First Grow In Over 20 Years! Northern Lights Under 600W LED

As stated in my intro: “I am a 58-year-old retired tradesman with pretty bad arthritis in my knees. Recently someone suggested that I try CBD oil to relieve the symptoms. My brother just happened to be using a combination of CBD/THC oil to treat a concussion so I borrowed some from him. To my surprise, it relieved the inflammation much more than prescription NSAIDs or any other herbal remedy I had tried and did miracles for the pain.

My brother got the oil on the Indian Reservation which is the only place it was obtainable at the time and surprisingly is still a pain in the ass to get even though cannabis has been recently legalized in Canada besides it is also pretty expensive so I have decided to start growing my own cannabis. So I plan on making my own oil experimenting which combination of CBD and THC works best so I will be growing a high CBD strain and Northern Lights to mix and match with.”

I also did grow in my younger years so I have a basic understanding but am always looking to learn more. Let the fun begin!!!

What strain is it? Northern Lights feminized from Canukseeds and CB Dutch Treat feminized from Crop King
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Northern Lights germinated in paper towel and put in soil Oct 12 and put in soil Oct 15. CB Dutch Treat germinated in paper towel Oct 15 and planted in soil Oct 20.
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Coco Substrate, Earthworm Castings, Perlite
If soil... What size pot? 750ml
Size of light? VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 600W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower
Temp of Room/cab? 77F Daytime, 68F at night.
RH of Room/cab? 30%
PH of runoff 6.7
Any Pests ? no
Type and strength of ferts used? None used yet other than worm castings in soil.

My Northern Lights after three days in a moist paper towel where it all began.
!cid_a1604db2-0adf-4a74-8a0b-566674e80381@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

What I am using for soil mix.
!cid_c97d26d3-be4a-4d78-9b1f-0bc03ed22af6@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

!cid_a7e0f3ad-d8e6-4b09-91b8-1beb264e9f9f@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

!cid_7a3f64d0-7680-4b4a-9b48-528162c829d3@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

This is the fertilizer I am going to mix in when I transplant into 5 gal containers and I was thinking of using it as a top dressing after my seedlings are 2-3 weeks old?
!cid_50d88671-2ac8-44ec-82b7-a4ffa2529bbf@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

Next are the reflectors I made of Mylar with wood frames. I figure I can move them when I want to water or adjust my screen of green easily for access.
!cid_8539a84d-40d7-4588-b86a-afe4c5c3b634@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

!cid_f0b8d48d-aa83-4bbf-a0e3-5cdedc64dea6@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

!cid_83d615d2-daa1-4542-b9e6-2fb73d060149@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

This is my Northern Lights after 9 days after start of germination and 7 days in soil.
!cid_a7f9ddc0-b80c-4db8-b507-687d3626d020@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

Attachments

• !cid_02555bed-e6e6-464a-9ce2-95bfe921ccfe@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg
    !cid_02555bed-e6e6-464a-9ce2-95bfe921ccfe@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 204
My tallest seedling after seven days in soil is 3 ¼ inches tall and falling over so I figure I have way too much stretch so I think my lights were too high even though I used the exact recommendations of the manufacturer. If you look at my attachment you see the manufacturer recommends seedlings/young vegetative be at a height of 36 inches to 40 inches which is what I did but from the stretch of my plants I assume, that is way too far away.

I have done a lot of reading and have found no real consensus on the distance for LEDs but I am now at 21 inches to try to limit my stretching. Any recommendations would be welcome. I am watching for bleaching and curling leaves but so far so good at this height. I read several times that the manufacturers test their lights and that their recommendations should be followed but in my case, they seem way off.

!cid_c8e9a41a-6990-48ba-8fe4-4e5c9c01bb9d@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

Temp and humidity during the day.
!cid_c518e288-18c9-4b4a-b077-ab5a059e513a@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

great idea on the reflectors! I would think about raising your humidity a little bit maybe a vicks humidifier for the room you fill once a day is what I used, then you just stop using it 2 weeks into flower to get your drop that you want :)

Thank you Purpsmagurps, I appreciate the comment about the reflectors.

I understand my humidity is low and unfortunately with winter coming and me living in Ontario it is only going to get worse. Regrettably I have a forced air furnace in my house and that room is heated that way so there is a constant circulation of air so I would pretty much have to raise the humidity in my whole house to affect that room very much. I have read that some people have gotten away with very low humidity so I am just going to leave it for now and see how things go. I appreciate the advice though and I am going to keep my eye on it.

