First Grow - Hydro - Indoor - LED - Hempy Coco

MilesTeg

Thanks for viewing my Journal. I am Miles Teg and this is my first grow in over 20 years and wow has a lot changed. I am looking for advice on how to optimize my grow and get the best results possible. Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

A bit about my set up:
6ft by 5.5ft room with 7ft ceiling, ventilated and lined with mylar.
IMAG16852.jpg

Galaxyhydro "1800" watt COB LED grow lamp. Actual watt usage is 960 with 3 settings: 45% on, 55% on and 100% on. This light was recommended to me by a buddy who has a smaller version and has had GREAT success. I purchased it from Amazon.

Phresh 6x24 Activated carbon air filter.
IMAG16861.jpg

Can Inline fan model 600-S.

Hygrometer Thermometer combo, Ph Meter and TDS meter

5 gallon hempy buckets: chunky vermiculite in reservoir and pure Coco Coir as medium
9 Plants total: 6 White Widow, 1 Northern Light, 2 Dream Machine

Oscillating fan

Full Canna Coco Nutrients Line:
Canna Start
Rhizotonic
Cannazyme
Canna Coco A
Canna Coco B
Canna Boost
Canna PK 1314

I am currently running the Start, Rhizo and Cannazyme and will move to A+B in a week. Boost and PK will wait till the flip.
IMAG16821.jpg

I am on a well with a water softener in use. I know that the ion exchange is no bueno for the ladies so I have been using distilled h2o for the beginning. I have 2 options...use the mineral rich water (magnesium, calcium and iron which is soluble and particulate) or buy a small RO unit just for the girls. Input would be helpful.

This is currently day 9 and things are going ok, but 3 of the ladies have small brown spots that look like burns and one of them has a single leaf that is curled. I will post pics below. I suspect maybe their water is a tad hot, so I will tone down the nutes for 2 days and see what happens.
IMAG1720_1_.jpg
IMAG17203.jpg
IMAG17182.jpg

So, a second plant has curled leaves now as well. Both are the White Widow. Temp is 82, rh is 48. This is day 11. I have not given nutes since the evening of the 9th day, so I don't think it is a nutrient burn. Anyone with experience please chime in. I am not sure if this is the right forum to get help, so if I don't hear anything today I will try a different avenue for expertise.

Ok, I've read through your post again. First what is the ppm of your water prior to any nutrients being used?
Also you have gone with some of the best nutrients out there as far as I'm concerned! I only use Canna nutrients as well. Let me know what your ppm is though first and then lets go from there. I'll be waiting on you, I'll check back later today, take care.

The hardness is 8 grains or 137 ppm. I have not used this water though. I've only used distilled (0 ppm) and softened water (0ppm). The softened water is ever so slightly salty, but you cannot taste it, only measure it with conductivity. This isn't bad for the plants in small quantities but will form a nutrient block if salt buildup occurs. I don't think it's a water quality issue, but I'm a rookie.

Ok, so I think I may have solved my problem. I bought a different thermometer. It tracks temps over a 24 hour period, and I am seeing some temp spikes up to 86 degrees. I made a make shift hillbilly air conditioner out of a 5 gallon bucket, a fan and a frozen milk jug. It blows 41 degrees and dropped the temp in the room to 78 degrees. Each ice block only lasts 5 hours, so this is not a permanent solution but it grants me some time to really figure it out. It's been 3 hours since the temp dropped so the leaves have not uncurled yet, so keep your fingers crossed.

Update.

Day 17. Temperature continues to be a factor that needs my constant attention, but I have been keeping the room to 78 degrees or so using improvised materials. I bit the bullet and ordered an evaporative air cooler today for 150 bucks and that should do the trick. I moved the plants from their quart containers into their permanent home, 5 gallon hempy buckets. I also gave them their first topping. I have to give a shout out to Canna Coco products. I originally germinated 10 seeds. One of them I ruined with my big monkey paws by snapping it in half...clean in half as a seedling. I stuck the stem in the rockwool and watered as usual with Canna Start, Rhizotonic, and Cannazyme and lo and behold it roots and is doing really well. I looks like it is about 1 week or two behind her sisters, but I am amazed it came back at all. I am trying to get a photo posted, but may have to post it in the next comment.

Ok, so its been a few days since last update. I need help. 4 of my plants (3 ww +1dream machine) are not doing well. They are undersized and the bottom leaves are yellowing and drying out and falling off. I suspect it may be a nutrient lock out, but i dont know enough to know for sure. This is what I know:

Water from my well is 6.46 ph and 70 ppm. Calcium and Magnesium are present in salt form and heavy iron both dissolved and particulate

Water after Nutrients are added is 6.77 ph and 511 ppm using Canna Coco A+B, Rhizotonic and Cannazyme. This is 1/2 strength as per manufacturers instructions.

Water in hempy reservoir after one day measures 7.27 ph and 361 ppm.

I will post a few pics of the sick plants and their healthy counterparts for reference. Need Help ASAP!!
IMAG17413.jpg
IMAG17422.jpg
IMAG17433.jpg
IMAG17443.jpg
IMAG17492.jpg
IMAG17502.jpg
IMAG17514.jpg
IMAG17463.jpg
IMAG17521.jpg

I forgot to mention that I purchased a RO water filter and it will be here in a few days. In the meantime I stocked up on distilled water and have since flushed 2 of the sick plants till I got clear water.

Agreed with VG. Running Hempys you might want to start even lower like 5.4, it will probably drift up. I have adjusted after nutes but I have never run Canna so I can't say how they work as far as buffers.

How often do you top off?

Grim and Vertical,

Thanks for the replys. Sorry for the elapse in time, but time has gotten short on me. I have a pregnant wife and a hell of a work load so I have not been able to get to the forum until now. I think you both hit the nail on the head. I have lowered the ph on my h2o significantly and given 2 feedings since my distress post and things are looking much better for the stunted and discolored plants. I feed about every 3 days or so, but if the reservoir is empty earlier, I feed earlier. My RO filter is here, but not up and running yet because I cant quite figure it out, but in the meantime they are getting distilled water with 0ppm. I will post some updated photos tonight when I get a bit more time and let you guys see the difference. Thank you both for the awesome imput.

Miles

Grim and Vertical,

Thanks for the replys. Sorry for the elapse in time, but time has gotten short on me. I have a pregnant wife and a hell of a work load so I have not been able to get to the forum until now. I think you both hit the nail on the head. I have lowered the ph on my h2o significantly and given 2 feedings since my distress post and things are looking much better for the stunted and discolored plants. I feed about every 3 days or so, but if the reservoir is empty earlier, I feed earlier. My RO filter is here, but not up and running yet because I cant quite figure it out, but in the meantime they are getting distilled water with 0ppm. I will post some updated photos tonight when I get a bit more time and let you guys see the difference. Thank you both for the awesome imput.

Miles

Ok, glad you got your pH under control, that seemed to be your major issue.
Now if you are running hempys every 3 days is too long. Hempy is a form of Hydro and as such should be watered daily, some water twice per day, I have in the past.
You are treating them like soil and that is the kind of grow you will get, not the benefits of the Hempy. Give them enough water/nutes daily to get 1/3 of the amount as rinsate, pH to 6.8, don't worry about the rinsate pH, just make sure you get the runoff.
Good luck,
GR

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom