First Grow - Hydro - CFL - All Was Going Well Until Now

Mep490

Hey guys. Saw some good replies on here so I figured I'd make a post.

I guess I should first tell y'all my setups.

System #1 is just a standard 7 pod aerogarden I picked up off a buddy for $5. With just a simple air stone modification to it. The reservoir holds 1gallon and the lighting I'm using is just the 2 max grow bulbs that came with it. I had read people having different results using a ag so I really didn't do too much to it because I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out (gotta start somewhere right?) but my girl did really well and actually out grew the system which brings me to my second setup...

System #2 is a homemade bubbler setup (my goal was to make a bigger version of the ag, since I now had a general idea of how it worked ) I got a 6 gallon bin from Wally World and some net pots , rock wool , air pump , and bubble stone from my local hydroponics store. Not sure exactly what they are called but I also picked up some of the rocks that you put on top and around the rock wool in the net pots (guy in the hydro store recommended them...weren't too expensive so I figured why not). I cut a hole in the top of the bin for the net pots and another small hole to run my air tubing. I have it filled with 4 gallons of water (brings it right up to the bottom of the pots. I removed the plant from the aero garden. It's got a pretty hefty trunk/root system on it, but the roots had pretty much overgrown the grow media that was included (rock wool like substance. I'll take a pic of it and post it as that's also what I'm using to start my clones/new seedling.). So I took 2 pieces of my rock wool and wrapped it around the base of the root system(I tried to get it right over top of what was left of the ag growing media) I then cut a hole in the bottom of my net pot (again MASSIVE root system...saw this way being the easiest way to transplant) and ran the roots through the hole. I started with a base layer of the rocks I got then set the cube on top. I then filled in the sides with the rocks to keep the rock wool in place and put some on top to cover the top of the cube. Finally after all that my baby was in her new home with plenty of growing room. But here's where I got even more crafty  I wanted to start to flower her out. So I made another box setup to go around my reservoir/home base. I went and bought a 20 gallon bin. I covered the 3 sides and the inside of the lid with one of those reflective windshield things. I cut a hole in the top for my main light. In the top I also cut a hole for my fan to blow in and a smaller hole to vent the stale/hot air. On one side I cut a hole for another light bulb and there is also a light in the cover. I got another bulb for the other side today and will most likely set that up tomorrow. Anyway with the reservoir placed inside of this and the cover closed I now had my second setup up and going. And since I put this one in my closet even with the few holes in it, it's still 100% dark at lights out. As for the lights for this one. These are all 2700 kelvin cfl bulbs. Overhead I have a 26 watt (90watt replacement) ?? <----not sure what that means indoor flood light. On the lid I have a 100 watt and on the side I have another 100 watt. I plan to add another 100 watt to the other side tomorrow. So those are my setups.

Now I faced my first real issue. This whole time up until now I had been using the nutrients that had came with my aero garden. But with the bigger reservoir I figured its time for some real one, so it was back to the hydroponics store I went. I picked up some fox farm grow big and big bloom and some Tiger Bloom Liquid Fertilizer. I found a feeding schedule on fox farms website and decided it'd probably be best to go by that.(I'll post a pic of that as well ). For setup #1 I'm starting on week 2 and for setup #2 I started at week 6 I believe. (Week 2 of flowering). Flushed out both systems. Setup 2 I did Thursday..but I used tap water (maybe my first mistake as to what is starting to go wrong? Setup 1 I did today and was able to make it to the store for some spring water, so I used a gallon of that.

Now as for the bad....(I'm talking about my second setup here)
Yesterday afternoon (about 24 hours after the nute/water change I peeked my head in for a look and was concerned at what i saw. All of the lower leaves were drooped over pretty much touching the stem. Some even wilted completely and were laying on the reservoir lid. My first thought was that the lower leaves we're not getting enough light now, which is why I'm adding the side lighting. I called up my buddy and he said me using regular tap water could have something to do with it too.?? I checked the ph. It looked to be about 6-6.5 (using cheep paper test strips atm) I looked at the feeding schedule again to make sure I didn't put too much of anything in. I'm not sure what's going wrong. I closed up my air escape hole about half way for a hour or so to make it a little more humid in the box (guy at hydro shop suggested this) but I didn't wanna make it too hot in the box. I had also thought maybe the move to the new setup shocked my girl a little bit. Not sure if that's possible or not. But it's been 3 days since her move (she was in there and looking fine for 2 days prior to the nute change) so just to be clear it was 24 hours after the nute change when I noticed the droopyness . I also put a tiny bit of ph up in my water (bout half of what it calls for) to see if by the morning at lights on I can get a more solid 6.5 reading.

Any advice on what cold be going wrong would be greatly appreciated. Also any feedback about my setups would be awesome too. I tried to put as many details as I could in my post to answer any questions / give you a good idea what I'm working with. I tried to include things I saw other users asking people on other posts. As I said this is also my first grow (all started just messing with the aero garden, now I'm hooked! And I'm sure I still have plenty to learn. I'm just so startled how everything was going great then bam! Hopefully it's just something simple and she makes a simple recovery.

Thanks for reading my ramble
Happy growing to all

**note**

Ok so I can't figure out how to upload pics while posting on my iPad. I have almost lost this post 3 times now (thank god for this auto save ) so help with that wold be great too so I can show my setups ect.

Thanks guys.

Re: First grow and first hydro grow(cfl light grow). All was going well until now...

Finally got it.

I'll take more and post em tomorrow.

