First Grow - Hempy Bucket & CFL

Nine44

Hey there

Starting out here with my first grow, been self medicating for years just trying to see if I have the green thumb.

As I'm not too worried about actually making it to fruition the first time I'll be experimenting with some stress techniques to see and learn how these plants react.

Here's a little info before I post some pics

Growing in a Hempy bucket 3:1 perlite to vermiculite. Day old tap water and gh flora grow + floralicious for veg right now. Alternating feeding and plain water.

Waiting on my pH pen so no pH information as of yet, and the seedling does show some signs of struggle I think so it can't get here fast enough

Started with 1 42wCFL and now I'm up to 2. 6500k only so far.

I'm at day 16 from seed and things are looking decent. Did my first top but some may say I was a little early.

Hoping to grow in the mainline style with 8 tops but will play by ear.

My final veg set up will probably be a 200w sun blaster CFL and the two 42w for some side light.

Not even close to flowering yet but I'll be seeking some information on my set up. .. probably next post I'll outline my details for the flower lights.

Oh yes plants are in a closet with a small 6'' fan blowing on the lights with some residual air making the leaves dance a bit

Being my first grow I was surprised how these babies grow so quickly.

Now onto the good stuff

Last pic is after topping and removing all other growth, first step of 'Main-lining' or 'Fluxing' the plant. Since that pic I have filled the grow bucket to 1 inch from the top covering the growth that was removed with my perlite/vermiculite mix.

Hope to hear some comments, suggestions, solutions, or anything y'all have to say about my little experimental grow.

Re: First grow. Hempy bucket and CFL.

Very nice into. You got this grow off to a great start. I will keep a eye on your grow. I wish you the best

Re: First grow - Hempy bucket and CFL

Im in a similar spot with the plant.... im going to clean it up now...would have lost energy if i didnt come across this...looking good!
:Namaste:

DISCLAIMER. Not saying what I did is correct nor the best way to grow your plants. Heavily chopping them as I did may be undesirable.

But a day later the two tips I left have grown out about an inch or so and the plant seems to have recovered from my Edward scissor hands quite well.

Good luck with your green endeavors

Lol I hear you.... I did some research and found good info.... I think we will be ok....good luck as well.... sending good vibrations ur way

Forgot to Mention I was doing 24/0 at first but since transplant 20/4 hoping for the roots to hit the hempy res soon as I heard there's a boost in growth at that time.. and I hope 4 dark hours is enough to promote rooting yet diminish stretch.

I'll try to get a pic after the first dark since chop.

On another note no matter what I'm watering with nutes vs plain water, the run off is always 1 third of what I put in and visibly clear, even though the nutes are an amber beer colour... guess I could probably use more concentrate but at least there's no nute burn.

Been thinking of adding foliar Epsom spray as I think my leaves pray slightly... but I'll wait for a bit unless someone has an opinion... guess I should buy cheap pH strips until my pen arrives as my tap water may be the issue in itself

Looks like she took to the cut and the growth is shooting to the light

20140530_220908.jpg

Little update today as well as flower cab design idea.

Anyone with any input on the plant or flower cabinet feel free to chime in

20140531_122328.jpg
20140531_123030.jpg
Idea_note_20140531_123808_01.jpg
Idea_note_20140531_123808_02.jpg

Basics on the cabinet that may not be illustrated with my crappy sketch

1 center-top 200W sunblaster 2700k in reflector
2 46W 5600k supplement CFL
4 50W 2g11 PLL CFL in each corner, Workhorse7 mounted externally.

That should get me 492 W of CFL lighting on 1 plant, 4sq FT by probably maximum 3.5 high... hopefully around 3ft.
With an inexact version of adding up lumens, that should bring me somewhere around 30000 Lumens... 7500lm/sqft. Overkill?

400W of 2700k and 92W of 6500k brings me to around the 75/25 mark. Could also do 4 23 watt 6500K, in between each PLL.

Hoping a 4" exhaust fan can clear the tent and keep the temps down... if not I'll get something bigger.,, looking for a bit of negative pressure I guess so I will probably go bigger... And maybe next go around I can add another plant?

Thanks for watching

I figured the new growth shouldn't have to work too hard to get some light so lightly bent the fans down and lowered the CFLs a bit.

Can't wait to start forming a manifold.

Thanks for this great space to post our gardens
20140531_172227.jpg

Leaves looked quite dusty so I did a foliar spray as the lights were coming on and kept her 2 feet away from the lights for a half hour. She loved it and absorbed it all within the half hour and was ready to be within an inch of the light again.

Added a little Epsom salt to tap water for the foliar spray and I think I may try to do it twice s week or so the clean plant looks way happier.

20140531_234632.jpg

Removed the slight bondage to spray the under side of the fan leaves and it seemed the new growth has taken it's page atop the tiny canopy so I have left her unrestrained for the time being.

Thanks for the love

Really wish I would have at least tracking info on this pH pen by now, tomorrow I'm grabbing some test strips as I think I'm locking out some nutes not knowing my pH.

Growth has been fairly steady, nothing appears to be dying so thats a good sign.

I update too much, but if you look closely you can see the growth after 24 hours.

Currently raised the CFLs 1.5 inches try to promote some internodal stretch as the first node is out and open, the second node has formed and the third is starting to peak through but very close together. Hoping to be able to top these secondary growths by the end of the week, but I may be being optimistic.

Upped the floranova grow to 4mL per 4L. 1mL floralicious. Run off was a much lighter colour of the solution I poured in, Will watch for nute burn but all seems well so far.

Pics or it didn't happen

Found the problem with the leaves. Seems as if I've been feeding close to ph4 so I've adjusted to 5.5 hopefully this will cure the tip curling.

Picked up some cal mag just in case its more than just pH but I doubt it so I haven't added any until future growth shows otherwise

Will post a pic soon. When can I remove the fan leaves and rely on my two tops for light.

Thanks once more this place is filled with knowledge

I'm always here to help. And with the hempy, you want to fluctuate the ph throughout the week. 6.3 one day, 6.1 the next, and so on. Just make it bounce between the limits so all minerals get a chance to be absorbed

Back
Top Bottom