First Grow from the Frigid N.E.

DreaminOfBuds

Hello everyone,

I want to give a special kudos:adore: to McBudz for getting me back on track, I will dedicate the first hit of the first bowl of the first bud to you.
First I would like to start off with this is my first grow and we are 55 days into the grow with 13 days of flowering. My Journal started in the FAQ's, newbie mistake, and I'm moving it to this area now.
I started off with eight plants, 2 of each; Northern Lights, Bubble Gum, Big Bud and Crystal. Both BG and Crystal were males and one of BB is a male, one of each have been moved to a different area for pollen collecting, all males are out of grow tent. I will pollinate one each of the lower branches of the smaller NL1 with the three different pollens collected so I can have some seeds encase disaster strikes. The 2 Northern Lights are confirmed females and still waiting for the last BB to show.
Now back to the beginning,
Here are the specs;
600wt MH/HPS digital and conversion light, vented and timer for 12/12 light cycle
4x4x7 grow tent
fan for strong stalks and branches and a heater on a temperature switch set for 80 days and 65 night temps.
Miracle Grow soil w/perilite added, next grow will be Fox Farms soil.
Started in 5.5in pots and transplanted to 3gal pots.
Milwaukee PS51 digital ph tester, thanks McBudz, a very nice tester and easy to use and cheap and fixed my problem, I bet it just paid for it's self.
Soil ph is 6.5 and watered with 6.7 water or feed solution every other watering.
Fox Farm nute trio, thanks McBudz, a big difference from what peters was doing for my grow. I'm following Fox Farms feeding guide on their web site and because of early problems, thanks McBudz for the fix, I am using it at 1/2 strength and within two weeks will be full strength.
2ft, 4 light florescent light for seed starting, cloning and initial growth.
Olivia's cloning solution, good stuff. I took five clones and all five rooted on my first attempt.
Ok now the good stuff:bong:
The following will be pics of my grow with a little history and what I'm doing.
The one Big Bud plant is not pictured because of early problems, now fixed, but still has not shown male or female yet and is only about 10in tall while being 55 days old.
Northern Lights 2;
She is my queen and she gave birth to five beautiful baby girls. She has been on 12/12 light cycle for 13 days. She is 55 days old and about 32" tall. 27 Bud sites, lateral branches, plus the "COLA" and growing daily. Lower 9 branches staked for maximum light, plant shape and support for when needed. The big fan leaves are tucked down and inside as they grow to allow maximum light to reach each bud site but not cut off so she can use the sugars and others stored in them when needed. I tell you what it is a great sight to watch her make the changes to flowering and seeing the bud sites develop, mother nature is amazing and she is smelling so sweet. Since she is my prize she gets center stage, directly under the light, 600wt HPS, and the light is about 12in from her top with NO burn at all. I rotate all plants 90 degrees daily to ensure maximum light reaches everything.
On the left of pic is Big Bud and on the right is Northern Lights1 and in the center is Northern Lights2.
Northern_Lights_55_days2.jpg

Here is a pic from the top, notice the bud sites starting to develop.
Northern_Lights_Bud_Sites_1.jpg

Here is a pic of Northern Lights 1
She was an ugly duckling but now she is turning into a beautiful princess. She has been on 12/12 light cycle for 7 days. She is 55 days old and about 15in tall. She has 10 bud sites plus the COLA and growing daily now. She had severe nute and ph problems early in life but is now very healthy. I have stakes placed in her pot for proper plant shape and will tie them up at a later date. I keep the big fan leaves tucked under all growth for same reasons listed above.
Northern_Lights_55_days3.jpg

Now for the baby girls.
They are 13 days old now and were started as cuttings from NL2 using Olivia's cloning solution set at 6.5ph, a floating seed starting tray with compressed bark plugs and a humidity dome all under florescent lights, 24/0 schedule and 12in from plants, in my bedroom closet. They were planted in 5.5in pots yesterday, I will still use Olivia's as the ferts for the next week or two and then will change to Fox Farms. The light is now 4in from the plant canopy and will gradually move it closer till it is one to two inches away, 18/6 cycle.
Northern_Lights_Clones2.jpg

I hope everyone enjoys this as much as I have in putting this up here to share with you.
Any and all comments or suggestions welcome, good, bad or indifferent.
Again thanks to McBudz and all the special people on this site.
Updates to follow in about a week to ten days.

