First Grow: Organic, CFLs, in 2.4 Sq Ft Box

So I finished manicuring the buds a couple of days ago, trimmed all the excess woodage, and they are now in jars for the cure . . . to mellow.

I think it was yesterday, I snatched one of the juiciest lookin' popcorn buds (right outta the jar labeled "sugar-coated popcorn "), then loaded her up nice, kuz she was finally dry and I've been waitin' all this time to tear into these buds already!

I think she nearly scorched my right lung when I took the first rip. Maybe my left one too, I dunno. Anywho, I hope curing will take care of some of that harshness.

And now for the good stuff (statistics):

Total Dry Yield: 2.43oz (69g)! Composed of ~1.8oz (51g) colas/mini-colas and 0.6oz (18g) of popcorn-sized buds. I did not weigh the shake, resin on the scissors, leaf, etc, tho it's not going to waste.

I am happily surprised at the yield. My original estimate was for 2oz, and then I lowered it a few days ago to 1.5oz (during drying) because it seemed like the buds were shrinking in an exponential fashion. So fast, in fact, that I thought maybe my buds were not destined for this current, "general consensus" reality, and were instead retreating into an existence of minimal massiveness in an alternate space-time continuum. But, no, it was just my perception that was off. Thanks, "evaporation," for nearly pushing me over the edge!

Oh, and I also underestimated the sheer number of buds and their density.

:yummy:
"time time time is on your side, yes it is" in the words of the Stones.
Wow that is an awesome haul. Congrats.

Sounds like you learned a lot from your grow and have a great plan for the next. Congrats on you harvest and enjoy.....

Thanks for stopping in again, sonzor. For the next grow I'm gonna try to boost the yield, but I am very happy with this first grow. Glad to have you along. Can't wait to see how the outdoor Full Moon plants turn out. Looks awesome, and I really appreciate the outdoor pics.

it looks like you've learned alot from this last grow. I run CFL'S in my veg area. They are great. Jsut dont pump out all that extra growth, but for me thats perfect. I veg while the others are flowering so in 8 weeks girls can get ((((HUGE)))). anyways this is about you and the great job you've done. And the way you have a new strategy planned out desreves a +rep (if I can).CANT WAIT TO SEE THE NEXT ONE!!

Glad to have you along. I'll probably be starting the next journal in just a few days and I'll also try to put up more detailed info on my box setup in the Cabinet, Closet, & Grow Room sub-forum. Thanks again.

2.43 oz?!:slide: Awesome!:clap::clap::clap:
Great job :goodjob: :yummy:

P.S. Bud smoked within the two weeks after harvest is usually very harsh and unpleasant going down lol.. 2-3 weeks into your cure it'll go away tho, and it will just get smoother from that point forward ;)

congrats on the haul. Goodjob for 2.4 sq ft box fa sho :cheer:

Okay, so I'll just let em cure for a few more days before the smoke report. Can't wait till they smooth out a bit tho. Also, I had a question about curing. I heard that potency will also increase during the curing process. But there must be some point where the rate of THC degradation begins to offset the beneficial effects of curing. What do you think is the optimal amount of time, on average, for buds to cure?

VERY nice gangalicious. That is a very impressive grow for that space. Sounds like you're in for an exceptionally enjoyable Christmas (if I was p.c. I would have said "holiday season").

Yep, fellas, it's like the Ganjaclaus arrived early and dropped off the fattest sack of weed ever. And you guys had a fantastic haul with your CFL/hydro setup. Amazing! So, yes, it's gonna be an enjoyable Christmas indeed!

Okay, so I'll just let em cure for a few more days before the smoke report. Can't wait till they smooth out a bit tho. Also, I had a question about curing. I heard that potency will also increase during the curing process. But there must be some point where the rate of THC degradation begins to offset the beneficial effects of curing. What do you think is the optimal amount of time, on average, for buds to cure?

Generally, from 4 weeks to 6 months. This is general tho, i've smoked year old jarred bud, and I couldnt tell the difference.:smokin:

Thanks, Link, for hangin' out with me here. That was an awesome thing you just said.

my friend you deserve the respect, and the fact that you have paved the path for me is outstanding and most appreciated , we have near identical grow boxes and it truly excites me to see how well you did, i can only hope to do as well. peace my friend! enjoy the fruits of your labor.

ps. iv also credited you thanks in my new post "Cheap Efficient Starting Guide" and have nominated you for MoM in praise to you fantastic journal! A+ my friend

:goodjob:

Nice haul!! Sounds like you were as surprised as I was in the total yield. I was hoping for something over an oz. Now that it's been curing for a couple weeks, it weighs out at 2.8G. I was also surprised at how quickly the buds have dried out. Matter of fact, the bud I'm currently smoking was re hydrated in a small sealed jar with a slice of orange peel to slow the burn rate.

Sounds like you've learned quote a bit, and should have a positive effect on your next crop!

Generally, from 4 weeks to 6 months. This is general tho, i've smoked year old jarred bud, and I couldnt tell the difference.:smokin:

Cool, thanks for the info. I broke off a small sample and I can tell it's already better in just a few days of curing in the jars. It's much less harsh for sure and the taste is beginning to improve too. I think in a few more days I'll be able to take more than a small puff or two and get a real sense of the medicinal effects and high.

