grow boxes follow the KISS rule.
I used PVC pipe to build the framework cobbled together a cover/canopy/glove out of thin foam insulation covered with aluminum foil with a shower curtain front. Just use CFL's. Its 2.5' x 4.5' x 6'4". Use DWC.:lot-o-toke:

Looking Good jw!!

Prairie
Thanks Prairie :grinjoint: one more coat of paint on the exterior (to cover up a little white run off) and Ill put my hardware on and send her home, hopefully by the weekend!

:tokin: Pretty small. You must be tight on space. The best grow boxes follow the KISS rule.
I used PVC pipe to build the framework cobbled together a cover/canopy/glove out of thin foam insulation covered with aluminum foil with a shower curtain front. Just use CFL's. Its 2.5' x 4.5' x 6'4". Use DWC.:lot-o-toke:

Ya, thats just it, looking to do a closet grow. Not familiar with the rule but I'll def. look it up! Though I did intend on this cab being for autoflower/lowryder strains, so I SHOULD have more than enough room for 4 plants (from what research I've done). OD are 49" H x 31" W x 22" Deep (havent gotten my ID yet). But the lowryders Ive ordered (Automaria II) only grow 2- 2 1/2feet tall.

Hopefully Ill get the hang of LST'ing or SCROGing within a few harvests! That would enable me to maybe grow a little larger plant? But I'll be happy with the supposed Zip these girls can put out (looking at the upper side of 3 O's, fingers crossed).

Def. going with DWC, just need to go pick up my 10gal res (for 4 plants). Any suggestion on a submersible pump??? Just the pump to feed the water up to the manifold to feed the small veggies. Also heard of simply filling the bucket "more full" and making the airstones bubble the media.

I ordered a T5 2 Foot 4 Bulb fixture (figured it'd be easier to comprehend) with my intent to use it for my toplight, and either use ONE 2 Foot 2 Bulb T8 Fixture on either side, or maybe just a Y splitter on either side with some CFL's.

Thanks Prairie :grinjoint: one more coat of paint on the exterior (to cover up a little white run off) and Ill put my hardware on and send her home, hopefully by the weekend!

Ya, thats just it, looking to do a closet grow. Not familiar with the rule but I'll def. look it up! Though I did intend on this cab being for autoflower/lowryder strains, so I SHOULD have more than enough room for 4 plants (from what research I've done). OD are 49" H x 31" W x 22" Deep (havent gotten my ID yet). But the lowryders Ive ordered (Automaria II) only grow 2- 2 1/2feet tall.

Hopefully Ill get the hang of LST'ing or SCROGing within a few harvests! That would enable me to maybe grow a little larger plant? But I'll be happy with the supposed Zip these girls can put out (looking at the upper side of 3 O's, fingers crossed).

Def. going with DWC, just need to go pick up my 10gal res (for 4 plants). Any suggestion on a submersible pump??? Just the pump to feed the water up to the manifold to feed the small veggies. Also heard of simply filling the bucket "more full" and making the airstones bubble the media.

I ordered a T5 2 Foot 4 Bulb fixture (figured it'd be easier to comprehend) with my intent to use it for my toplight, and either use ONE 2 Foot 2 Bulb T8 Fixture on either side, or maybe just a Y splitter on either side with some CFL's.

KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid

:tokin:For DWC I use Active Aqua Pump AAPW160/JP-900. You don't need a fancy reservoir. For Bloom I use old 5 gal paint pails (Black or Gray) 1 plant per pail. Easier to clean and work with during res. changes. During Veg I have a large Igloo cooler with 5 holes cut in the lid to accommodate 5" net pots. Prior to the roots making contact with the water you need to pump water into the net baskets. Once the roots hit the water the pump can be removed. The dimensions of my cooler are 40" long 18" wide and 18" high. For the water delivery system I use the aforementioned pump and 1/2" hose. approx a 4" section from the pump head to an El then a 36" piece of the same hose from the el along approx. mid way up the side of the tank. I drilled a small hole to fasten a plastic clip to hold up the far end of the hose. Put a stopper in the far end. Drill 5 or 6 holes equal distance from each other and then put in 180' spray nozzles in four of the 5 holes. In the fifth hole I place a dual hose fitting and run small hose to the baskets. I usually have two plants receiving water directly to the basket and two more with roots in the water. These are also bathed by the water being sprayed by the spray fixtures. So in fact it is a DWC and aeroponic system. When I move them to bloom I merely pick out the net basket place it in the lid of the 5 gal. pail and move it to the bloom room with two 4" OxyStones attached to AAPA7.8L Active Aqua 2 port air pump. NO water pump.:popcorn: I'll be watching. If I can help I will.

