First grow - DWC - Root rot

TimeTraveler

Hello Everyone!

I am a first time grower. I just bought a grow box and bought some clones.
I made some initial mistakes.
  • Used the rockwool cubes (the clones came in this) as the only growing medium
  • Overwatered the cubes. The cubes were half submerged in water.
  • Let light hit the cubes and did not cover them
  • Not correct PH balance.

So after 4 days I went to check on them.
Root ROT!

I have cleaned the system twice and cut the offending roots and even scraped away some of the putrid smelling rockwool. I now lowered the water and just have the roots (or the ones with roots) touching the water. The nutrients are correct (according to the paperwork it came with). I adjusted the Ph with Baking Soda and vinegar (I read that on another thread) I did not want to use too many chemicals.
Nothing seems to be working and I am afraid I have to junk it all.
Is there anything I can do to save my babies? Did I already do too much damage?
Help, growing friends! Help!
Oh the strains I am growing are Blue Dream and ALien OG

Re: First grow/ DWC/ Root rot

Hi!
I would love to but without sounding duh.... How do you add photos? I tried uploading them but I am confused at how to.
Thanks!

Hi Time Traveler

IMO, the only mistake you did was overwatering the cubes. There must be some air left in the rockwool. Shake the excess water off but be careful not to squeeze and squash the cube.

I always use rockwool for germinating, never cover the cubes with anything and never had any problems.

I also believe that pH is not that important in this stage because the seedling takes everything it needs from the seed itself. But it doesn't hurt to pH the cubes properly.

Without the photos is hard to say how far the damage has progressed.

All the best.

What is your ph? Are you running a sterile res or you using some sort of beneficial bacteria for the roots?

My Ph is between 5.7 and 6. I was running grow nutrients but now I am running a sterile res. It seems to have made the roots start growing and they are white and healthy looking. Well, only the Blue Dream, my ALien OG is still not rooting.

Hi Time Traveler

IMO, the only mistake you did was overwatering the cubes. There must be some air left in the rockwool. Shake the excess water off but be careful not to squeeze and squash the cube.

I always use rockwool for germinating, never cover the cubes with anything and never had any problems.

I also believe that pH is not that important in this stage because the seedling takes everything it needs from the seed itself. But it doesn't hurt to pH the cubes properly.

Without the photos is hard to say how far the damage has progressed.

All the best.

Thank you for that info. I did not germinate from seeds I bought the clones (which were already in rockwool) but I agree that I overwatered. I also think I added nutrients too soon before the roots really started popping out. I am now just trying to get them to grow some sturdy healthy roots and then I will try giving them a low dose of nutrients. Any suggestions on how to keep the water cool?

For strong roots you can use something like Great White.

When we had high res temps we wrapped our res in insulated wrap and it helped a lot.

For root rot we use hydroguard for beneficial bacteria, Orca for beneficial myco and bacteria and last hygrozyme to break down dead organic matter like dead roots and such.

Are you using hydrogen peroxide or something like that to kill the bad bacteria and keep your res sterile?

I prefer non-sterile environment.

Hydroguard is not available here, and as far as the Great White is concerned, no doubt it's a great product, but ridiculously expensive. Their Mycorrhizae must be specially genetically engeneered and gold-plated :)

A friend from the States will be sending me Hydroguard soon.

Until then, I'll be using my dirty socks for bennies. You gotta wear them for, at least, a week before you drop them into the res for it to be benefitial, though :)

BAAA HAHAHAHAHAHA! ! !

And make sure you're working up a good sweat too lol.

Great White is some expensive stuff, that's also why we don't use it.

You say you keep your frozen water bottles in a separate res outside of the tent right?
Our res temps hover between 68° to 75°, we have healthy roots so far.
But the temps can stand to be lower still. Don't have room for a second res so short of wrapping the res not sure what else we can do.

And make sure you're working up a good sweat too lol.

A reliable test is to toss your socks and if they stick to the wall you know they're ready :)

You say you keep your frozen water bottles in a separate res outside of the tent right?
Our res temps hover between 68° to 75°, we have healthy roots so far.
But the temps can stand to be lower still. Don't have room for a second res so short of wrapping the res not sure what else we can do.

I do have a second 16 liters res, yes, but I have enough space, which is a luxury many growers don't have. My temps are around 26 Centigrade (80F) during the hottest day. I'm unable to lower it more, short of getting a chiller. So far, no problems either (knock on wood).

There comes a point where there's nothing one can do. So one has to learn to live with it :)

Just an fyi ive used great white before and agree it is waaay too expensive for what it is but damn it works. I started using another product called myco gold. Its just glomus intradices, not all the others that are in GW but in tandem with hydroguard (stopped using voodoo juice for the price too!) it does what i need it to. And i think it cost me like $10 or $15 online for a good sized bag.

Sent from my LGLS990 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom