First Grow - Hi Brix Soil - Top LED - Multi-Strain - 2015

Yeah, it's strange. It's something building up where water runs off after a watering. It crumbles to a fine powder if you touch it and reminds me of calcium buildup. No idea where it's coming from unless my water is much harder than the water report says it is AND my RO filter is completely useless.

Ok, I was thinking it would evaporate. Did you see my post above about the levels in my water? Curious what is acceptable levels and what would necessitate a filter.

I did thats what made me think of it. I don't know how much if any is ok to have. I would imagine it could hurt your microbes but thats a question for the Doc :) Im curious too, since I needed a filter anyway I just got one that removed it since I knew we had it in our water so I never asked.

This is a total assumption but I am guessing if what you listed is the amount your town is adding to make the water safe it is enough to give your microbes problems. They add it to make sure stuff doesn't live in the water in the first place I think.

Yeah, it's strange. It's something building up where water runs off after a watering. It crumbles to a fine powder if you touch it and reminds me of calcium buildup. No idea where it's coming from unless my water is much harder than the water report says it is AND my RO filter is completely useless.

Is your water going through a water softener by chance? If so thats a no no especially if your RO is shot.

Nope, I have a softener but my RO unit is connected upstream so it's getting straight tap water from the city.

Well thats good and bad... Good that your not using softened water but bad because we would of had your answer if you were :rofl: I would be focusing on the white stuff and the chloramine though since everything else seems to be in order.

Edit

I just went back and checked my first plushberry journal in my sig. I was using the evap method to remove chlorine and thinking I was removing chloramine to start that grow. I was able to grow them to flip before someone told me that chloramine didn't evaporate. I didn't really have any problems with them until after I added my carbon filter. My water is hard to start with and a carbon filter increases hardness. Also I think it just added up over time. Once I added the RO to the carbon filter I didn't have anymore problems. My water comes out of lake mead so its loaded up with chlorine and chloramine so im guessing it has more to do with that white stuff. In any event with everything your doing to create a perfect clean environment I would get new filters asap. Good clean water is important :)

Hope this helps.

Sorry to see you are having issues with your water Capn):

I wish I had some input or any advice on how to maybe help your problem but this is a new one for me.. Excited to see you figure out the problem though, it will help more people than you know!

Good luck, I will be here for the long haul!

Sorry to see you are having issues with your water Capn):

I wish I had some input or any advice on how to maybe help your problem but this is a new one for me.. Excited to see you figure out the problem though, it will help more people than you know!

Good luck, I will be here for the long haul!
Thank you, Max. I'm confused about this because I use the same water (unfiltered in fact) on general house plants with no issue. I may have a sample of my tap and my RO water tested and see what is up. As Doc mentioned, the other plants are healthy so I don't understand how it could be the water.

They symptoms are somewhat similar to over-watering. I'll top it, I'll let it dry up and see if it lives and perks up to 110%. If not, it's incineration time.

Thank you, Max. I'm confused about this because I use the same water (unfiltered in fact) on general house plants with no issue. I may have a sample of my tap and my RO water tested and see what is up. As Doc mentioned, the other plants are healthy so I don't understand how it could be the water.

They symptoms are somewhat similar to over-watering. I'll top it, I'll let it dry up and see if it lives and perks up to 110%. If not, it's incineration time.

It happens! Sometimes a plant just doesn't do well. It's good practice to just yank it up and toss it, getting something else in its place.

SO the mystery continues to bother me because unless it's just a bum plant, I have an issue somewhere and this will just keep happening. Today is the third day since the last watering and found this Strawberry Cola clearly wilting and in need of water. Certainly not over-watering. Got a couple shots of the roots and I don't think there are any issue here.

SC1_00035.JPG

SC1_00034.JPG

Just going to top it and see how it reacts, upcan it only if it perks up straight away.

Do you have any other plants the same age as the bum one that are ok?

Just the one I'm calling Mystery Seed 1 that was planted about a week after the bum. Last picture was at the bottom of post 25. I may be paranoid now, but it's not looking perfect. When I came in during the dark cycle, it and the bum both were very droopy. The bum needed water, but this one can go a couple more days. The leaves just are not standing at attention and there is the slightest onset of claw tips.

I'm getting frustrated. Everything started out so well and now it seems to be going downhill again.

Yeah some issues take time to build up enough to show. I wouldn't assume just because the younger ones arn't showing signs of the problem yet that it's not a global problem. If they were all the same age it would be different. I really believe it's your water that white Shit isn't normal...

Maybe if you flush them good and then give them a fresh light drench and some destress you can turn them around. I know what it's like to have to cull plants when you don't have replacements. GL!

Nice thread Capn, Looks like your doing great.

Dont sweat losing a single plant worry about a pattern of losing plants. I dont think its worth sweating the chloramine either. The tiny amounts in tap water are easily neutralized by soil organic matter. If you like to personally deactivate chloramine you can use an aquarium product, i think vitamin c works as well.

Is this your very first grow?

Nice thread Capn, Looks like your doing great.

Dont sweat losing a single plant worry about a pattern of losing plants. I dont think its worth sweating the chloramine either. The tiny amounts in tap water are easily neutralized by soil organic matter. If you like to personally deactivate chloramine you can use an aquarium product, i think vitamin c works as well.

Is this your very first grow?
Thanks VonDankenhoek, I appreciate the encouragement!

This is my very first grow, technically. I had a couple of plants given to me during the summer that were in bad shape and I pretty much just wasted time and energy on a pair of plants that should have been culled the first day. SO I don't count that as a grow, rather it was more like hospice.

Maybe if you flush them good and then give them a fresh light drench and some destress you can turn them around. I know what it's like to have to cull plants when you don't have replacements. GL!

I did just that. Flushed everyone with distilled water, then a light Transplant+Tea to follow it and I'll DeStress later today. I'm in a culling mood and considerably medicated so there better be signs of improvement soon.

Edit: The water from the flush was very yellowish/orangish in color, like watered down beer. Anyone else get that? Curious just what would be that color.

Back
Top Bottom