First Grow Fire OG LED 900W In Soil

I think you could do it easily man! I bet with your skills you could get 10 ounces out of that space with adequate light!

I think you could do it easily man! I bet with your skills you could get 10 ounces out of that space with adequate light!

Yeah if the light is capable of some good penetration then there's no doubt you could exceed 10 or higher. Most breeders peg nice yielding strains to about 400g per sq meter indoors. Don't see why you couldn't see similar results ;)

Yeah I think so too, with good par and coverage, 8 should be a realistic goal. 10 would be awesome. Lol
Yeah if the light is capable of some good penetration then there's no doubt you could exceed 10 or higher. Most breeders peg nice yielding strains to about 400g per sq meter indoors. Don't see why you couldn't see similar results ;)

Yeah definitely gotta have good lighting, but I'm looking at really good options right now. Was dead set on the Perfect Sun Dwarf Star. Now I'm stuck between that, and the SunPlus P4. Also considering some Quantum Boards. But more research needs to be done on my part.

With the DS(230 watt) I would use my 2 UFO leds along with it as supplemental lights. They use epistar 3 watt diodes at 55 watts each. For a total of about 340 watts.

With the P4, It's 415 watts. And I would use UFO as well. For 525.

But I think any option I go with, will give me the potential to hit my goal. Well see

Here's my take on it Kev.....You could probably hit pretty max potential with 500w, the problem I find is finding a single light fixture which can cover a 4' area end to end perfectly, cover every inch evenly....My idea of "perfect" would be 1500+ PPFD to go along with a strong spectrum on every inch......for a single unit to give you perfect coverage I think it'd need to be almost 4' long itself....which is where DIY COB has a great advantage........it isn't just about what a fixture outputs, but to penetrate properly you need to come in from above, so with DIY COB(or anything like this) it's being designed for your space ideally so you can get proper penetration from corner to corner......an can do so with keeping your w pretty low(you should be able to do it with 400-500w DIY COB)
What I dislike about stand alone COB is I personally find it limits your light spectrum, covers the whole spectrum yes, but I believe adding more blue/red is beneficial.....
Of all the units I've seen, read reviews about etc...no single one seems to stick out that would be "perfect" covering 4' end to end, I find you'd be best off with multiple smaller units or some sort of DIY where you get to position your light sources for optimal penetration....the problem with smaller units is good luck finding 250w units that will put out near 1500 PPFD.....so if you want to use something out of the box, you're basically forced to over do it if you really want real optimal coverage

Sorry for the ramble, hopefully it makes some sort of sense to you lol :Namaste:

Here's my take on it Kev.....You could probably hit pretty max potential with 500w, the problem I find is finding a single light fixture which can cover a 4' area end to end perfectly, cover every inch evenly....My idea of "perfect" would be 1500+ PPFD to go along with a strong spectrum on every inch......for a single unit to give you perfect coverage I think it'd need to be almost 4' long itself....which is where DIY COB has a great advantage........it isn't just about what a fixture outputs, but to penetrate properly you need to come in from above, so with DIY COB(or anything like this) it's being designed for your space ideally so you can get proper penetration from corner to corner......an can do so with keeping your w pretty low(you should be able to do it with 400-500w DIY COB)
What I dislike about stand alone COB is I personally find it limits your light spectrum, covers the whole spectrum yes, but I believe adding more blue/red is beneficial.....
Of all the units I've seen, read reviews about etc...no single one seems to stick out that would be "perfect" covering 4' end to end, I find you'd be best off with multiple smaller units or some sort of DIY where you get to position your light sources for optimal penetration....the problem with smaller units is good luck finding 250w units that will put out near 1500 PPFD.....so if you want to use something out of the box, you're basically forced to over do it if you really want real optimal coverage

Sorry for the ramble, hopefully it makes some sort of sense to you lol :Namaste:
Very good point, something I'm definitely taking into considerstion. The P4 unit is about 15" by 15". So that's why I say I would put either both my 300's, or both my ufo leds on either side. Same with if I got the Dwarf Star.

But those lights won't give the same par reading on the outside, as the middle lamp. So, I have some thinking to do. Really want to get a light setup, that I will be satisfied with for years to come. Thanks for stopping by GOP

Man I also saw these lights at my hydro store that looked killer. Although there more than I need. It would be sweet to see what they can do.

It's a Sun Systems fixture that has 1000 DE HPS bulb in middle, with a 315 CMH on either side of it. So 630 CMH. Sounds like a beast of a light lol

A 400 watt HPS would do a fantastic job indeed ;) Goodmorning and happy Saturday KevinL!

I'm don't know if I could ever consider "too much light" a thing unless it's burning my plants, heat's only a problem if you don't have the means to address it .
It's all about the individual themselves...light can be "wasted" sure, I'd rather over do it and "waste" light but ensure my whole grow area gets proper coverage then to under do it and not allow proper coverage over the entire space .

