First grow - Outside in MA - Going into bloom

Sooey

I am growing CBDream, seeds from Crop King. I am growing in soil, in pots and my plants are outside. Germination was on or about May 7th. I put them outside during the day as weather permitted but because we were so wet and cold until well into June, they were not left out 24/7 until *about* the 25th. I have transplanted as growth required, they are now in 10 gal pots. I have used a mix of bagged soil from the local nursery, Coast of Maine, Black Gold and a bit of Miracle Grow just to make up some volume. I have added generous amounts of Coast of Maine compost. I have added agricultural limestone and watered with an epsom salt solution when I saw yellow leaves. Since this is my first grow I have approached it as an experiment. I have the space to grow indoors but since I have a yard that gets about 7 hours of direct sun and dappled sun until late in the day, it's legal and I can, why not grow outside. I decided that I would keep them in pots so I can bring them inside during high winds and hurricanes. So far I have had to do that only once. So far, everything looks great. They seem happy and healthy and started to go into flower about two weeks ago.

This strain is a 1:1 ratio, 6% THC 6% CBD. My goal in all of this is to have enough bud to make a tincture which will then be used to control pain and perhaps, anxiety.

My question for all of you with more experience...does all of this sound OK to you? and...should I be doing anything to my plants at this point to encourage large flowers? According to Crop King, CBDream has an 8 week flowering cycle which means I should be ready to harvest sometime during the first part of October. As I said, this is an experiment but having this much time invested in this project I sure would like to end up with some sort of success. But, if nothing else, I have had fun and I have learned a lot.

Thank you for any support/direction/encouragement any of you can offer.

Sooey local outdoor MA grower as well. I would add a nutrient for bloom. This will help giving nutrients and increase yield. Then you can also use a PK booster.
The genetics of your strain are a big factor in yield.
Ditch the Miracle Grow for your next time. You have any pictures?

Thank you for your response, MassGrower420. Yes, I know that the yield will depend on the strain and the genes of the plant. It's already baked in...no pun intended. I did my research and started with what I needed the finished product to do, and went from there. Yield is stated as 400 grams. I think that suggests that I should be able to get about 14 ounces per plant (?). But, until I harvest and dry, that amount is nothing more than a guide. I will get what I will get.

The pictures I have need to be updated so I'll get out in the morning to get some new ones. Isn't it great to live in MA? It makes me giggle to think of how the legalization has changed our ability to grow what we need. It's just kinda awesome. I hope the Governor does not mess it up for us.

Thanks again, MassGrower 420. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Sooey, yes I love it here in Mass. but the unpredictable weather has me stressed about my outdoor grow. Just really have to stay on top of any rain and cold temperatures that we will be getting during these final 4 weeks.
As far as your yield. The 400grams that you read about your strain is likely 400 grams per square meter. Not per plant.(although that would be nice).

Hum...per sq meter. That changes things a bit, now I need to re think. These plants are small-ish so I would think I should look for between 8 - 9 oz per plant. It's a moving target. That's also the reason that I may need to up the nutrients during flower.

Yes, the weather can be very iffy here; I am in the south eastern part of the state where the springs can be non-existent but the falls last until Thanksgiving. I am fortunate that I can grow inside until the weather stabelizes in the spring or, if a hurricane should come our way in the fall. This really is an experiment.

Now, I need to go take some pics.

Here are some pics from this morning. Sorry for so few and not all that clear...it's a bit windy out there.

20170905_091524.jpg
20170905_091059.jpg
20170905_091051_2_.jpg

My first grow is finished, my harvest is in and I am ready to grow again. It was a very interesting experience, I learned a lot but it was not all puppies and unicorns. In the end, what 'could' have been a harvest of 'about' 5 oz per plant, I had 4 plants, turned out to be a harvest of 4 oz in total.

My lovely plants that were happy, healthy green and lovely on September 19th when I left for a trip to Texas were covered with mold when I returned home on the 26th. While I was away, hurricane Jose hit. I knew it was coming so I sheltered them as best as I could. As it turned out, the wind was nothing but the rain and humidity that Jose brought lasted for the entire time I was gone. It was a muggy, wet mess. I came home to find mold on my plants. One plant was a total loss but I was able to salvage some of the remaining 3.

I learned that you really do need to pay attention to your plants and never take them for granted. Just because I have a great track record of growing stuff and am considered to be a good gardener, Cannabis is different and it needs some special care. Do not over water. In fact, that is one of the biggest takeaways from this experience...water only when they need it. Watch and read your plants. That and, don't leave them outside if a hurricane is on its way. Better yet, don't go to Texas in September!

I will grow again and I am now making plans for a winter grow. I am trying to get some Critical Cure seeds from Barneys. It needs to be an indoor grow and I need to provide some warm temps. I hope a tent next to the furnace in the basement will do the trick. But the one thing that remains clear and makes me oh, so happy...I love living in Massachusetts! We are a liberal state, our kids are smart and we can grow our own weed! Oh, happy day!

Back
Top Bottom