first grow DIY set up

Thread starter #1
This is my first grow box and its all a DIY setup. Please help me out if you see things I should change. I had an old cupboard in the garage I wasn't using 28"X33"x13".
Lights
I had a 24" Dual T5 light from an old planted fishtank I had. 10 CFL's currently 27K for flowering at 1600 lumens. Running on for power strips. I got 3 for $5 on Craigslist. 2 for $6 AT HomeDepot. Running a 12 on 12 off timer.
Venting is a bathroom vent fan from HomeDepot for $13. I am also using a small personal fan i got from Wal*Mart for $5. Fan and Bathroom vent running 24 hrs.
I'm running 4 bottles of DIY C02, 2 running into the back of the fan the other to sit at the base of the plants. I am mixing a DIY fertilizer mix from Dry Ferts I also had from a planted tank. I have everything micro and macro ferts.

I just recently noticing what I think is a Magnesium deficiency on one plant that also seems to be reacting to a bit of over watering. So now I'm kinda stuck in a hard spot I know it has a deficiency but it is also over watered so I can't fix the deficiency till it drys out a bit. I also needed to transplant during flowering something I really didn't want to do but had to. Im hoping to build a 6'x4' box in my garage soon to be able to grow some monsters but right know just truing to keep it small. I am not going to be using the buds from the plants more for the wife and her severe anxiety and a hobby for me. I have been learning as i go. Please an tips pointers welcome. I do understand the tinfoil isn't ideal along with other things but used what i had for the time being when i move to the bigger grow room will probably get better materials.


[/IMG
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
 
Last edited:
Mate, you look like you have done a pretty decent job in there and you seem to know what you are doing.
Maybe some Epsom salts added to the medium for your DEF, won't add to overeater, will still allow to dry and will sort out DEF.
Otherwise I would just give some more may and then allow to dry out to solve DEF.
 
For $20 you can get a roll of white duct tape and possible a Mylar roll that 25' x 4' (or at least some length of Mylar). Dump that aluminum foil and install the Mylar, its much more reflective, giving your light more bang for your buck resulting in a (slightly) bigger yield. What are your max/min temps and humidity in that room? I ask because I thought CO2 is only beneficial in high temp areas. Your plants look ok, seems they are slightly deficient in something but idk what.
 
Thread starter #4
I run a heater during the day to keep the temp above 80° 80°-85° rang. I shut it off at night so the temp can drop i don't think it goes below 75°. Thanks for the response, gave me a little confidence boost. I think ill try to get the mylar and some other items this week. I am pretty happy with what i built had to have put this together for under $100 including the plants.
 
Thread starter #6
i think I'm closer to $60-$70 max on this build because i had a lot of it laying around. I think after a day or two I'm going to completely soak the soil and try to wash out the nutrients that are in there and start the nutrient over once its flushed.
 
wassup howard

i think your girl looks great . what deficiency are u suspecting ?
great looking diy!!
i know when u just start growing moneys tight but let me suggest u look into a ph meter and a ppm meter .
u can get a combo deal on flEBAY for 20 bucks .. the ph meter will take the guess work out of the ph of your nutes u are feeding her.
u can use the ppm meter to judge your tap water to determine if u should adjust your starting water with cal mag .
if u go this route look into some 7.o calibration solution and check the accuracy of your meter once or twice a month .

here is a chart to compare your sick leaves to.:goodluck:
 
85 is supposed to be the sweet spot for c02 :)
 
good job - looks great beyond the minor deficiencies :) but who doesnt get em.....
 
Thread starter #18
wassup howard

i think your girl looks great . what deficiency are u suspecting ?
great looking diy!!
i know when u just start growing moneys tight but let me suggest u look into a ph meter and a ppm meter .
u can get a combo deal on flEBAY for 20 bucks .. the ph meter will take the guess work out of the ph of your nutes u are feeding her.
u can use the ppm meter to judge your tap water to determine if u should adjust your starting water with cal mag .
if u go this route look into some 7.o calibration solution and check the accuracy of your meter once or twice a month .

here is a chart to compare your sick leaves to.:goodluck:
You know, I've looked at that pic a hundred times. Most of them look super similar to me. Yellowing leafs with dark green veins. Maybe sulfur, nitrate, magnesium possibly potassium. i think I'm within 2-3 weeks of harvest so I don't think I'm have to much time to try and fix it. I also think sense i was using a vegetable mix miracle grow soil maybe I added to much ferts and made a complete lock out. so I flushed the big one completely and was going to start over but it is more yellow and leafs are rolling off much faster now ill get some pics of the leaf verses the beautiful flowers.
 
Thread starter #19


I don't know if anyone is familiar with the little meter. I got it at home depot for $7, three in one meter. Does PH, Light and moisture. Seems to work well for the light and moisture I'm not sure the PH. How could I test it. It says I'm sitting between 6-7. Sorry for bad quality phone died.
 
Thread starter #20
So I checked the PH today and it was 7 or just above. I ended up putting some coffee grounds in the soil, try to provide some extra nitrogen and bring the PH down. Added two good sized table spoons to each and soaked them down. Checked PH again and in was 6.4-6.5 range. So I hope they turn around I'm only three weeks into flowering. I did a little defoliation, removed all yellow and yellowing leafs.