First Grow: Outdoor Autoflower Blueberry & AK-47 In Pots With Dr. Earth Soil

Ok, the salve/cream/ointment/balm is done, so I thought I'd post the whole thing in summary format.

- 51 grams decarbed bud (cleaned of botrytis per this method), roughly 10% THC per the breeder
- 12 ounces fractionated coconut oil
- 4 hours on low in a small crock pot, 8 hours cooling, 3 more hours on low, cooled over night
- Strained through a double layer of cheese cloth and squeezed in a ricer (thanks SweetSue) to get out as much as I could
- Ended up with 8 ounces, so 4 ounces of oil remains in the plant material which went back in the freezer for another day
- Added 4 ounces of grapeseed oil to dilute the concentration of THC to ~9.6mg/ml
- Split the now 12 ounces into 6 and 6, and left one of those alone for massage oil
- Melted varying amounts of beeswax and stirred it into a jar with the 6 ounces of warm oil, stirring with a whisk (thanks again SweetSue!) while it cooled to see if I liked the consitency
- After mixing 33 grams of beeswax into the 6 ounces of oil, I got this, which doesn't pour when you tip it but is still nice and smooth:

20170920_082228.jpg

It smells like toasted dope but the smell goes away rather quickly after it's applied, so I may not add anything to it. The massage oil may get modified with some essential oils if I think something can overpower the dope smell without becoming overpowering itself (some strong scents trigger my migraines).

Feel free to ask questions if I left something out.

Next up, the rest-of-the-plant-material cooking class!

First Grow - Outdoor Autoflower Blueberry & AK-47 In Pots With Dr. Earth Soil

Cheers for the recipe! I'm subbed up and catching up. Just thought I'd mention a good quality rosemary oil might work for you - rosemary is my go to for relieving/mitigating headaches so hopefully that'll work for you. I'm going to try to make some form of this just for massage oil - can I diffuse/decarb dry herb into fractionated coconut oil?

Oftentimes, if strong essential oils trigger headaches it can be because they're impure and full of nasty additives, or used extraction methods that give rise to nasty byproducts. That may not be the case in your case but I know I have to be really fussy about my oils!

Re: First Grow - Outdoor Autoflower Blueberry & AK-47 In Pots With Dr. Earth Soil

Cheers for the recipe! I'm subbed up and catching up. Just thought I'd mention a good quality rosemary oil might work for you - rosemary is my go to for relieving/mitigating headaches so hopefully that'll work for you. I'm going to try to make some form of this just for massage oil - can I diffuse/decarb dry herb into fractionated coconut oil?

Oftentimes, if strong essential oils trigger headaches it can be because they're impure and full of nasty additives, or used extraction methods that give rise to nasty byproducts. That may not be the case in your case but I know I have to be really fussy about my oils!

Thanks for that Amy! I have a friend who is having an "essential oil' party in a week or so (kinda like a tupperware party with oils!) and I plan on seeing what smells soothing and what makes my head pound. I hadn't considered rosemary but I will definitely give it a sniff now!

The smoke point of fractionated coconut oil is 320 °F (160 °C) so you could absolutely decarb into it. I did mine in the oven as I didn't think the crock pot was going to get close to decarb temps. I also didn't want to monitor the time all that closely.

In case y'all thought I'd forgotten about you, I haven't. As a matter of fact, I just bought a bottle of coconut oil (which really isn't oil at room temperature and that would make it a shortening in my book which really isn't a book at all because it's just a google search of "difference between oil and shortening" which lead me to "shortening becomes solid at room temperature, while oil does not") that I plan on using tonight to start making the rub from the fans, stems, roots, and leftover bud-mash. So there will be some THC in this one as well, but nowhere near the concentration of the canna salve.

20170927_144236.jpg

Stay tuned...

Well not only don't I have enough oil in there, I think the pot is too small. Unfortunately I broke the larger crock pot when I tried to transfer it and made a bit of a mess of the kitchen while scooping up all the oil that was running down the counter and onto the floor! Back in the small pot it went with the salvaged oil. I'll buy another jar today and add it to this and let it go a while longer.

I did manage to get all the roots and stems and leaves into the pot last night:

20170928_215053.jpg

with the exception of the fat Blue 2 base of the stem, which I couldn't manage to cut even with a wire clippers:

20170928_205441.jpg

More as things change!