WTG friend. I call this a very good grow. :clap::clap::clap::clap:
Cangrats:cheer:

I'll be looking for that next grow. :popcorn:;)

Thanks, OMM, I appreciate the comments. Very happy to have you along. I should be starting the next one in just a few more days if I can.

my friend you deserve the respect, and the fact that you have paved the path for me is outstanding and most appreciated , we have near identical grow boxes and it truly excites me to see how well you did, i can only hope to do as well. peace my friend! enjoy the fruits of your labor. ps. iv also credited you thanks in my new post "Cheap Efficient Starting Guide" and have nominated you for MoM in praise to you fantastic journal! A+ my friend

Wow, man. Hold on a sec . . . :bong: Gotta take a rip off my bong just to take all that in. :bong: (and another, for good measure).

That was an extraordinarily kind thing to do, to nominate me for something like that. Thank you. And your guide too. Great info. Square pots, yes I want. And remote (wireless?) weather station, yes I want.

Again, thanks for the kindness. Can't wait to see your ladies grow!

:goodjob:

Nice haul!! Sounds like you were as surprised as I was in the total yield. I was hoping for something over an oz. Now that it's been curing for a couple weeks, it weighs out at 2.8G. I was also surprised at how quickly the buds have dried out. Matter of fact, the bud I'm currently smoking was re hydrated in a small sealed jar with a slice of orange peel to slow the burn rate. Sounds like you've learned quote a bit, and should have a positive effect on your next crop!

Yeah, I heard you had a great harvest. Sweet!

I agree then, we were both surprised about the yields. In the beginning I figured an oz would be reasonable, but once everything started unfolding, man, it was great, let me tell ya. My buds dried quickly too. I'm definitely gonna try the orange peel method if I end up needing to rehydrate, but I think I put them into the jars just in time, much earlier than I expected though, that's for sure.

I think in a few more days I'll be able to take more than a small puff or two and get a real sense of the medicinal effects and high.

Have you ever used a vaporizer? I used to have a volcano but sold it for the new da buddha. They're really nice to use, and very easy on your lungs. Clean high with no burnout afterwards.

Just have to remember to hold the vapor in. If you don't, you won't get nearly as high.

Have you ever used a vaporizer? I used to have a volcano but sold it for the new da buddha. They're really nice to use, and very easy on your lungs. Clean high with no burnout afterwards.

Just have to remember to hold the vapor in. If you don't, you won't get nearly as high.

Hey, ultra. Yeah, I've got a Vapor Bros unit. I don't quite get the same range of medicinal effects from vaporizing it seems, but the high is a nice change and I still use it from time to time to give the lungs a break or if I feel a cold or flu coming on. How do you like Da Buddha?

Nice little grow you had going.:goodjob::nicethread:
Can't wait for the next one. I will be sure to pay a bit more
attention.:smokin:

Hey groover. The next journal should be starting pretty soon. Hope to see you there.

Hey, ultra. Yeah, I've got a Vapor Bros unit. I don't quite get the same range of medicinal effects from vaporizing it seems, but the high is a nice change and I still use it from time to time to give the lungs a break or if I feel a cold or flu coming on. How do you like Da Buddha?

Sorry for the late reply! Seemed to have missed your post in all the pre-holiday chaos! I love Da Buddha. It is simple, but is 100% of what one needs. and will not break easily... you can youtube a video of some dude wackin' one with a hammer and it still works :cheer:

I have it hooked into a bong, so I can take massive tokes without that burn from the warm vapor (I am a bong man after all). It's nice to have the water and ice, and the water will catch all the particles that one can occasionally inhale from a slipped screen, etc. I also enjoy smoking the vapor resin from the tube in the bong. It tastes SOMEWHAT like resin, but has a very overwhelming hashy high. Puts me right to bed :p

The one thing I try to tell people: Hold Your Vapor Tokes IN! It doesn't work the same as smoke, and the longer you hold it in, the higher you get. It's a waste to do it any other way. As for the high: yes, it is different, but, according to my theory, is only because the amount of thc one can ingest from smoking a bowl is higher than a vaporizer. If you put the same amount of pot in each, the vaporizer will take 3 full tokes, and about 1 1/2 minutes, where the bong is instant, one toke. I remedy this by loading up the vaporizer with a good amount of weed when I want a good hard hit. I find it lasts longer and I will almost never get burnt out. My lungs are clearer (used to cough up black resin :cough:) and I don't get as out of breath.

I admit, I do on occasion reach for a bonghit, because, well, you're right: the high isn't -exactly- the same. I wonder what vaporizing 80%amber heavy indica strain would be like.

:nicethread:

well this really was great after rereading your grow and seeing your results im feeling pretty good, if you got about 2.5oz with under 300 watts off 2 plants, im shooting for 1.5oz a plant, im running closer to 28,000 lumens on over 500watts
i love your journal this is like my guide

Back
Top Bottom