First grow, heat issue

Ramman

420 Member
Hi all...
I decided to try growing a try so I bought myself a 3x3 tent with 600w dimmable light with air cool hood. Also have a 4" carbon filter and 4" fan and 6" fan.
I have a couple seedlings on the go in a small separate area under CFLs for now.
I put the tent together and hooked up the venting like this:
Filter >hood >6" fan > window
Also have the 4" fan as intake through the bottom.

I had the light at 600w but the temp was 85 and rising. So I turned it down to 75% (450w) and both fans going full blast and it came down to only 80F.
I'm not sure if this will work or if it's still a little too warm? Should I maybe run 2 exhaust fans like this:
Room air >hood > 6" fan> outside vent
And
Carbon filter > 4" fan > outside vent

I'd like to run the light at 600w if I can get it cooled down.

Thanks

Ramman! I feel ya. I have the same tent. I put an air conditioner in the small bedroom my tent is in. I have a 900w led light, no as hot as yours but still gets the temps up there without help. Without getting cool air in there, I cant think of anything else substantial enough to help you. I just added hydroguard to my reservoir, but I'm guessing you are using soil and not hydro.
Good luck

Yeah I'm using soil. I'm setup in a basement room so it's not too bad for ambient temperature but still not quite cool enough I guess. I don't really want to put an AC in there or its a other vent going outside which starts to look a little suspect for passer-bys.
I could try a 6" intake instead of the 4" to bring in more outside room air but I'm worried it'll be like a cyclone on my tent. Lol

If you have a 6" fan for exhaust, and a 4" fan for intake... then the 6" fan is "pulling" the 4" one (unless the 6" fan is weak) :rolleyes: . IOW, the little fan on your intake isn't helping, IMHO.

Since you have two, why not set the cool tube up on a separate run? Ducting from outside of the tent, tube, fan, more ducting to outside. Second fan on carbon filter as per usual ventilating the tent itself. Without being there to test both of them, my guess would be 6" on the light and 4" on the tent. But that's just a guess; I'm not really partial to 4" fans, but that's the size of your carbon filter's flanges, so assuming that it doesn't get bogged down by trying to move air through all the carbon it might be fine.

Yeah I'm going to give that a try in the morning. I need to pick up some more ducting then I'll run the carbon to the 4" as a tent exhaust. And I'll run ambient air through the air cooled hood to outside as well. Hopefully that will help.
I'm thinking the 6" exhaust fan is being restricted too much by the 4" carbon filter. The 6" can pull 440cfm max but the carbon filter is only rated for 278cfm max.
Now I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer...so correct me if I'm wrong...but it probably doesn't matter what size fan I put on there if the carbon filter will only allow a certain amount of flow-through.

Back
Top Bottom