First grow, first real problems: any tips?

Lindsaylazuli

420 Member
i will try to get to the point while including as much info as possible

it’s my first grow, week 4 veg, topped once and LST. Everything has been good so far besides a little soil trouble in the VERY beginning that led to slight nute burn, but they recovered. I just fed for the first time a few days ago 2 tsp fox farms Grow Big in a gallon of water (didn’t feed them the whole gallon but just included that so you know how diluted it was). I knew it was time to feed because I started seeing the bottom leaves turn yellow and wilt.

plants are doing great over all, they just started preflowering this week. they haven’t stopped growing so I don’t think they’re stunted, but this morning I woke up to some of my lower fan leaves turning brown and yellowing/ curling down. Any ideas? I’m not sure if I burned the leaves or if they need something.

grow info- 2x2x4 tent, 2 photoperiod plants (seeds unknown), RH: 60s, temp: 79-82, 600 watt Mars Hydro + 100 ish watt Blurple LED. I’m using Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil & Watering with filtered tap water. There’s ventilation w a fan + carbon filter. And I’m on an 18/6 light schedule. I also am waiting on a blue lab PH pen to arrive in the mail currently, so I don’t know my PH of the water or soil yet

Attachments

• 6E82F095-63BA-47E3-861C-5F60C4E562DD.jpeg
    6E82F095-63BA-47E3-861C-5F60C4E562DD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • BF195D7A-ABE4-4468-9FC0-FFFB3F02DB70.jpeg
    BF195D7A-ABE4-4468-9FC0-FFFB3F02DB70.jpeg
    675.5 KB · Views: 85
  • CD82D006-F76B-4770-AB1B-85FA9B340E73.jpeg
    CD82D006-F76B-4770-AB1B-85FA9B340E73.jpeg
    666.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 0DA8EEA6-93E8-4C82-8EB3-FA33D674A3A2.jpeg
    0DA8EEA6-93E8-4C82-8EB3-FA33D674A3A2.jpeg
    589.1 KB · Views: 81
You're ph is probably off causing to much of one thing and not enough of another. Also might need to bump up the ppms on your feed the new growth on the last pic is looking alittle light. But figure out the ph as soon as you can.

You're ph is probably off causing to much of one thing and not enough of another. Also might need to bump up the ppms on your feed the new growth on the last pic is looking alittle light. But figure out the ph as soon as you can.
Got a cheap ph water tester today and my PH Of the runoff water is definitely way too high, how do you recommend fixing the problem? Just watering with PHed water? will they ever recover?

Plants looked much worse this morning btw

Got a cheap ph water tester today and my PH Of the runoff water is definitely way too high, how do you recommend fixing the problem? Just watering with PHed water? will they ever recover?

Plants looked much worse this morning btw
If you are going in soil all you need to do is know the pH of the water being used. Measure the pH of the tap water.

Measuring the pH of the water that comes through the bottom of pot only tells you what the pH is of that water, not the soil. Keep pouring more water onto the soil and after about 3 gallons measure the pH of the last little bit of water that comes through and the number should have changed noticeably.

If you were going in a hydroponic soil-less mix then the pH of the water coming through the pot provides more info that would be needed for a successful grow. But, since you are growing in Fox Farm Ocean Forest the soil pH will take care of itself unless you added something to the soil to throw it off.

If you are lucky the pH of your tap water is close enough to 6.3 and you will not have to worry about that part. After that people can help you solve the problem of those spots on the lower leaves which, most likely, are a cal/mag deficiency based on shape, location on the plant and the coloring.

Good luck.

Are you sure you’re not accidentally hitting the leafs with your feeding?
FFOF is buffered at 6.5 out of the bag.
Measuring runoff in soil tells you nothing of importance. You have to run slurry tests to get an accurate pH of the soil.
Are you following the schedule, or the back of the bottle? You need to start feeding 1/4-1/2 recommended dose, and slowly work up to full strength. Don’t premix and store a bunch at a time. You’ll just have to re-pH a degrading solution each time. Go in at 6.3 after mix each time.

Here’s the schedule.
94BE73CB-7BEC-451F-A9CF-02F232FEB7B1.jpeg

If you are going in soil all you need to do is know the pH of the water being used. Measure the pH of the tap water.

Measuring the pH of the water that comes through the bottom of pot only tells you what the pH is of that water, not the soil. Keep pouring more water onto the soil and after about 3 gallons measure the pH of the last little bit of water that comes through and the number should have changed noticeably.

If you were going in a hydroponic soil-less mix then the pH of the water coming through the pot provides more info that would be needed for a successful grow. But, since you are growing in Fox Farm Ocean Forest the soil pH will take care of itself unless you added something to the soil to throw it off.

If you are lucky the pH of your tap water is close enough to 6.3 and you will not have to worry about that part. After that people can help you solve the problem of those spots on the lower leaves which, most likely, are a cal/mag deficiency based on shape, location on the plant and the coloring.

Good luck.
Hey thank so much everyone for all the input, I actually forgot I posted on here!! haha. I ended up buying a cheap PH tester from the store and my tap water PH is WAY too high, 7.8
I have some PH down to fix that. I will also start feeding according to the schedule! I appreciate all the input!!! I love how resourceful this community is

the plants HAVE gotten worse since posting this but I think once I get my PH balanced out and feeding on track they will recover .

Back
Top Bottom