Let's continue this process and see what we end up with besides a large number of pots, measuring cups, and utensils covered in very-tough-to-clean beeswax!

Remember, this is a rub that will have much less THC (just what was left in the buds from last time) and a lot of whatever is in the stems, leaves, and roots. I have no idea what the differing effect will be.

I bought more coconut oil because I didn't think there was enough in the pot to get everything submerged. That tiny crock pot was completely full. After 4 hours on warm, cooling over night, and another 6 hours on warm on Saturday, it was time to strain. I dumped the oil into strainer on a bowl, and this is what was left in the pot:

20170930_151116.jpg

Then I took out the plant matter and put it into the strainer and flattened it with a spoon to get out as much oil as I could:

20170930_151124.jpg

After finally tossing out the plant bits, I strained it again through paper towel:

20170930_152428.jpg

I ended up with 24 ounces of a very dark oil:

20170930_154322.jpg

20170930_154331.jpg

Now, coconut oil is solid at room temperature, but I wasn't thinking when I squeezed in the leftover fractionated oil from the last batch I made and that seemed to change the whole thing into something that is a liquid at room temperature. Enter BEESWAX again!

20171001_092447.jpg

I love the smell of melting beeswax. This time I ended up using 180 grams in 24 ounces because I wanted it much stiffer than the last one, as this was supposed to maintain its shape. I poured it into ice cube trays to cool:

20171001_111233.jpg

While it was cooling I melted more beeswax to pour on top to make a kind of holder that wouldn't melt in your hand as you applied it to your skin. I just managed to have enough wax left to do both trays.

20171001_113819.jpg

And here they are out of the trays.

20171001_155848.jpg

They're still a bit soft but I'm not going to redo them, and I'm out of wax anyway. Unfortunately the wax did NOT stick to the oil cubes, so I've taken one of the trays and epoxied wax to cube. I'll see if that works tomorrow morning after it cures. Not very natural I know but desperate times call for desperate measures. I have my doubts anyway and may have to go with angled toothpicks to hold them together.

In the meantime, the other tray is in the fridge.

More news tomorrow!

I am here to report that epoxy does glue beeswax to coconut oil! Here is a finished cube that's now in the medicine cabinet so I can use it every morning and evening on some spots on my legs to see if they go away. One is like an age spot but is slightly raised (yes it's been checked, thank you for your concern!) and the others are scrapes that healed many months ago but seem to have left dark areas of skin. I'll also try it on some other skin things and see what happens.

20171002_081842.jpg

I also cleaned out an old Camphor Ice tube (like a large chapstick tube) and pushed a cube into it so I can use it at work. I would have used a chapstick tube but I only had brand new ones :) It smells for about an hour after you put it on so I'll probably apply it in the bathroom so at least my office doesn't smell every time the tube gets opened!

20171002_110200.jpg

Please post any thoughts or comments on all because this journal is coming to a close. I'll leave it about a week before I do a complete results summary and report it as done. However, even after it's done I'll report back on any news regarding the various salves and oils I made so it will all be in one place. So don't unsub if you want updates!

Not sure if I ever posted how I make my closeup photos, but since I just added this to Them's thread I thought I should put it here as well:

Don't make it complicated with mount-on and high power loupes and one for looking and one for pics!

Here is how I do it with a $10 8x loupe and a 5 year old Samsung S4

IMG_94194.jpg

IMG_94203.jpg

And get results like this:

20170728_083508.jpg

Sorted!

Very nice man. I have a The olliclip, cost $80 back In the day, doesn’t get results like that. I also take a 40x loupe with led, & snug it up to my phone lense as best I can, but again....no results like that. Hands shaky too! Bravo!!

Let's continue this process and see what we end up with besides a large number of pots, measuring cups, and utensils covered in very-tough-to-clean beeswax!

Remember, this is a rub that will have much less THC (just what was left in the buds from last time) and a lot of whatever is in the stems, leaves, and roots. I have no idea what the differing effect will be.

