First Grow Journal

I hang and dry my weed in my garage. I've got it set up like a room. Carpet, ac/ heat, etc. The light in the room is pretty dark and I've got good air circulation. A little light is ok, I think, not the sun though. My buds usually take about 5-10 days depending on local weather. More humid it takes longer to dry properly. Less humid, dries fast and you'll be in the jar sooner. Cure for me is minimum 2 weeks for something descent to taste, and longer. I I keep some buds up 9 months. I've got joints of Sour Og I harvested over a year ago, They're stoney!

I hang and dry my weed in my garage. I've got it set up like a room. Carpet, ac/ heat, etc. The light in the room is pretty dark and I've got good air circulation. A little light is ok, I think, not the sun though. My buds usually take about 5-10 days depending on local weather. More humid it takes longer to dry properly. Less humid, dries fast and you'll be in the jar sooner. Cure for me is minimum 2 weeks for something descent to taste, and longer. I I keep some buds up 9 months. I've got joints of Sour Og I harvested over a year ago, They're stoney!

so you don't bother to try control the humidity for the dry? it's why i did a test dry, so i could see if my big old humidifier would work lol. kept the room at 45% and it still dried fast imo. it's about 20% in my place, so dry here.

I live in the desert, we don't get too much humidity here. It's only 45% right now but it's low 70's. I grow with the mentality that I need to work around my environment and use it as an asset not a hindrance. I don't want to fight with humidity the climate where I live is not too humid. I've run into issues in the past and don't want to mess with it.

When you're drying your buds listen for when the stem snaps. Snap is ready for jar and cure. I burp the jars when i think about it for the first few days, and then leave to cure. I check periodically to make they're curing and not molding. It's tough to judge but you'll get a system that works for you.

Some people like to hang screens in their tent and let the buds cure. I hang dry on a century stand with a couple of extra arms and some clips and / or twist ties.

I live in the desert, we don't get too much humidity here. It's only 45% right now but it's low 70's. I grow with the mentality that I need to work around my environment and use it as an asset not a hindrance. I don't want to fight with humidity the climate where I live is not too humid. I've run into issues in the past and don't want to mess with it.

When you're drying your buds listen for when the stem snaps. Snap is ready for jar and cure. I burp the jars when i think about it for the first few days, and then leave to cure. I check periodically to make they're curing and not molding. It's tough to judge but you'll get a system that works for you.

Some people like to hang screens in their tent and let the buds cure. I hang dry on a century stand with a couple of extra arms and some clips and / or twist ties.

Great info, better yet simply put lol. everything can get made to be so complicated.

Thanks Mon!

About to chop my girls down, they've been in the dark for close to 40 hours now,. spent some time to consider if i'm keeping the fan leaves on or not for the dry and decided this time to cut them. There's time and other grows to try other ways. but i'm going to try hang them whole if i can, they're pretty wide.

gonna spend the night taking them out one at a time to get pics, trim fans and chop. lots of pics coming soon.

lots of under developed bud, but i expected that due to my lack of defolability at the time. but for my first grow ever, i'm super happy!
But super tired after all the trimming. plan didn't go as i hoped. ended up hanging some big pieces and some single branches rather that 4 whole plants. just gonna be watching my humidity in the drying room over the next while.
my mom helped me lol that was fun and hilarious.

Thanks for all the support everyone :love:

First grow... Second Grow... THIRD GROW... Nice haul Remy! Now comes the hard part, the last few weeks. This is where taking your time is the most important. Don't be in a hurry to dry your buds. If you jar them too soon it could be bad. The stem snap is a good go to for jarring. While you're waiting pick up some boveda packs, 62% is what I use, cigar humidors use 58% boveda packs. I keep a boveda in with all my buds. Congratulations!!!! Looks like you'll be having more than a few o's dry!

BTW: Keeping those big fans on will only slow the drying time. Some people like to make a trim pile for doing bubble hash or making coco oil for cooking or grape seed oil for topicals.

First grow... Second Grow... THIRD GROW... Nice haul Remy! Now comes the hard part, the last few weeks. This is where taking your time is the most important. Don't be in a hurry to dry your buds. If you jar them too soon it could be bad. The stem snap is a good go to for jarring. While you're waiting pick up some boveda packs, 62% is what I use, cigar humidors use 58% boveda packs. I keep a boveda in with all my buds. Congratulations!!!! Looks like you'll be having more than a few o's dry!

BTW: Keeping those big fans on will only slow the drying time. Some people like to make a trim pile for doing bubble hash or making coco oil for cooking or grape seed oil for topicals.
Thanks Mon!! I do feel like celebrating, i never thought the first go would turn out so well.

have 10 of the 8 gram boveda packs 62%. i read to use them after the cure is done. every stage is more and more scary, now i'm worried about mold lol. i'm sure it'll be fine, i live and work in the same building so i can check on it as often as i need to. going for a 10 - 14 day dry tho. good thing i have enough to smoke for a while or i might want to rush it a bit LMAO.

the fan. i only have the ceiling fan going on low and was wondering if it's enough. i can feel the air move when i'm in the room but the buds aren't moving so i think it's a sweet spot, but not sure.

Feels great not to have to water those 10 gal bags, it was getting to be way too much feed and nutes every day. the next round are already in their 5 gal bags and only takes about half a gallon or less to get run off. so i'm looking forward to getting them in the flower room and focus on the second journal that i've been neglecting big time lol.

well the weed only took 5 days to dry. lots of buds not exactly super tight i guess. but i think i got it in jars in time to cure. It's a lot of weed but a lot of pop corn nugs and some pretty loose buds, but all is caked in crystals so i'm happy. anything that did turn out to dry too fast i'll probably make into oil. ended up with 25 jars. didn't weigh it but it's lots lol.

Nice haul dude! figure about an ounce per jar, but likely less for airy buds. I've noticed that some plants produce tight nugs and some don't.

Congratulations that's alotta weed!

Thanks Bro!. I blame the airy nugs on my lack of defol at the right times. i just didn't know what to do and was afraid to do anything after flowering started, but now that i have a huge stash i'm not afraid to try stuff out now. next go i'll be doing my defol at 3rd week of flower like so many others, and see how that turns out.

As you grow more plants you’ll start to see them differently. They will tell you how to shape them. The idea is to know how many mains you want and then go into flower with an idea. Then at week 3 a defol, you can lollipop or just thin her out.

So the cure is going good, no signs of mold. smells better every day. going to lessen the burping frequency to every other day since it's been a week now and i'm pretty sure i over dried a bit.

But I made some oil !!!!! lol it tastes pretty damn good and is very strong. used just the trimmings and some of the really scraggly bud for it.

didn't weigh the greens but i'm guessing it's a bit over a pound, either way it's more than enough to keep me going until the next round is done.

the bud for the most part is really nice. smokes good tastes good and gets me super stoned lol. I'm a very happy new grower, now with a bit of experience hoping to kill it in the next one. not literally.
20190310_230323.jpg20190314_151532.jpg20190315_140404.jpg20190315_141355.jpg20190315_141621.jpg20190315_153857.jpg20190315_153905.jpg20190316_005852.jpg20190316_174517.jpg

very nice :) be careful with humidifers, especially if you live in a colder climate. pay attention to the windows, and dew points within exterior walls and attics... faulty vapor barriers etc. dont want to accidently mould up the place without knowing it :)
That's where I'm at with my first grow. Have a DEhumidifier working now trying to get back to 25%. Live and learn. On my first grow and starting my second with the knowledge from my first. So far these guys giving advice are spot on. Props for the people helping us newbies and maybe later in life we can do the same.

That's where I'm at with my first grow. Have a DEhumidifier working now trying to get back to 25%. Live and learn. On my first grow and starting my second with the knowledge from my first. So far these guys giving advice are spot on. Props for the people helping us newbies and maybe later in life we can do the same.

I have a real soft spot in my heart for the calcium deficiency that brought me here lol. every time i see a new members first post is a cal mag def i just smile lol.
Amazing forum and growers here hopefully i can pass on the help one day. there's a few local growers taking tips from me often, it's nice to see a community developing irl here too.

Back
Top Bottom