First Grow In 15yrs, First DWC, Crown Royale

Boogs

Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. Forgive me if I'm doing anything wrong. Apparently I'm not allowed to post in the grow journal section?

A bit of a backstory: I used to grow plenty back in the day, but haven't grown in nearly 15 years or so, and my have things changed!

I suffer from spinal stenosis, sciatica and RA, and all the pills the doctors would give me would stop working after a few weeks, and I mentioned I have been using cannabis for nearly 20 years and that it works for me and my lifestyle. Zip boom bang, here we are. Usually stick to heavy indicas, and sativa every now and then, but indicas have always been my style.

I've never tried any form of hydroponic growing, so I decided this time around I was going to give it a shot. I got the tent, a bunch of buckets, watched a few videos and got it all set up working just fine. I believe the term for what I am doing is called 'RDWC', in that it's deep water culture but I also have a small pump that feeds from my control bucket out to the 4 other buckets, thus recirculating the water/nutes. Totally correct me if I'm wrong. I actually only kept the feeding tube near the plant while they were young, but as they got older I just pulled the tube out slightly so the water just drips into the buckets.

I've also never grown with LEDs, so I'm giving that a shot as well. Budget is of course a major issue, so I found a light that fit the budget, but still pulls a decent amount of wattage from the wall. I figure, as budget allows in the future, I can always toss more light in :)

Currently, I am one week in to flowering, and the plants vegged for 8 weeks. I should have started this when i popped the seeds, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to share, to be honest.

Anywho, here's the specs:
Crown Royale seeds, CKS
4x4x7 tent
BESTVA 2000w full spectrum LED (pulls about 395 from the wall a little after the initial turn on)
Advance Nutrients Grow, Micro, Bloom and Big Bud
RDWC, 4x 5 gallon buckets + 1x 5 gallon control bucket
commercial air pump
small sub pump
6in fan on the ground, 16in oscillating fan above

I also set up an old phone as a web cam, added it to my security camera dealie (all just raspberry pi's, nothing fancy) and set it up to take timelapse stuff. should be neat to stitch it all together at the end!

Because I'm starting this a little late, I'll catch you up on a few things:

- all 5 seeds germinated perfectly using the cup of water + paper towel method

- 4 of the 5 plants were keepers, one never made it past 5 inches tall, not sure what happened, but i made the decision to cull her

- 2 plants were really strong starters and grew nice and bushy, while the other 2 were slow starters until about week 6 of veg, when they took off straight to the moon. i mean, the 2 that WERE really the shining stars of the tent now look like runts compared to the 2 that used to be the runts!

- I tend to keep the light 24-30in away from the canopy

- I took clones, however none of them rooted. I was trying a new method, but that's OK, as I have some Bubba Kush seeds on the way (also CKS) and a few other strains from other seedbanks as well. I find that if I use the same strain for too long, it ends up taking twice as much to do the same job, so I try to change it up.

- I was going to build a proper scrog but I have super bad back problems, so I honestly can't be bothered, so I just grabbed some netting, which actually worked out for the better, as I was able to adjust the height for the 2 smaller girls.

- I have a second 2x2x3 tent that is rigged up with a similar RDWC (2gal buckets) and using just some white LEDs and a full spectrum (about 100w from the wall in total, really nothing major). This will be for vegging while I flower.

- My water stays pretty cool, but I also rotate frozen water bottles in there. Just once a day is enough

- The plants have been pretty straight forward to work with, although I am getting off and on pH burn, although, to be honest, I haven't been paying much attention to the pH, because the AN lineup does a great job of balancing it at 6.5.

- I top a lot, and I tend to defoliate often, just a little here and there, and I add all my leaves to my morning smoothies :)

The two larger plants are sitting at about 16in tall, and the two smaller ones are about 12in tall. All of them are nice and bushy!

Here's some pics
420-magazine-mobile479215370.jpg

420-magazine-mobile749942649.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1070156493.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2009063840.jpg

I love the fan leaves on this strain, really nice and wide indica style
420-magazine-mobile994316042.jpg

Looks like they are really taking off! I flipped them to 12/12 10 days ago, and I THINK I am starting to see some pistils.

Canopy seems to be coming along nicely as well! Hopefully the yeild will be pretty decent :)

I also decided to disassemble my fan to make space for the plants. By removing the feet and half the body (all just screws apart), I was able to rig it to the side of the tent using zip ties and some of that awesome reflective tape :) doesn't look pretty, but it works!

Part of me is tempted to add an additional light, but I also want to see what this light can do for me, and if it's up to snuff, leave it be, if not then I'll probably just toss another of the same one in there for a total of 800w from the wall and 4000 "watts" of LED brightnessitude.

420-magazine-mobile1659111391.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2121416233.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1479639062.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1223369574.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1114062715.jpg

Oh ya, and I received my Bubba Kush seeds from CKS yesterday, and have them in some water. I'll be putting them in paper towel later today, and once they pop, I can toss them in the 2x2 :)
420-magazine-mobile640229329.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1080989377.jpg

What's super cool about the lids of those buckets is that they have holes all the way around them, like they were MADE for LST hahaha

I'm also debating grabbing a mars hydro 300 for the 2x2. Currently I am using white LEDs and a small full spectrum panel, totalling about 100w from the wall...

The debate lies mostly in how big the tent is, as it's only 3ft tall, and I don't necessarily WANT the plants to get too big too fast, as as soon as the previous crop is harvested and dried, and the tent is cleaned out, these are going in to flower and will be replaced with clones or more seedlings.

I figure under these lights they should do well enough to grow just big enough where the end result yeild should be enough to make it through until the next harvest in the perpetual setup.

I dunno, what do you all think?

Hey Boogs, welcome to the 420 family! I don't have any experience with Mars Hydro but I know they are a site sponsor. They may offer some sort of a discount for 420 members but I'm not sure. The world of LED's can be a confusing place. At least you know to check the actual watts. I have a 4x4 and started with 1 600 watt viparspectra. Added another a few weeks later. After about a year I've been learning more about LED's, PAR values, and watts used. It can be tough to find good information. If budget was not an issue I would look at the Perfect Sun LED's. Even if budget is an issue you can still look, doesn't hurt to dream lol. They offer up some good information and you an compare the very best to all the others.

I have been using a knockoff 300 watt LED (130 actual) to grow small plants in a box that is about 18Lx16Wx36T (inches). I have grown autos and clones in there with no problem. The autos ended up about 4 or 5 inches of the light but they were okay. I didn't get a weight from any of the small box grows. Most of the time I use that for making fem seeds, not growing actual big buds. I am interested to see if that one light you have can do the trick. Happy Growing!

:passitleft:

Thanks! Me too! It does pull about 400 from the wall, so I have hopes that the yeild will be ok at least. I may end up going with a mars 300 for the veg tent, or possibly get a 2 pack of them and toss one in the flower room just to boost it a bit :)

I went ahead and ordered 2 mars 300's, one for the veg tent and the other to just boost the flower tent a little more. A 2 pack was on sale for just shy of $200CAD shipped, figured I might as well :)

The ladies got a haircut today

420-magazine-mobile298131670.jpg
420-magazine-mobile513224310.jpg
420-magazine-mobile359106496.jpg
420-magazine-mobile848090859.jpg

Also going to try moving the carbon filter to outside of the tent and blow air out of it, hopefully that will help with humidity when the tent is closed.

Well, I guess it's a good thing I took out the carbon filter. Was wondering why airflow out of the fan was crummy, the thing wasn't even connected properly hahaha anywho, I took it out, ran the ducting to the top of the tent and put the filter on it there. Tuns on air pumping out now, so I think it should be ok, just doing a quick test to see how high it gets in there when it's all zipped up

Humidity is still high when it's closed up. I have a little dehumidifier in there, helping a bit, the highest it's gone is 69% which I'm not ok with.

I'm going to build a diy dehumidifier tomorrow and see if that helps. Luckily they aren't very stinky yet, so I just leave the doors open a crack.

In other news, all 4 of my Bubba Kush seeds sprouted, so I'm getting some rockwool ready for planting :)

420-magazine-mobile892524691.jpg

420-magazine-mobile980031210.jpg
420-magazine-mobile872203246.jpg

Stupid me forgot to black out the little light on that dehumidifier I put in the tent. Checked on them this morning in the dark cycle and sure enough, a small green light was on for 4 hours of the dark cycle. D'oh! Gotta take care of that, hopefully it didn't have too much of an effect!

Stupid me forgot to black out the little light on that dehumidifier I put in the tent. Checked on them this morning in the dark cycle and sure enough, a small green light was on for 4 hours of the dark cycle. D'oh! Gotta take care of that, hopefully it didn't have too much of an effect!

I'm guilty of the same! No adverse affects when I did it, you should be alright.

:passitleft:

I actually just covered my power strip light the other day. It was pretty bright but my photo still flowered with no problem. But like you said, glad I noticed it when I did. I bought a Gorilla tent so I wouldn't have light leaks and here I am putting little lights all over the inside of the tent :laughtwo:

I made sure to cover my power bar, and the humidifier (when I needed it), but sometimes it's the little things we miss here n there hahaha oh well, as long as nothing really got effected by it, alllll good!

Definitely seeing plenty of white pistils :)
420-magazine-mobile2063941944.jpg

I cobbled together a diy dehumidifier using a couple of small totes and some ice melting salt. Pretty easy, just drill a hole in the bottom of one, cover it with some mesh (I used some cheesecloth), put it inside another tub (to catch the water) and fill it with the salt.

Apparently it takes a while for it to start working, but it should help.

Any other tips on getting humidity lower? Thankfully I can still keep the tent doors open for now, but I won't be able to soon enough!
420-magazine-mobile680861829.jpg

Jeez Louise. I'm such a stoner. I forgot I had a portable AC unit upstairs! It's one of those 3 in 1 dealies that has a continuous drain dehumidifier!

It BARELY fit in, I had to cut my scrog to fit it in, but I got it in!

I don't have a piece of hose the right size, so I'm just going to try this out and see what happens! Wish me luck!

420-magazine-mobile396045019.jpg

It just so happens the exit valve for the dehumidifier is right at the height of my control bucket, so I figure the water can go back into that, I hear that's a thing?

Back
Top Bottom