Wishing everyone a peaceful smoke,
DreaminOfBuds

Hello everyone,

It's been ten days since my last update and it's time to let everyone see whats been going on around here. We are up to 65 days on the grow with 23 days of flowering. I have a big update since the last, about 5 days ago my Big Bud decided to show sex and I'm proud to say she is a girl so now I have 3 females on this grow.
Here are a few pics to show you the progress:

My Grow room, Northern Lights1 is front right, Big Bud is front left and Northern Lights2 is main stage.

Grow_Room_65_days.jpg

Northern Lights2, she is going wild now. She is 65 days old and flowering for 23

NL2_65_Days1.jpg

Lots of buds happening

NL2_65_Days4.jpg

Nice cola starting to form

Nl2_65_Days3.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of my clones from Northern Lights2, they are 23 days old and will be transplanted to 3 gallon pots in the next day or two.

NL_Clones_23_days1.jpg

NL_Clone_23_days2.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed the update as much as me and will update again in about 7 to 10 days.

DreaminOfBuds

Hello everyone,
It's been 10 days and time for a quick update. My Big Bud and Northern Lights1 are still not performing up to par, BB is coming along and looking nice but lots of stretching and NL1 I think has root problems and is too late to replant in new soil so will let them go and hope for the best. My Northern Lights2 is doing amazing and love to look at her and talk to her, them. She is 75 days old and has been flowering for 33 days. My clones of NL2 are 33 days old and will be going into the flower room in the next week or so. I also harvested pollen from a Big bud and a Bubble Gum male plant I had and I pollinated a couple of lower buds of NL1 and Big Bud and used color coded ties for identification later.

Here are a few pic's of the ladies.

These are the clones, they are 33 days old and doing very nicely. I did top one of the plants to see what would happen, I did not want to do it wrong so did one only. My leather coat is going to smell good!!
NL_Clones_33_Days2.jpg

This is the grow room, NL1 is on the right, NL2 is center stage and Big Bud is on the left.
Grow_Room_75_Days.jpg

Here is NL2, she is 75 days and 33 days flowering
NL2_75_Days1.jpg

Here is a pic of her cola.
NL2_75_Days_Cola1.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed the up date,

DreamOfBuds

Hello fellow tokers,

It's been 10 days since the last update and wanted to let everyone see what is going on around here. The grow is 88 days old now and flowering for 46 days, I really hope she is ready within the next 10 to 20 days, I know I am. Her clones are doing very well also, they are 43 days old and I put them in the flower room 3 days ago and they are growing like weeds. In the grow room is also Northern Lights1 and Big Bud. I Pollinated them and the seed pods are coming along just fine.
Here are a few pics so you can see whats happening.

Grow room, nice and full
Grom_Room_11:13.jpg

Here are a few pics of Northern Lights1 the first is her cola.
Northern_Lights2_88_Days1.jpg

One of her buds
Northern_Lights_bud_88_days.jpg

Northern_Lights2_88_days2.jpg

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy them,

DreaminOfBuds

Hello fellow smokers and growers,
Its been 10 days and time for an update. I'm approaching harvest time for Northern Lights 2, she is 98 days old and has been flowering for 56 days, 8 weeks, her pistils are turning red and the trichomes are changing color, almost milky in color now, I'm thinking of harvesting Thanksgiving Day, that will make her 8.5 weeks of flowering. Big Bud is starting to put on a nice cola, she has been flowering now for39 days and her seed pods on selected branches are doing very well. The 5 clones are growing like weeds and are now 53 days old and flowering for 13 days.
Here are a few pics so everyone can see what is happening.
This is the grow room.
Grow_room12.jpg

This is NL2
NL2_98_days1.jpg

This is the cola of NL2 and I need some help, her leaves are turning a crispy brown, she is about 20" from the light and the temps are within reason, 85 days and 70 nights. Can someone please help with this.
NL2_Cola_98_Days1.jpg

Thanks for reading and hope you have enjoyed,

Hello fellow tokers and growers, I have an announcement to make. My Northern Lights2 has gone to cannabis heaven. She was 105 days old and flowered for 63 days(9 weeks). I took a quick sample of her yesterday and did a quick dry and wow I don't think I have ever been that high before, I can't wait for the slow dry and cure. I figure about 2 weeks drying and 2 weeks of curing should get me closer to what I'm looking for and what a great Christmas present to myself. Christmas eve the party is at my house. I now see why Northern Lights is so acclaimed and I am a believer.
Here are her final pics planted.
NL2_Trimmed.jpg

NL2_Bud.jpg

NL2_Cola.jpg

Here are a few pics after harvest.
Her cola
NL2_Cola_trimmed.jpg

Her buds
NL2_Buds.jpg

Her nugs
NL2_Nugs1.jpg

Thanks for viewing and I hope you have enjoyed as much as I have. Remember there are 5 of her clones that will continue on this journal and I will be starting a new grow soon.

Well its been a few weeks and time for an update. The 5 Northern Lights2 clone grow is now 74 days old and has been flowering for 34 days. The plants are looking very good and growing very well.
Here are a few updated pics.
Grow_room_12:14.jpg

NL2_Cola_12:14.jpg

NL2_Cola1_12:14.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read my journal.

Hello fellow tokers and growers, I have an announcement to make. My Northern Lights2 has gone to cannabis heaven. She was 105 days old and flowered for 63 days(9 weeks). I took a quick sample of her yesterday and did a quick dry and wow I don't think I have ever been that high before, I can't wait for the slow dry and cure. I figure about 2 weeks drying and 2 weeks of curing should get me closer to what I'm looking for and what a great Christmas present to myself. Christmas eve the party is at my house. I now see why Northern Lights is so acclaimed and I am a believer.
Here are her final pics planted.
NL2_Trimmed.jpg

NL2_Bud.jpg

NL2_Cola.jpg

Here are a few pics after harvest.
Her cola
NL2_Cola_trimmed.jpg

Her buds
NL2_Buds.jpg

Her nugs
NL2_Nugs1.jpg

Thanks for viewing and I hope you have enjoyed as much as I have. Remember there are 5 of her clones that will continue on this journal and I will be starting a new grow soon.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice :yummy:. Did you get a final weight on that NL? Looks like ya got a nice haul there. I also havent grown NL before, but Im definitely lookin forward to it. We have a member with an NL that placed in both Nug of the Month & Plant of the month!! I'm thinking I might run some NL along side my supernova & Purple Haze next grow
Dude, you've been quietly doing your thing! And your clones are comin along just fine too :popcorn:

:goodjob: DOB!
+rep

dro :popcorn:

Hey DroJo,
Thanks for the kind words and sorry it took so long to reply but lately I've only been here weekly because it has been lonely here.
I'm not sure what the weight was as it's personal use only but I would say about 3 oz's was the end weight. Now it's dry and has cured for about 10 days the smoke is much smoother and the high is much head stronger and longer lasting. The other night I was sitting in my chair in the bedroom and smoked a bowl. I was sitting their looking at the tv, it was turned off, and my mind started roaming, when I came back to reality i looked at the clock and an hour had passed. I would recommend Northern lights to anyone, you can not go wrong and it would be a nice addition to your wonderful strains.
The clones are coming along nicely and because of better early growing conditions them seem to be further along then their mother was. They should be ready for harvest in the next 2 to 3 weeks.
I've started the next grow but not sure whether or not to start a journal for them. I have 6 plants I started from seeds, 4 Bubble Gum and 2 Crystal, they were planted in their 5.5" pots 17 days ago and I have a Northern Lights mother waiting to give me more babies when I need them.

Thanks for the kind words and sorry it took so long to reply but lately I've only been here weekly because it has been lonely here.

