First Grow & Legally In Canada

r0am1ng st0ner

This is my first ever grow but because of Canada's recent legalization I am going to try my hand at growing my own medicine. I am going to be starting them indoors and as the weather improves they will all finish in a heated greenhouse. I would really appreciate any comments or help from the community and I will try my best to keep everyone updated and informed. I have been doing a lot of research online and reading up in books and I feel ready but below I will list some more details.

SEEDS
Gorilla Zkittlez
-Indica dominant
-56-63 day flowering
-Outdoor harvest mid October

Gorilla Glue#4
-Hybrid
-60 day flowering
-Outdoor harvest late September

Super Lemon Haze
-Sativa dominant
-70 day flowering
-Outdoor harvest late October

King Tut

-Sativa dominant
-53-63 day flowering
-Outdoor harvest mid October

LIGHTS
While they are indoors and seedlings they will be under some good florescent lights that I don't know a lot about but there are 2 different color bulbs to get a better spectrum.

As soon as they are big enough and it looks like spring is on its way I will start transitioning them to bask under the sun and let nature handle it.

ENVIRONMENT
Indoors they are in a home built wood frame poly covered area sitting just above some heat pads on low.

Outdoors they will be in a heated greenhouse so that I can control the environment especially when fall approaches and night temps drop.

SOIL
I made my own soil out of peat moss, perlite, vermiculite, and lime I think I would have to look again to confirm

NUTRIENTS
I purchased the fox farms trio Grow Big, Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom.
I plan to try some unsulphured molasses at some point towards flowering.

Other
I also got a 5-7 range pH paper so that I can make sure the nutes are effective.
I have a Carlson Micro-Brite 60-100x LED magnifying thing.
I will be using vitamin C (ascorbic acid) to remove the chlorine from the tap water but seedlings are getting distilled water.

Feb, 15, 2019 I put seeds to soak around 4:30-5:00 pm local time

Feb, 16, 2019 I checked seed around 2-3 pm and seen my Gorilla Zkittlez's tap root so I decided to put them all in soil

heya canuck,, cheers to ya friend,,

yep, as mentioned,, a ph pen, 20 bucks on amazon, critical piece of equipment.

curious when you feel you will be able to plant outside,, i know you have heated greenhouse,, so,, 8 weeks from now??

plants will grow is all, 8 week old plant can be a foot square, or more, and growing

read up on proper watering,, not as easy as one might think,,

and go easy with nutes,, real easy,,

cheers friend,, happy family day in the morrow

Hey Stoner, nice little run you got going. I'll hang around if you don't mind.

I will be using vitamin C (ascorbic acid) to remove the chlorine from the tap water
I'm interested in how you are doing this and how long it takes to remove the chlorine? How much water to vit C? Powder, liquid, pill?

Thanks and welcome to :420:

Check my sig below for the link that says Helpful Links for new Members if you are still trying to figure things out here.

checking in to say welcome

i'll grab a chair here if that's ok :passitleft:

I'm interested in how you are doing this and how long it takes to remove the chlorine? How much water to vit C? Powder, liquid, pill?

I am going to do this by purchasing pure ascorbic acid with no other fillers in it as a powder from amazon. From my research it is a very quick process I have read some people say instant but I would give it a couple minutes as it is still a chemical reaction. As for amount I have read about 25 mg/Liter tap water.

I am going to do this by purchasing pure ascorbic acid with no other fillers in it as a powder from amazon. From my research it is a very quick process I have read some people say instant but I would give it a couple minutes as it is still a chemical reaction. As for amount I have read about 25 mg/Liter tap water.

Interesting. I may play with a batch. I typically use rain water, but I finally ran dry over the winter and now using tap. I'll be interested to see how low it drops the pH and for how long, and what it does to the PPM for feeding.
Thanks brother.

One thing I would suggest is to get a PH pen, it will give you a more accurate reading and it will save you a lot of unwanted trouble down the road.
For the next grow I will definitely have a pen but for the price I was happy with litmus paper for a first grow. I agree a pen would be a lot more precise but I want one I can calibrate occasionally and it cost more than I wanted for now

curious when you feel you will be able to plant outside,, i know you have heated greenhouse,, so,, 8 weeks from now??

plants will grow is all, 8 week old plant can be a foot square, or more, and growing

I am hoping to plant outside in about 5 weeks wait and see how fast they start

Interesting. I may play with a batch. I typically use rain water, but I finally ran dry over the winter and now using tap. I'll be interested to see how low it drops the pH and for how long, and what it does to the PPM for feeding.
Thanks brother.

Let me know of anything you decide in your trials as I know nothing about ppm and I don't believe the pH would go back up naturally as you are adding an acid, the pH I do worry about but I will only be using very small amounts and will be checking pH before watering

Ascorbic acid from my understanding is a short term pH down, like vinegar. It will get it down but destabilizes fast, whereas phosphoric or nitric acid are more stable and helps keep pH levels more stable once down. Mixing phosphoric and citric/ascorbic acid may do the same since some pH down companies mix the two together.

PPM is the amount of solubles already in your water. When it comes time to feed, you could measure the PPM to determine the right amount of nutrients, especially if your water already contains a high PPM value.

Ascorbic acid from my understanding is a short term pH down, like vinegar

Interesting I didn't know that a pH could naturally go back up do you have any links to research or studies on this?

I use paper myself and have since seedling on this grow, as my ph pen broke day one lol (my bad) if and when you do get ph pen do keep the test strips around in case your pen breaks or whatever. Always good to have a back up!
G/L on your grow!

PS: Must be nice to have spring coming in your area mid Feb.........!!!

I use paper myself and have since seedling on this grow, as my ph pen broke day one lol (my bad) if and when you do get ph pen do keep the test strips around in case your pen breaks or whatever. Always good to have a back up!
G/L on your grow!

PS: Must be nice to have spring coming in your area mid Feb.........!!!
I would definitely keep the paper and spring is still quite long away but I am lucky that I can just heat the greenhouse and pretend it is spring in there

up do you have any links to research or studies on this
No I do not, hence why it was my understanding. My experience in the past with vinegars and such is the pH comes down, but over a period of time does not stay at that level. If I use a phosphoric based acid, it stays the same over a period of days while I use the mix up.

No I do not, hence why it was my understanding. My experience in the past with vinegars and such is the pH comes down, but over a period of time does not stay at that level. If I use a phosphoric based acid, it stays the same over a period of days while I use the mix up.

Hmm a google search resulted someone else saying the same thing this is good to know thank you

Here is an article from the Promix site, but more talking about the types of acids to reduce akalinity. They refer to citic acid but not ascobic. They don't really talk about the stability of it either but might be worth a quick read.

It's veering a little off the topic since we were only looking at removing chlorine :)

Back
Top Bottom