Those are serious lights, too much for a 2x4 tent, plus too much heat, I'm currently setting up a 1000w HPS in a 5x5 tent, what is the actual wattage of the LED you currently have? I think a 400 watt HP's would be pretty good for what you have

Yeah it looks like a bad ass fixture. But, I'm not really interested in switching to HID lights. I'm an LED fan. That 1000 w hps is gonna kill it in your 5 by 5 though.

This last grow, I had about 260 watts of LED. 2 300's. Could have had another 110 watts, but I didn't use all my lights.
A 400 watt HPS would do a fantastic job indeed ;) Goodmorning and happy Saturday KevinL!
Yes I agree, hps definitely delivers. But again, I believe LED's to be best for my situation. But I would like to have at least 400 watts of LED for next run. Just so I know I can at least match that yeild for yeild. Well hopefully, lol
I'm don't know if I could ever consider "too much light" a thing unless it's burning my plants, heat's only a problem if you don't have the means to address it .
It's all about the individual themselves...light can be "wasted" sure, I'd rather over do it and "waste" light but ensure my whole grow area gets proper coverage then to under do it and not allow proper coverage over the entire space .
Right, like I almost want too much light for my space, lol. I want just a little more than I would need. Like 60-65 watts/sqft. With full coverage. That's the plan anyways. Have till January to get it settled. Lol

Hope you guys are having a good weekend! Cheers .

Yeah it looks like a bad ass fixture. But, I'm not really interested in switching to HID lights. I'm an LED fan. That 1000 w hps is gonna kill it in your 5 by 5 though.

This last grow, I had about 260 watts of LED. 2 300's. Could have had another 110 watts, but I didn't use all my lights.

Yes I agree, hps definitely delivers. But again, I believe LED's to be best for my situation. But I would like to have at least 400 watts of LED for next run. Just so I know I can at least match that yeild for yeild. Well hopefully, lol

Right, like I almost want too much light for my space, lol. I want just a little more than I would need. Like 60-65 watts/sqft. With full coverage. That's the plan anyways. Have till January to get it settled. Lol

Hope you guys are having a good weekend! Cheers .

Plants can only take in so much light, when you have aloe of light is when people add co2 to help the plant use more of the light. Another thing to take into account when using led is bleaching, when you get into higher wattage LED's you have to keep them pretty far from the plants, doc did a journal/review for the advanced led 650W. I think a dwarf star with your 2 red UFO would kill it, in my opinion the dwarf star needs a bit more red for flowering. I will still be using mine during the warmer parts of the year to help with energy costs

Plants can only take in so much light, when you have aloe of light is when people add co2 to help the plant use more of the light. Another thing to take into account when using led is bleaching, when you get into higher wattage LED's you have to keep them pretty far from the plants, doc did a journal/review for the advanced led 650W. I think a dwarf star with your 2 red UFO would kill it, in my opinion the dwarf star needs a bit more red for flowering. I will still be using mine during the warmer parts of the year to help with energy costs

Good point, I've already looked into getting some c02 bags, to put in the tent next run. Not sure how well they work. But I'm gonna try them.

I've seen Docs thread with the Advanced LED XML650. Looks like an awesome light.

I think I will go with either the Dwarf Star, and use my mostly red UFOs as supp lights in flower. Or get the SunPlus P4. And probably still use my UFOs, lol. I just can't decide between the two. Love the DS spectrum, and American made. But I also like that the P4 has cobs on it. But it uses epistar LEDs. Ahh. I will decide one way or the other. Thanks for your input canna!

Good point, I've already looked into getting some c02 bags, to put in the tent next run. Not sure how well they work. But I'm gonna try them.

I've seen Docs thread with the Advanced LED XML650. Looks like an awesome light.

I think I will go with either the Dwarf Star, and use my mostly red UFOs as supp lights in flower. Or get the SunPlus P4. And probably still use my UFOs, lol. I just can't decide between the two. Love the DS spectrum, and American made. But I also like that the P4 has cobs on it. But it uses epistar LEDs. Ahh. I will decide one way or the other. Thanks for your input canna!

You can't go wrong with either one, I like the COBS on the P4,more output watts rated at just over 400w. draw more canopy penetration but the down side is its 6 band instead of 12 probably no IR not sure how much that matters, its a tough decision, I did a side by side with the DS and 400 HP's and both seemed equal to me the dwarf star runs around 200 watts. Tough choice...I think unless your going to spent over a grand on an led, all other options for the cheaper LED seem to produce about the same, I've tried quite a few different ones at the 2-300 watt range

Curing update and Smoke report:

14 days into the cure. Hygrometers still reading 60-62% RH. 70-73*F.