Hey there found your grow. It is looking good. A belated :welcome:. I also grew in MG, different strain, didn't get near the branching you did. Repotted in FF soil and am still getting used to the nutes, FF also. Hope to learn from you. I'll be checkin in for your updates. :popcorn::peace:

Hey there found your grow. It is looking good. A belated :welcome:. I also grew in MG, different strain, didn't get near the branching you did. Repotted in FF soil and am still getting used to the nutes, FF also. Hope to learn from you. I'll be checkin in for your updates. :popcorn::peace:

Thank you BassBong, I really like the FF trio they have done me well, I also use bud candy the first 6 weeks of flowering. How have yours done since you replanted them in the FF soil?

They are surviving. I over did it on the nutes last weekend and flushed the next day. 2 are looking decent my 3rd is very tall lanky. I believe it's got to be a different strain than the other 2. I'll have updates this weekend if not sooner. :peace:

They are surviving. I over did it on the nutes last weekend and flushed the next day. 2 are looking decent my 3rd is very tall lanky. I believe it's got to be a different strain than the other 2. I'll have updates this weekend if not sooner. :peace:

Hey BassBong, I saw your grow journal today and everything looks good and your plants are doing very well for the little lighting they had at the beginning and now with that 400HPS you will really see them grow. How are your clones doing? I took 6 clones off my NL almost 3 weeks into flowering and 4 of the 6 have rooted and been planted and are doing fine, it's taken about a week longer than normal.
Not sure if you know this or not but you can go to Fox Farms web site and they have a feeding schedule there, I follow it but for the first week or two I use the nutes at about 1/2 strength.

Happy holidays

Dreamin

Thanks Happy Holidays to you and yours. My clones are har to tell whats going on. I have not seen any growth yet it has been 11 days. I pulled domes off other night for an hour or so and only one went into an immediate wilt. I am assuming that the others that didn't wilt might be starting roots. My bagseeds got 1/4 stength nutes yesterday and the ladies are looking good and will get water and nutes tonite or in morning. Thanks for your interest. Looking forawrd to sseing more of your grow.

Dreamin

Thanks Happy Holidays to you and yours. My clones are hard to tell whats going on. I have not seen any growth yet it has been 11 days. I pulled domes off other night for an hour or so and only one went into an immediate wilt. I am assuming that the others that didn't wilt might be starting roots. My bagseeds got 1/4 stength nutes yesterday and the ladies are looking good and will get water and nutes tonite or in morning. Thanks for your interest. Looking forawrd to sseing more of your grow.

Good morning BassBong,

If I read right your clones were flowering for 2 weeks so it will take longer than normal for them to root and if the stem had become woody then that might add a little time also and then it will have to revert back to veg growth. The first clone to root for me took about 18 days, that was from a plant flowering for 3 weeks. One thing you can do but be careful is to lightly pull on the cutting and if you feel resistance then you should have some rooting going on but be careful not to break any of the roots, they are very tender. Also remember that if they are green they are still alive. I take the dome off my clones daily for about 10-15 minutes just so they can get some fresh air and I will fan them with the dome and if the leaves look a little dry I mist them with water.
1/4 strength nutes are good, I see you gave your bag seed nutes yesterday and you mentioned you were going to give them nutes again today or tomorrow. I would give them water this time. I only use nutes every other watering and I usually water every 3 days.

Happy growing

I hope everyone had a safe and Merry Christmas.
It's been a couple of weeks since the last update and thought it was time to let everyone see whats up. These are my Northern Lights, they are 88 days old and have been flowering for 48 days. A few of the hairs are starting to slightly change colors and I figure in 1 to 2 weeks they will be ready for harvest.
The next grow is already in the oven, I have 4 Bubble Gum and 2 Crystal's that I started from seeds and they are 24 days old. They are on 20/4 lights right now and are in 5.5 pots. In the next few days I will take them up to their 3 gallon pots to finish in. I plan on cloning each of them and keeping the best for a mother plant.

Here is a quick pic of them, they sure are looking nice.

NL_Clone_12:28.jpg

Until the next time.
Happy New Year

Back
Top Bottom