I bought more coconut oil because I didn't think there was enough in the pot to get everything submerged. That tiny crock pot was completely full. After 4 hours on warm, cooling over night, and another 6 hours on warm on Saturday, it was time to strain. I dumped the oil into strainer on a bowl, and this is what was left in the pot:

20170930_151116.jpg

Then I took out the plant matter and put it into the strainer and flattened it with a spoon to get out as much oil as I could:

20170930_151124.jpg

After finally tossing out the plant bits, I strained it again through paper towel:

20170930_152428.jpg

I ended up with 24 ounces of a very dark oil:

20170930_154322.jpg

20170930_154331.jpg

Now, coconut oil is solid at room temperature, but I wasn't thinking when I squeezed in the leftover fractionated oil from the last batch I made and that seemed to change the whole thing into something that is a liquid at room temperature. Enter BEESWAX again!

20171001_092447.jpg

I love the smell of melting beeswax. This time I ended up using 180 grams in 24 ounces because I wanted it much stiffer than the last one, as this was supposed to maintain its shape. I poured it into ice cube trays to cool:

20171001_111233.jpg

While it was cooling I melted more beeswax to pour on top to make a kind of holder that wouldn't melt in your hand as you applied it to your skin. I just managed to have enough wax left to do both trays.

20171001_113819.jpg

And here they are out of the trays.

20171001_155848.jpg

They're still a bit soft but I'm not going to redo them, and I'm out of wax anyway. Unfortunately the wax did NOT stick to the oil cubes, so I've taken one of the trays and epoxied wax to cube. I'll see if that works tomorrow morning after it cures. Not very natural I know but desperate times call for desperate measures. I have my doubts anyway and may have to go with angled toothpicks to hold them together.

In the meantime, the other tray is in the fridge.

More news tomorrow!

Awesome job

OMG my own journal has sunk to the very bottom of my subscribed thread list! Horrors. Time to start wrapping this up over the next day or so.

First thing I want to say is that THC matters in salves/creams. I think that the low THC cubes I made are best if you just want a handy way to apply coconut oil to your skin for whatever benefits that may have. I haven't seen the same usefulness of those that I have for the high THC salve I made.

The salve works on bites, hives, and muscle pain so far. Regarding the muscle pain, I used it on my tight calves after too much walking, and it worked for a while though not hours of relief. I made sure not to do any serious rubbing when I applied it though so as not to make "massage" a possible reason for the relief it gave me. Still, it did work. I plan on taking the 6 ounces of straight oil I have left and turning it into the salve with the beeswax I salvage from the cubes (minus the epoxy!). I think I'll get more use out of that than the runny oil.

I've been using the cubes (made from the leftover plant bits and the leftover bud cooked into the 24 ounces of coconut oil) on various long-term skin things (age spots, leftover marks from scrapes, nasal labial folds...) and haven't seen any change. I'll give it more time because it doesn't seem fair to stop this soon; it's only been 2 weeks after all. But this journal will be marked completed by the time I finalize my conclusions, even though I will post them here.

And if the cubes don't work I will try the same spots with the high THC salve and see what happens with that.

Next post will wrap up all the grow results to have them in one place, and then I'll put this one to bed.

And here's Blueberry 2 with more LST. I continue to bend the main stem counter clockwise around the pot, but I've also started to bend down a new branch that has begun reaching for the gloomy sky.

Blueberry 2 on day 32:
20170621_064311.jpg

You can see the second round of LST happening with the rock and the long twist tie:
20170621_064550cr.jpg

Hey bud...u didn't top B.B. 2 did ya? Thks

Re: First Grow - Outdoor Autoflower Blueberry & AK-47 In Pots With Dr. Earth Soil

Morning everyone. It looks like I may have the spider mites under control, though the Dr Earth Final Stop is too expensive so I'll be looking for an alternative when this bottle is done.

Blueberry 1 is finally starting to dry out so my back is feeling better, thank you!

Nothing but macro shots today. Don't think Blue 1 is ready yet, so I'll probably feed it over the weekend when it's really dry.

Enjoy!

Blueberry 1 day 80 top:
20170728_083233.jpg

20170728_083349.jpg

Blueberry 1 day 80 lower:

20170728_083410.jpg
I found a cheap source in UK.

Diatomaceous Earth is so amazing I have recently made a routine of covering all the plants in it during vegg. That way no insects will survive and be with you to the flowering period. I also cover the floor in the tents with it.

Buy Diatomaceous Earth UK & Europe | Food Grade DE, Pest Control - Diatom Retail

Back
Top Bottom