Nice start Looking forward to a nice harvest
BTW If you ever want to put away your PPM/EC & PH Meter and not use any chemicals
I would recommend checking out the linked thread below its very long but many pictures of what
can be expected

Doc buds high brixs

its basically point and shoot / plug and play TYPE process but you will get bored ;)
it does need a good environment to work at its best but still gives GREAT results

Nice start Looking forward to a nice harvest
BTW If you ever want to put away your PPM/EC & PH Meter and not use any chemicals
I would recommend checking out the linked thread below its very long but many pictures of what
can be expected

Doc buds high brixs

its basically point and shoot / plug and play TYPE process but you will get bored ;)
it does need a good environment to work at its best but still gives GREAT results

I am checking it out and will consider it when my current medium is used up, thanks.

Hi
I am soooo here! :yahoo::slide::yahoo:
By the way, just add some bowls of water and wet towels, it will raise the humidity a bit

Welcome aboard AngryBird!! Thanks, I may try and raise my humidity soon.

Welcome aboard AngryBird!! Thanks, I may try and raise my humidity soon.

I can assure you it will be the best thing you can do
try and get it to 60% and things will run strong

Oh I would indeed lower that light and maybe even add some fans
BTW The small cool mist humidifiers will help keep the temp down if
that becomes a problem when you lower the light

I can assure you it will be the best thing you can do
try and get it to 60% and things will run strong

Oh I would indeed lower that light and maybe even add some fans
BTW The small cool mist humidifiers will help keep the temp down if
that becomes a problem when you lower the light

Both you and Angrybird are pretty insistent I should raise my humidity and that’s what I’m here for to learn what is important so I will give it a try. I think first I will try the towel and bowl of water with a fan method because I really don’t want to spend the money for a humidifier; I have a few other hobbies and they are all money pits and I’m really trying to do this on the cheap. But like I said with forced air heating in my house it’s going to be pretty hard to raise it very much nevermind to 60% because every time the furnace kicks on I think it will just below the humidity out of that room into the rest of the house but I will give it a go.

I have lowered my lights to 21 inches now so do you think I should go lower than that with 600 W LEDs? It’s hard to see it in my pictures because of overexposure but I actually have a ceiling fan in that room right over my grow area which is providing good air circulation so I actually already have a fan setup. Thanks again for the recommendations!

The distance for LEDs has a lot to do with the way the LIGHT MIXES/blends so at closer distances the
light does not mix like it should. One way to see it is to use a white sheet of paper just over the canopy
and see if you see blue/red/white areas. Sorry i use HID so cant be of more help but that stretch says
they are not getting enough.

Oh I did not mean you have to raise the humidity to 60% but the closer you can get to that number
the better the girl will like it and grow much faster. We can only do what we can do and she will grow
just not like she could :)

BTW I am the cheapest guy you may know but have found my local CL adds / Goodwill's / Dollar stores
are my best resources.

Welcome to :420: Homer!! As you can already see this community has some great members who are very helpful like @AngryBird and @Gazoo. I'd like to pull up a chair and stick around if you don't mind? Very creative reflector by the way!!

Welcome to :420: Homer!! As you can already see this community has some great members who are very helpful like @AngryBird and @Gazoo. I'd like to pull up a chair and stick around if you don't mind? Very creative reflector by the way!!
:hug: hi Sweetie come sit next to us
:passitleft:

The distance for LEDs has a lot to do with the way the LIGHT MIXES/blends so at closer distances the
light does not mix like it should. One way to see it is to use a white sheet of paper just over the canopy
and see if you see blue/red/white areas. Sorry i use HID so cant be of more help but that stretch says
they are not getting enough.

Oh I did not mean you have to raise the humidity to 60% but the closer you can get to that number
the better the girl will like it and grow much faster. We can only do what we can do and she will grow
just not like she could :)

BTW I am the cheapest guy you may know but have found my local CL adds / Goodwill's / Dollar stores
are my best resources.

I actually took your advice and did a test with a piece of paper and the light from my LEDs seem to be pretty well mixed just inches away so I think I am pretty safe moving the light a lot closer as far as spectrum goes. I’m going to keep moving them closer and see how the plants respond.

That does make sense also that the closer to 60% I get the better but can only do so much. I am going to try the wet towel and fan method first and if that doesn’t work maybe I will get a misting humidifier. And yes I did get my trays at the dollar store also, LOL. Again thanks for the info.

Yes so far everyone has been very friendly and helpful and I am quite appreciative. Please pull up a chair and stick around, the more the merrier!

Thank you for the comment on my reflectors. I spent 30 years in the construction trades so I am pretty good at throwing things together.

Back
Top Bottom