Setup #1
Currently has 1 New seedling and 3 clones from my big girl in it.
image6822.jpg

Setup #2 before the side lights
image6821.jpg

image6820.jpg

And this is what she looked like in the AG prior to being moved
image6823.jpg

Re: First grow and first hydro grow(cfl light grow). All was going well until now...

Ok here's a update along with the rest of my pics. The ph of both my setups was a tad high this morning (around 7) and my seedling has also gotten some spots overnight...what's going on with these girls?!?! You can see it in the picture. You can also see the droopyness of plant #2. I also took a pic of some leaves that pretty much fell of when I touched them.

image6845.jpg
image6844.jpg
image6843.jpg
image6842.jpg
image6841.jpg
image6840.jpg
image6839.jpg
image6838.jpg
image6837.jpg

I guess nobody likes my set up...lol. But I'm gonna keep posting. :high-five:
So I checked both my setups today. Setup 1 the clones are looking great! The seedling however...not so much. It's got some spots on the leaf. Any ideas as to what's causing this??
image6845.jpg
image6882.jpg
image6822.jpg

I was happy to see that my most recent clone has some new roots showing as well today. Ph was right around 6.3. I also got a timer and am now on 18/6

Now for my big girl.

She's still looking mighty sad...checked the ph and it was a little high this morning. (7.1) so I added some ph down and will recheck before lights out. I added some more lights to see if maybe that was the problem. But do you guys think I added too many??
image6880.jpg
image6883.jpg
image6884.jpg

As you can see I got some burnt leaf tips now... Is this from the lights? I also took a peek under the hood today. Since the transplant I hadn't saw any new roots coming out of the pot ...which had me a little concerned. But low and behold she's still growing. Now if I could just get her to perk back up.

Wow they are looking good. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much.

I had a similar problem but I was using soil, the final diagnose was not enough air.

Hope somebody can help! Take care.

Thanks for the response. I did think about that too and am in the process of adding more circulation. I also thought that maybe I hit her with too much nutes at once. I mean I did go from a little 8ml packet in a gallon aerogarden to full strength fox farm o_O

Fingers still crossed she's gonna bounce back

Here's a small update.
After retracing my steps and talking with some friends /surfing the forums I'm 80% positive my baby has nitrogen burn. I'm currently flushing my system and will re add nutes in a day or so. A few questions

Should I go right to full strength again? Or should I gradually increase over a few days?
Also I read that using some 6500 k bulbs during flowering won't hurt the plant and might actually help her heal?? Anyone care to shed some light on this for me ?

Until next time

Just keep swimming :)

More leaves I pulled to take a pic.
image6923.jpg

Still drooping

image6922.jpg

Also how do I get my pics to upload right side up. When I select them they are all the right way but then after the upload they end up sideways somehow. :cheer:

I had a similar problem with my MacBook, I am not sure if this happens in windows also. The point is, despite you seeing the pictures straight before uplading them they are not. What I usually do is open them using preview, rotate (till I see them straigh again) and save the picture again. This is far from ideal but it works for me.

Thanks!

Update timeeeeeee!!!!!!
So 48 hours after her flush with fresh spring water my mama is starting to perk back up! ��. The color is coming back in here leaves and I hadn't seen the usual new addition of dead discolored leaves on my morning checks. But I have noticed that the stems going to some of her leaves are turning purplish red. I read that this could be due to a nute lockout...but she's been being flushed for almost 3 days now. Any ideas. Also I redid my cfl setup. On top I now have 6 of my warm cfls to promote budding and then I did stick my cool white flood on the front. Mixed spectrum good or bad during flowering?!
image7004.jpg
image7005.jpg
image6922.jpg

The other pic is my new grow cabinet I'm working on. Gotta get em outta the aero before the land lord comes over to fix some shit. :).

Until next time y'all

Can you tell us something else about the new cabinet, I guess it will be bigger, 2 plants maybe...

Regarding spectrum... I will have to do some research. I always read, white for veg, warm for flowering but I never read something about mixing it up.

By the way... I think Dresney is using mix spectrum for vegging and flowering. I think I remember reading that warm light is good for root development which is something that we want during the early development of the plant.

I am using some kind of mix spectrum, LED (mixed), two 40watt white cfls and one 23watt warm cfl. To be honest Im happy with the results so far but I cant compare.

Stay high,

Hey guys!! Hope your still here following my grow. Sorry for the lack of updates but I'll do my best to fill it all in and upload many pice :):)

Grow número uno (clones/headie bag seed) :

The babies are all outta the aero and into the new dresser box. All are showing signed of good roots and are all showing through net pots.
Pic 1 is the roots. (Big root mass is the plant that's tied down)
Pic 2-3-4 are the clones (not sure what's going on with the 2 on the right )
(Bag seed above biggest clone)
image7233.jpg
image7222.jpg
image7226.jpg
image7225.jpg

In that last pic idk if you can see but I may have pulled a tad too hard and they snapped apart...what should I do about this? Just let it do it's thing? Trim that part off??

Here's some pics of the box I was talking about...I'm changing it and adding to it everyday to improve it. Again any feedback is more then welcome . There's a pic of my cfl fixture for this box too...3 bulbs of each side of the spectrum.

image7232.jpg
image7231.jpg

Now grow #2. My big bag seed girl.

She's made a full recovery from her droopyness. I'm still not exactly sure what happened. She's got lots of bud sites coming in and I'm very pleased with how she's looking...no complaints as of right now. The first two pics are of her from above and of her main branch system.

image7227.jpg
image7229.jpg
image7228.jpg

Well I think that's it for now. Hope y'all enjoyed the update. I'll try to get back to every day/every other day.

Till next time

Peaceeeeeee :peace:

Back
Top Bottom