Res8.jpg

No pretty water res here. Just a standard 10 gal Tote. Got some reflective tape I will wrap it in (once I receive my 3" nettys, so I can make nice purdy cuts) to help reflect some of the heat (hopefully).

From my understanding for the style DWC I'm attempting goes as such:

Run a air pump into the Res to aerate/move the water & nutes around, but in veg stage (until roots reach water level) you run a submersible pump with 4 lines (one to each netty). Once the roots get big enough you simply pull the sub pump and run off the air pump. at least thats my understanding/plan.

I ordered a "Tetra Whisper Air Pump 20 Gal Tank" that I plan to run outside the tub, and Im looking at the "Active Aqua 225GPH" submersible, that I plan to run up to my "Raindrip 13500UB Adjustable Manifold" and then pipe out 4 lines to each net pot.

I hope to have the system (minus lights and seeds) up and running this weekend and I will have pictures to show all this nonsense, thanks allot for all the help and input!!! :thanks:

Front
Final_Phases-Front.jpg

Side
Final_Phases_-_Right_Side.jpg

The outsides pretty much done, cept the occassional sharpie graffitti or the occasional sticker from a friend. Though I'm not to impressed with these POS locking hasps. Wish I just went with a standard hasp and a padlock. Still need a hasp for the top to suck it in...

Insides drying with a little touchup. Need to install my Eye hooks for the jackchain to support my main fixture. Build my power cord and mount it. Also gotta cut in my fans...

Researching fan controllers... any info much appreciated. Got most of my meters, pump, hydroton and fans in the mail today. Will post pics tomorrow!

The outsides pretty much done, cept the occassional sharpie graffitti or the occasional sticker from a friend. Though I'm not to impressed with these POS locking hasps. Wish I just went with a standard hasp and a padlock. Still need a hasp for the top to suck it in...

Researching fan controllers... any info much appreciated. Got most of my meters, pump, hydroton and fans in the mail today. Will post pics tomorrow!

Looking real nice jw. Just a small suggestion if you ever re-work this box. Perhaps if you could find black hardware to go on it. Kind of slightly hide that it is all locked up.

It is going to be enjoyable watching all of your work as it progresses.

Prairie

:tokin:Now that I see the finished product I suggest you grow some sort of "Gold Bud". The darn thing looks like Ft. Knox!

Looking real nice jw. Just a small suggestion if you ever re-work this box. Perhaps if you could find black hardware to go on it. Kind of slightly hide that it is all locked up.

It is going to be enjoyable watching all of your work as it progresses.

Prairie

Thanks allot man! Actually when I got done with it all, I contemplated spraying it down with some high gloss black rustoleum I had in the shop haha.

:tokin:Now that I see the finished product I suggest you grow some sort of "Gold Bud". The darn thing looks like Ft. Knox!

Haha thanks for the feedback man!

Biggest concern atm is still trying to control my fans. I bought a universal adapter but it only puts out .6A . Gotta go to radio shack soon and see if they have one that kicks out 1-1.5A, I think that will help speed them up.

Also need a controller for my ONA bucket

My first grow was in a similar cabinet. You just have too make sure you go to 12-12 before the plant(s) get to tall. You don't have much headroom in there.

with the seeds I ordered (which should be here today) they shouldnt get beyond 3', even 2 1/2' ideally, then I'd be set. Also they dont need a different light cycle, just 24/0 all the way through. Though I dont know if I still used a light cycle if that would increase the yield.

Thanks!

with the seeds I ordered (which should be here today) they shouldnt get beyond 3', even 2 1/2' ideally, then I'd be set. Also they dont need a different light cycle, just 24/0 all the way through. Though I dont know if I still used a light cycle if that would increase the yield.

Thanks!

:thumb: I've never used/grown auto flower before. I'll be watching. I'm sure to learn along with you.:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom