First Grow In Years - Stupid Mistakes

Stokstaartje

Grow Tent – Zippered, Mylar Reflective 48X24X60
• Temp range: 76 – 89 degrees
• Two fans – Small one at top of grow room blowing out; floor fan
• No carbon filter, which I hope to remedy this week, because this grow room is in my closet, and it’s really beginning to reek in the bedroom

Lighting
2 - Hydrofarm 125w CFL 6400k/7000Lumens each
1 - Apollo 250w CFL 2700k/11050Lumens
6 - 23w CFL 2700k/1600Lumens each (Just added two days ago)
Total Lumens – 34050

Plants
1 Northern Light(auto)
2 Silver Haze (auto)
4 White Widow (2 auto)

Germination August 6th (18/6)

Clear plastic cups (I recommend this highly!)
Fertilizer/Nutrients
o Miracle Gro (30-10-10) 2tblsp per 1 ½ gal
o Maxi-gro (10-5-14) 1tblsp per 1 ½ gal
o 1-2 drops SuperThrive per 1 ½ gal

Flowering October 3rd (12/12)
(Transferred to plastic grow bags)
Fertilizer/Nutrients (33oz per plant, 1x weekly)
o Maxi grow 1-2 teasp per 1 ½ gal
o Advanced Nutrients –Bud, Bloom (1-2mL per liter)
o Molasses 2Tblsp per 1 ½ gal
o Super Thrive (Foliar Feeding)
o Plain Water (33oz per plant, 1x weekly)

Solved Problems
• Evidence of Nutrient lock the week before. Instead of ‘flushing’ the dirt, it was just easier and less messy to wash/swish the roots in water (w/ Super Thrive) and plant in 3 gal grow bags of fresh dirt.
• Removed blemished leaves, foliar fed and within a few days they were bright, perky and no problems since.

Present Problem:
I read that I could grow up to ten autos in this grow room, so I figured to settle for seven with two regular plants. Damned if even the auto flowers are taller than expected. This is my fault, because I kept planning to SCROG, but got distracted. I just added the six-23w CFL’s two days ago, and the plants shot up from 1 – ½ inches! Now, the two WW’s are less than an inch from the Apollo grow light. Not sure what to do now, since I was planning to harvest by the 3nd-4th week of November.
The grow room is so crowded that I have to move the plants around to allow for stretch, and I’m lollypopping everything with 5 or less leaves because they’re not getting enough light, and it’s kind of a waste of energy and nutrients that could be feeding the stronger plants. Flowers everywhere, and for the most part, the plants look great. Judging from the pickins’ I’ve tested so far, it’s gonna be a real nice holiday.
Is it a bad idea to try and train it now that it’s this tall (Almost 6 feet). I’ve had to use string to tie some of the branches together to keep them away from the lights, and I’m still shocked at the growth that took place after adding the light bulbs. I’m just not sure how bad it could get in the next 4 weeks if I just try to manage it.
Maybe if I do that time shift thing discussed on another page - 1 ½ day of darkness, to 5 hours of light (?) – maybe it’ll push it up fast enough that it’ll be ready sooner?
I really don’t have anything to complain about do I? Well, except for the smell…

auto plants,dont need a 12/12 schedule. thats a perk of them. I have a friend that grows them,he just leaves them in his veg tent,16/8
for the whole life cycle,Im not brave enough to mess with them,although I would love too(plant count,restricts me)

I dont see many people scrogging them,they only have a little life span,stress kicks there ass.

interested in the solutions you come up with.Pics would help

auto plants,dont need a 12/12 schedule. thats a perk of them. I have a friend that grows them,he just leaves them in his veg tent,16/8
for the whole life cycle,Im not brave enough to mess with them,although I would love too(plant count,restricts me)

I dont see many people scrogging them,they only have a little life span,stress kicks there ass.

interested in the solutions you come up with.Pics would help
Thanks for your reply! I'm still trying to figure out how to load photos. Should have them up soon!

ill be sitting in for the ride, i want to grow a auto flower sometime. if i do i got a bit of reading to do on them autos..

I&i

Thanks Antics! I'll be sending up photos tomorrow. They've grown about 2 !/2 inches since my last post. I was concerned about the stretching. It measure around 4 inches going up. Flowering is abundant. The additional 2700k growlights are doing this, which is awesome! I decided to remove the Veg lights, because I just have no room for the two big plants that are about 4inches from the top of the grow room (60inches).

What can I do about the crowding? This morning, I rearranged the plants, putting the largest ones on either side, and moving the smaller ons in the middle. Then I arranged the 6 CFL bulbs in the middle of the grown room to nourish the smaller guys. Every one of them is growing larger buds and stretching upwards!
I was told that auto plants didn't require the 2700k lights. Does this mean I can use the veg lights for them? If so, then I might be able to move the smaller ones, giving more room and light for the larger ones.
As if I needed more plants, I pinched off some of the lower leaves two weeks ago, with the intention of placing in a warm oven to dry). Just as I was about to put them into the oven, I noticed four of them had two sets of leaves and fairly strong stems (allmost stick-like). I figured what the hell, and took them into the bathroom, where I dipped them in Super Thrive for a minute or so. I then took them and inserted them into the peat pots - presoaked with a weak solution of fertilizer.
I placed the peat pot into a clear plastiic cup filled with dirt (fertilizer was in it). That was two weeks ago? The roots have moved quickly to the bottom of the cup. It was so easy!

Easiest way is raise the pots that are getting crowded out.

You CAN grow an auto with 6500K.. but you can do that for a photo plant too. Whether it's an auto or a photo, both plants still do best under the red wavelengths than the white.

My best suggestion, would be make a mixed spectrum, AND move some plants. You can run a mixed spectrum in both cabinets, and give all the plants the best of both spectrums.

Nice job on the clones man! You guys are really making it look easy, and have me tempted to give it a try.

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom