First grow - leaves curling up and single brown spot

dr awesome

Hey guys,

This is my first grow. I've done lots of reading and research and everything was going fine until a few days ago when my leave started to curl upwards/sideways. Also, I noticed a single brown spot a few days ago but it hasn't gotten bigger or anything. The leaves are curing a bit more since I first noticed.

Setup:
- 90w LED, 15" from biggest plants.
- top drip hydroponic
- coco/pearlite (about 65:35 mix)
- botanicare nutes (advanced system)
- pH is about 6.0
- temp 22c-30c (71f-87f)
- humidity 40-50 (sometimes it gets a bit higher)

I've got 3 plants. Two are bigger because they sprouted faster and I put them in the medium sooner. They were under lights for 24 hours for about a week, the smaller third 3 days. I switched to 18/6 last weekend. And I noticed this curling then too. I was watering them every 8 hours for 20 minutes, but now I'm currently watering them every 8 hours for 10 minutes because I thought maybe i was over watering them. The coco does get to 'moist' near the top, but near the bottom of the pot it does stay 'wet'.

So, I'm thinking maybe a Mg deficiency, can't be heat. The LED does not run hot at all. I don't yet have a fan running because I'm afraid the stalks aren't strong enough yet.

Any pointers on why this is happening? Will some simple Epsom Salts fix it?

(sorry the pics are sideways. I'm a noob.)

The bigger plants are both this size. This one's leaves aren't as bad, but it has the brown spot.
photo_3_49.JPG

Close up (kinda, cell phone pic) of the brown spot.
photo288.JPG

Also, this one leaf looks different, lighter green? A bit wrinkly?
photo_4_34.JPG

This is the other bigger plant. Leaves are really curled.
photo_2_56.JPG
photo_1_66.JPG

The smallest plant is doing a-ok.

I would run clean water over top of your medium, looks like salt build up and also you need a fan running. Low humidity will cause a salt build up, your plant looks strong enough to handle a fan on low. And it doesnt have to be directly on the plant. Magnesium could be the problem. I would add either epsom salt to water and spray the leaves or get CaMg+ and do the same and also put it in your hydro. The first picture looks like lack of nitrogen. If there all in the same hydro system then I would foilar feed and clean the reservoir. And start light until problem is solved. Also check the PH of the water and the temp. If its to cold it can lock out nitrogen and other nutrients. Dont look for effected leaves to get better, just keep your eye on the new growth

The last 2 pictures look real dry. They may not be getting enough water. They look as if there shriveling up about to die. May need to check your drip line or check roots

Thanks for the tips Wiz

The leaves have been curled like that for over a week now but are still really green. They don't seem to be shriveling up, besides the curling, they seem really healthy.

I'm going to some Mg on the leaves and adding a fan. If that dosen't work, then foliar feeding and cleaning out my reservoir.

What is an ideal temp for the water so it doesn't lock out nitrogen? I think I need a digital pH meter, rather than the colour drip type you use with pools. I don't think it's very accurate.

Thanks for the tips Wiz

The leaves have been curled like that for over a week now but are still really green. They don't seem to be shriveling up, besides the curling, they seem really healthy.

I'm going to some Mg on the leaves and adding a fan. If that dosen't work, then foliar feeding and cleaning out my reservoir.

What is an ideal temp for the water so it doesn't lock out nitrogen? I think I need a digital pH meter, rather than the colour drip type you use with pools. I don't think it's very accurate.

I would clean the res, asap and the pool drops i dont think those would work as well as GH drops. If you have a hydro store get those. They have the PH up & down with the drops for 28 bucks. They have good PH meters also though. But I would keep the water temp at luke warm, 40-60. A fish tank heater will do. Just leave it sit in there with out turning it off. Phosphorus also gets locked out with cold temps.

Back
Top Bottom