First grow, is ventilation really needed?

G-roller

Hi, Im doing a pc grow. The plants are only going to stay inside for 2-3 weeks before I place them outside. Im wondering, is a fan really needed for seedlings? I have a couple air holes.

If you can't do a fan these few weeks, gently shake the containers a few times a day so the plants are swaying back and forth, that will also strengthen the stems.

Make sure you have enough holes so there's a decent exchange of air... good luck!

Guys I agree that a fan would be better, but I had a similar issue a while back. As long as they're getting fresh air they'll make it for a few weeks without a fan.

They will probably survive g-roller, but on your next grow GET A FAN, it's like night and day.
Once outside, you are going to end up tying these ones to a stick to keep them standing, real weak stem, real droopy.
With no fan, I assume you have a light in the box, how hot is it inside?
Heat kills fast.

It's not very hot inside. (don't know the exact degrees). Since it's only a 11watt fluorescent tube, I assume heat won't be a problem. I also air the box out couple times each day.

thanks for all the help so far! To build stem strength I will put them outside a few hours a couple days a week. A small update and question:

Most of them have grown, and are almost touching the light I originally placed 1inch from the pots. Now, my concern is this. They are not equally tall.

Should I move the light 2 inches from the tallest seedling, or not? My fear is that not moving it further up will burn them. But if I moved it further up I'm afraid the smaller ones would stretch in order to get closer to the light.

All help is greatly appriciated! Not easy growing so far north

thanks for all the help so far! To build stem strength I will put them outside a few hours a couple days a week. A small update and question:

Most of them have grown, and are almost touching the light I originally placed 1inch from the pots. Now, my concern is this. They are not equally tall.

Should I move the light 2 inches from the tallest seedling, or not? My fear is that not moving it further up will burn them. But if I moved it further up I'm afraid the smaller ones would stretch in order to get closer to the light.

Hey bro sounds like you're making your way through one problem at a time lol!

What I try to do then is raise the shorter plants up if I can by putting them on a riser. The more even your canopy the better. Without a fan right now I also wouldn't have that light too close, but you're right there. If they look stressed move the light a little further back. Good luck!

I find that when growing from seed they tend to differ in size, where as with clones they all a similar height

Back
Top Bottom