First grow - Do I have a hermaphrodite?

So, just making sure I'm reading this right, even if the male flowers are triggered by stress you will still get hermies from the seeds? And you will still get a full bush of seeds even if you go through the hassle of keeping the male flowers limited in their numbers?

Think of it this way. All female plants have the genes to throw male flowers. Some require no stress to do it and some require tons of stress. In this case you have lots of male flowers for no apparent reason. So chances are the kids will be the same.

A strain that requires a lot of stress to throw pollen will likely have kids that require a lot of stress as well.

Think of it like the plants have differing temperaments. Some require a lot of BS to throw a hissyfit and some will throw a fit with almost no provocation.

So imagine I have a strain that never throws pollen. Not in 6 cycles of growing. One time I the timer breaks on day 25 and the light stays off for 4 days and it chucks pollen. I would keep those seeds because that plant takes a lot of stress to throw male flowers.
Alright thats what i had originally figured, but i wanted to make sure before i wasted a harvest getting seeds then waste the time growing something that's gonna give me a ton of seeds. Thank you for clarifying it for me

No just male.

Same thing I was gonna say it's just a male, that's how pollen sacks look , no biggie just hope for a female next time, and a little trick I learned when I lived in humboldt was to
Clone a branch and flip it once it roots that way you know sex, I like to do that before wasting time and nutes and energy unless you want to save pollen

If a plant herms from genetics passed on from the herm mom or dad there is a greater than 50% probability that the seed sprouted from the offspring will be hermie. Try making fem pollen with coloidal silver by spraying a female flower and collect the pollen to fertilize other flowers on the same plant. This will give you fem S1 seeds that are less likely to be full hermie.

Thanks for all the help. I stuck the plant indoors to prevent it pollinating others and am going to attempt to cut off the pollen pods a couple times a week to maximize its own yield as well.

Back
Top Bottom