First grow, nutrient problems

Greenhorn84

Hi Folks.
This year, i started my first grow. I want to grow outdoors, in a few spots close to my home. I started my plants from seeds (Hollands Hope and Guerillas Gusto, both known to be tough enough for outdoor grow) around the beginning of april, and kept them indoors under fluorescent lights until now. I wanted to set the plants outdoor next week, so i started giving them a little sunlight, but now they have developed some symptoms.

1. Some leaves have a "claw" on their tip, and the edges curl down sideways. Many have a real edge where the leaf suddenly turns down. I read about it online, but theres so many things that could cause it! It might be over- or underwatering, nitrogen toxicity, copper deficiency (the lowest "real" leaf is turning yellow from the tip).

1663127156453.png

2. Some leaves are curled upwards from the side, i guess this could be a heat/light reaction because the plants aren't used to direct sunlight?

YJ20Abe.jpg

Please help. I have not used any fertilizer, but i did use pre-fertilized potting soil. I had the plants in that soil from the beginning on, and the problems started just now, so i dont think that is causing the problem. Thanks in advance for any help!

Greenhorn

P.S. : I found out itt might be the ph-level, which could lock out all kinds of nutes, so i'm getting a ph meter in a few days. I'm using water from the tab.

I spent the day reading loads of posts and websites. I couldn't get any more clues on what this could be, but i read an interesting article that said that the earth in my spot was probably very rich in nitrogen, because i had to remove loads of nettles and goutweed (i hope this is the correct word, i googled a translation). So i'm going to get some distilled water to flush them (can i do this if my plants are directly planted into the soil outdoors? I did put a layer of small stones into the bottom to get some kind of drainage). Is there anything that i should do to the water to make it better? I also read a lot about problems like mine coming from a lack of oxygens at the roots, is there an easy way to get more oxygen into the water before watering the plants?
Thanks for any help...

Greenhorn

No one replied, so i'll have to decide by myself. Because its really hot in my area right now, i decided the best thing to do is to do some flushing, because the plants can use the extra water. For now i'll have to flush with tap water with unknown ph level, i'll get a ph meter and some distilled water later this week. I'll keep this post updated in case anyone is interested or someone will finally reply =)

I think the reason you've not received a reply yet is that you've pretty much figured out your problems on your own. You more than likely are experiencing N-abundance from the high N soil that you are using. They also need some time to adjust to the heat and light of the sun. I wouldn't necessarily flush your plants, but just watering them with plain water for now sounds like a good plan and should help address both issues. I wouldn't worry about pH too much right now as they appear to be quite healthy just a little too much N is all.

Back
Top Bottom