First Grow: Outdoor Autoflower Blueberry & AK-47 In Pots With Dr. Earth Soil

And part two of the Saturday update...

Let me start by saying that steaming wet dope smells DISGUSTING! My family had to leave the house it smelled so bad. Like boiled brussels sprouts but worse. I do not recommend it unless absolutely necessary!

So to review, the plan was to waste none of the plant, including the buds with botrytis. The way I read to kill botrytis was with steam for at least 30 minutes. Of course, I went with 60 minutes. As this was not being used for ingestion or inhalation, I was less concerned about the efficacy of the method but feel convinced it will work. To test the results, I will keep one bud out at the end of the process (before oil extraction) and seal it in a jar to see if it grows any mold.

First, I found a double boiler with a steam top (flat bottom with holes) rather than a standard top pot. I happened to have one up in a cabinet that was my mother's and had no idea was there until I mentioned the process to my wife. I dumped the contents of the freezer bag into the top.

20170916_141159.jpg

I then placed it on top of the pot of boiling water and set the timer for 60 minutes.

20170916_141306.jpg

After 60 minutes and a whole lotta stink, it was done.

20170916_151522.jpg

At that point it went into a pyrex pan to dry in the oven at 200°.

20170916_151749.jpg

I don't want to decarb at this temp, just evaporate the water so grind it and then decarb with a cover on it. However, at 200° it is taking forever to dry out, so it's still in the oven on convection for air circulation.

Given that this has already been at 212° for an hour and at 200° for a few more hours, I'm not sure how much decarb to do when it's dry and ground. Some decarb must have already taken place and I don't want to get rid of the THC, so I may go easy on the final covered decarb. Decisions, decisions.

Anyway, that's not happening tonight, as once this is dry I'm going to let it cool and do the grinding, decarb, and oil extraction tomorrow. More updates to come!

By the way, that doesn't count the moldy bud I had to pull (brag brag brag)!
Hahaha
The auto that ran like a photo lol
Confused little girl put out for you for sure!!!
The magic butter machine seems legit. I see members all over her taking about it when it comes to making other products. (Like lotions)

4.3 zips from an auto is pretty impressive dude great job.
Cocoa Butter Lotion - MagicalButter.com
Whipped Shea Butter Lotion - MagicalButter.com
Skin Care Archives - MagicalButter.com

I know I feel like I could be a salesman for the magical butter machine but it's awesome. First two links are to a couple lotions. Third one is the link to all their skin care product recipes. Also they are really simple, I believe making it into coconut oil gives you many options on what you can do with it.

Lol! Thanks Mr MB Salesperson! I haven't got the spare cash for any machinery and I don't foresee doing this very often. If I were doing edibles then I would definitely look into that.

Also, I'm not sure if the MB machine does decarb because it's cooking 2 hours at 160°, which I don't think is a decarb combo. So it seems like the only difference between what I did and the MB machine is the machine part (oh yeah, and the stinky mold-killing part!).

Coconut oil isn't as good at being absorbed into the skin as fractionated coconut oil, which is why I went with that type. This is strictly for skin applications. And believe me, after 26 journal pages on lotions and creams it seemed silly to ignore all the advice on there!

Incoming update in 5, 4, 3, 2...

Sunday update and they lost 4-5, but who schedules U19 games at 9am on a Sunday morning. Slow as shit our team was!

I decided to get the decarb done last night while I was watching Family Guy, so I ground the now-dried buds and trim and put it back in the tray. Ah, but then I decided to take some out so I could get a blend of decarbed and non-decarbed, just in case a little THCa would be helpful. I covered the tray with tin foil and put it in the oven.

20170917_000131.jpg

Here I was conflicted about time and temperature. Not only are there so many decarb theories and combos, but I had already given the bud 212° for an hour wet, plus about 3 hours at 200° to dry. I didn't want to destroy the THC, so I went with

20170917_005317.png

I have no way of knowing if that was enough or too much. After cooling over night, I ended up with 51 grams (1.75 ounces) of ground cannabis.

20170917_072000.jpg

Not that it matters because I'm not titrating dosages, but based on Scientific's calculation method: assuming that the dope is 10% THC, we get 5100 mg THC in 354.882 ml of oil, or 14.37mg/ml.

Here it all is at 7:30am ready to be combined in the world's smallest crock pot!

20170917_072425.jpg

Stirred up and ready to go, on low.

20170917_072644.jpg

I left it for about 4 hours when I was supposed to do 3, but the game started late. Came home and the the house smelled like toasted dope. I turned off the crock pot and left it to cool. It goes back on around 7pm for another 3 hours and then cools over night. In the morning I'll strain it into a jar and freeze the mash for the next round with the fans, stems, and roots. Then I can add the beeswax to this tomorrow night to get the right consistency and it will be done. Updates await!