So this morning, I re weighed all the buds. Just to see if I got the same numbers. Solo cup weighs 8.7. So I subtract that from each reading.
420-magazine-mobile854669999.jpg

Jar#1- Oct. 22nd - 38.5 g
Nov. 5th - 38.4 g
420-magazine-mobile1657478517.jpg

Jar#2- Oct. 22nd - 32.9 g
Nov. 5th - 32.8 g
420-magazine-mobile1727907916.jpg

Jar#3- Oct. 22nd - 39.8 g
Nov. 5th - 39.6 g
420-magazine-mobile974974809.jpg

Jar#4- Oct. 22nd - 33.8 g
Nov. 5th - 33.9 g
420-magazine-mobile144076016.jpg

For Jar#5. The popcorn/small buds jar, I just weighed it to see how much I have smoked out of it so far. I've smoke 5.5 grams.

Jar#5- Oct. 22nd - 22.1 g
Nov. 5th - 16.6 g
Total for all 5 jars on Nov.5th - 166.8
(counting Jar#5 as 22.1)

So, that's only a 0.3 loss total from the first time I weighed everything. So I didn't even put new numbers on jars. Close enough. Really happy!

Some bud pics
420-magazine-mobile581638440.jpg
420-magazine-mobile729994911.jpg
420-magazine-mobile527200095.jpg
420-magazine-mobile476510361.jpg
420-magazine-mobile840512833.jpg
420-magazine-mobile459283619.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1559512390.jpg
420-magazine-mobile301629413.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1392085414.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1503912842.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1449136567.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2090017674.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1325900383.jpg
420-magazine-mobile795805775.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2091445619.jpg

Smoke report: It's crazy how much the buds can change in 2 weeks. It has a much more pungent smell, and taste. The buds have a piney smell, with some fruity notes. It also has somewhat of a skunky smell, mixed with gasoline. mmm lol. I smoke mostly out of glass pieces. Favorite and most used, being my bong. Although I do like the occasional joint, I feel it takes away from the taste. The taste is kinda hard to pinpoint, but it definitely is a little fruity.

The high is bliss, perfect blend of Sativa and Indica. It is super stoney, but doesn't put you to sleep. It's uplifting, yet numbing. It doesn't make your thoughts race, it's calming and relaxing. Yet it is very strong and euphoric at the same time. Lol it's hard to explain. It's a great smoke for the day, as you get really stoned but still have energy. But it can also be a good smoke for after a long day. It's perfect for me. And as it happens, the guys from Cannarado emailed me, they finished testing the strains potency. It was a brand new cross I guess they didn't have it before.
THC- 21.6% CBD- .08

Wow Kevin! All around great work and awesome journaling!

Your clearly a natural at this! Your buds look heavenly and I'm thrilled to hear they turned out exactly like you wanted them! That sounds like an idyllic high for sure! Your numbers came out great n everything looks perfect from here.

I gotta say good job man! If we were close I'd be taking you out for a beer to celebrate! You bring the smoke .

Congrats man, precision all around and an amazing harvest! Really looking forward to your next journal, reading up on all your scheming and plotting is getting me really excited for your next run!

Cheers to a job well done man! You rock!. . . .

Wow Kevin! All around great work and awesome journaling!

Your clearly a natural at this! Your buds look heavenly and I'm thrilled to hear they turned out exactly like you wanted them! That sounds like an idyllic high for sure! Your numbers came out great n everything looks perfect from here.

I gotta say good job man! If we were close I'd be taking you out for a beer to celebrate! You bring the smoke .

Congrats man, precision all around and an amazing harvest! Really looking forward to your next journal, reading up on all your scheming and plotting is getting me really excited for your next run!

Cheers to a job well done man! You rock!. . . .

Thank you so much Big! I really appreciate it! Yeah I'm really happy with everything. The yeild, and the quality. I've learned so much this round. And ready to apply it next round, and with a better setup I believe I can beat my results from this grow. . so excited to get it underway! Thanks again man, ready to see you kill it now. . .

Gorgeous looking Kev, can always see the difference between those who take the time and care vs those who don't, results don't like...:Namaste:

Yeah I really tried to do my research, and take the time to do it the right way. I've developed such a passion for growing cannabis, after this first grow. It's something I'm going to be doing for a long time. Which is why I want to make sure my next setup, is something I'm completely satisfied with. So it can last, and grow me some good buds for years to come.

Obviously at some point in the future. I will need to upgrade again. I think at that point I'll bump it up to a 4x4 or 5x5. Until then, 2x4 can supply me with plenty of potent buds lol

You are also one of the ones doing it right on your first grow, and your results are speaking for themselves! Amazing job man, I'll be waiting for your awesome harvest. .

You got a wicked yield man, can't wait to see you keep killing it, shit you could charge admission to your grow journal in my opinion XD mad props man, stoked for the next installment . . .

Back
Top Bottom