It's Monday all and since I'm pulling out my new grow and starting again, I figured I'd switch to a more positive journal and update the oil infusion process!

Sunday saw two runs of heating the oil. First one was 4 hours with about 8 hours of cooling. Second run was 3 hours and overnight cooling. So this morning the whole thing looked like this:

Ground bud or ground coffee?

20170918_074855.jpg

Oil with THC goodness infused into it (I hope):

20170918_074909.jpg

Crock pot and measuring cup with cheese cloth strainer:

20170918_074947.jpg

I dumped the contents of the crock pot into the cheese cloth and got out my potato ricer, normally only used once a year on Thanksgiving. I wonder if it thinks it's November:

20170918_075129.jpg

Time to squeeze out every last drop of oily goodness that I can:

20170918_075633.jpg

Remains of the day:

20170918_075934.jpg

8 ounces of oil from a 12 ounce bottle means that there are 4 ounces still in the wet bud:

20170918_080005.jpg

Waste not want not as my mother used to say. Into the freezer it goes for the next project:

20170918_080202.jpg

Still to come is adding the beeswax to thicken this up, along with possibly adding some essential oils like lavender or teatree. Not sure that anything is going to cover the scent of toasted bud that this stuff really smells like.

Also, anyone have any idea as to the ratio of THC/oil for skin applications? I'm pretty high here at an estimated 14.37mg/ml but I have no idea if I should be diluting.

To me it depends on how much you want it to be good for muscle relief. Or More getting high off lotioning face lol?

Hmm

To me it depends on how much you want it to be good for muscle relief. Or More getting high off lotioning face lol? Hmm

Har! I have way more than enough dope off my first three plants for the high! This is strictly for skin applications for arthritis, inflammation, and general back massage. I was concerned that 14.4 mg/ml (nearly 50% higher than the 10mg dose in Washington according to Scientific) would be too much for the skin.

Glad you're still around...you had us worried!

Lol! Thanks Mr MB Salesperson! I haven't got the spare cash for any machinery and I don't foresee doing this very often. If I were doing edibles then I would definitely look into that.

Also, I'm not sure if the MB machine does decarb because it's cooking 2 hours at 160°, which I don't think is a decarb combo. So it seems like the only difference between what I did and the MB machine is the machine part (oh yeah, and the stinky mold-killing part!).

Coconut oil isn't as good at being absorbed into the skin as fractionated coconut oil, which is why I went with that type. This is strictly for skin applications. And believe me, after 26 journal pages on lotions and creams it seemed silly to ignore all the advice on there!

Incoming update in 5, 4, 3, 2...

But but...did I mention it's shiny and has flashy lights?!?! Lol no prob man, I just recommend it because I use it and love it

But but...did I mention it's shiny and has flashy lights?!?! Lol no prob man, I just recommend it because I use it and love it

Hmmm....flashy lights? Have to see if I can find that in the budget! ;)

In the meantime I am Mr Makeshift!

Last night was salve/ointment/cream night. First I diluted the 8 ounces of fractionated coconut oil with 4 ounces of grapeseed oil, leaving me with 12 ounces of carrier oil at 9.6mg/ml THC.

Then I split that evenly into separate measuring cups, 6 ounces in each. One would be left as is for massage oil, the other getting the beeswax to stiffen it up. This is the massage oil in a balsamic vinegar bottle:

20170918_221200.jpg

Here's the beeswax I ordered, which comes in little chips that melt pretty quickly. I started with 20 grams of wax, eventually added 5 grams more, and after cooling overnight I can tell I will be adding at least 5 grams more. Too runny.

20170918_204450.jpg

I don't own a double boiler, nor did I want to get one covered in beeswax, so I took some tinfoil (I go through a LOT of tin foil!) and put it over a pot of boiling water (did someone say makeshift?). When the wax melted I just lifted the foil and tipped it into the cup and stirred it together.

20170918_205228.jpg

Remember boys and girls, the oil needs to be warmed as well or the wax just solidifies (duh). I put the measuring cup into the hot water and stirred and stirred until it was all blended together. Then I poured the concoction into a hearts of palms jar from Trader Joe's which was the perfect size to be able to get your hand in: not too narrow and not too deep. I used a whisk (thanks for that suggestion SweetSue) to aerate the salve/ointment/cream while it cooled down. Here's the result:

20170918_224355.jpg

I'll be warming the whole thing up again tonight to add more wax because it was still pourable this morning. When I'm done I will post the total wax used for future reference.

I was going to buy some lavender oil to blend into both of these because right now they smell like toasted dope, but a) I don't think anything will ever be able to overpower the smell and b) the dope smell goes away shortly after you rub it on your skin so I'm not sure it's necessary.

Back
Top Bottom