First Grow - Pineapple Chunk/Tangerine Dream

Backpackin420

Hey guys whats up? Not much here just thought I would post up a couple pic's and start my grow log, I tried posting this on another site before I found this site and for the record this site has so much more to offer with feedback and good positive members. I am a medical patient in WA state and a disabled veteran and was hoping to get some feed back. This is my first grow since I have gotten out of the Navy, so I am still a noob and learning more every day.

Anyways I live in a 3 story townhouse and had to set up in my garage, the weather is very relaxed up in the pacific northwest and my garage stays cool. I did not skimp on equipment and went with what the Hydro store over in Portland recommended.

I originally planed to set up the grow tent in my downstairs computer room, but the 2x4 tent was actually quite bigger then 2x4 and is like 8 feet tall to boot; anyways, I got a switchable ballast w/ 400 MH and HPS bulbs with an 6" air cooled hood. I ran duct out of the tent and placed my fan outside with a duct silencer to keep down on the noise ( its pretty quiet now). I also picked up a Phresh carbon filter 6" x 24" which I am going to hook up in the tent once I start flower and keep negative pressure, if this keeps the smell down cool! but if not I will look into other measures to help keep smell down. Its imperative that there is no smell since I have neighbors.
11847.jpg

5726.jpg

4935.jpg

I picked up 8 clones (4 Pineapple Chunk / 4 Tangerine Dream) and put them in 3 gallon smart pots on 6/8/13. I plan to veg these guys out for 3 weeks then jump into flowering. the plan is while vegging I will top/fim to keep the plants nice and bushy.
31267.jpg

6636.jpg

I am also using full line of Botanicare nutrients but left out Aquashield/Hydroplex and Sweet because the employee of the shop told me there is not much of a difference and he could not notice anything with his grows. I plan on using the Pure Blend Pro Advanced soil formula feeding schedule on the Botanicare web site and feed about once a week or every other water, which do you guys recommend? Have only used Calmag so far PH testing/adjusting my water at feeding time has left me with a runoff PH of 6.0 roughly, I am still new to testing PH and adjusting but think this is okay? Between 5.5 and 6.5 is what It says on my test kit for ideal nute uptake.
21407.jpg

Right now my temps are about 77-79 with the light on and 70 with light off during the day RH is at 45-55%. I currently have them on 18/6 with the 6 hours off time during the hot part of the day. Also I am using Fox Farm soil the ocean one. I am sure I left out some info somewhere but any feed back is greatly appriciated!! the Plants have been in the tent for 3 days so far and are looking awsome!

I first wrote this post a couple days ago, today is 6/11/13 and I will upload some updated photos of the plants

Update: the original photos above were taken on 6/8/13 and the photos here are from Today 6/11/13

Plants look like they are doing okay, Soil was dry today so I watered right as the light came on . I had a bunch of fly's in my tent and I am pretty sure they are not gnats. I did a normal water but supplemented with SNS 203 ( Hydro store recommend this) 4 oz per 1 gallon drenched the soil.
11JUN2013_3.jpg

11JUN2013_1.jpg

Do you guys think I should lower my light? plants seem to be doing fine and if I lower it I have to run new duct because I am a noob and did not make the ducting long enough.
11JUN2013_4.jpg

Here is a pic of the fly's ( best I could get )
11JUN2013_2.jpg

Those look great so far man! I have been wanting to grow some Pineapple Chunk so Im excited to see how you do. The lower you can get the lights, the bushier they will get. I was taught that if you can hold the back of your hand under the light for a min comfortably, than its ok that close to the plant. I keep my HPS lower than when I first started, thats for sure lol. Keep up the great work, happy growing!
:bravo:

Thanks for the feed back Hodder, yhea I can stick my hand inside my hood and actually touch the bulb and its only warm to the touch because of that 6" inline. Maby I need to get my lazy ass out there tommarow and run some new ducting to lower that light.

subscribed. you can lower the light to 10-18 inches from your plants. place your hand underneath the light to where you can not feel any heat from it and lower your light to that point, raise your reflector as your plants grow.

HPS_chart.jpg
Metal_Halide_chart.jpg
grow-room-light-distances.jpg
HPSGraphPAR.jpg

High_Intensity_Light_Coverage.jpg

Thanks so much for the feed back guys, King thanks for that light info! Yhea I am going to move my light closer, I was working in my freaking tent last night and got my hair stuck in that damn fly trap I had hanging from my hood lol. Just need to pick up some ducting tape or something and I will extend the light down to 6". Ill post up some photos later, cant believe I was losing that much light from having it 3 feet above the plants.

Hodder your scrog grows have inspired me to give the Scrog a try, I am going to pick up some string while I am at the hardware store today and start LST. Only thing I am worried about is having two different strains in my tent... one is indica dominate and one is sativa so I am not sure if the net will fill out properly even with training since one plant is natrually taller then the other and has a slightly longer flowering time.. any suggestions?

Also I think the SNS 203 killed off all the fly's I see dead ones around the bottom of the tent and no flyers this morning when I opened the tent up, so that's good. Now we just gotta see if they come back or not!

Hey there Backpackin, Glad to see someone else is growing Pineapple Chunk! Your plants look great! I have 5 of them that are 2 weeks into flower. Just as a FYI- 4 of my chunks were topped and one was just lst'ed. The topped ones did'nt like it much- their stems are thin and buds are small and wispy. The lst'ed one is thick, and has a lot of buds much farther along. Don't know if its the strain or just my plants but I wish I hadn't topped em. Just a thought. Oh yea and welcome to :420::thumb:

Yhea the flowering time on the Tangerine dream is 70 days according to Barney which is somewhat short for a sativa? Then we have the Pineapple Chunk which has a flowering time of 55-60 days indica dominate. I think the Scrog would be a good idea if they were all the same plant, but with different strains and flowering times think I might just go ahead and top/fim and try to keep them bushy as possible and try out the Scrog on my next grow with a single strain. gives me time to build a proper screen anyways

Thanks for the feedback flower, Yhea I topped all of my plants so far except that one small ass pineapple which seems to be stunted for some reason. I was under the impression that you could top and LST? or should you just stick to one?
You can do both- or fim too. I just did mine separately cause I wanted to see how they reacted to it. The reason I wasn't thrilled with topping the pineapples was because they went into shock for days longer than the other strain(thc bomb). They are still stretching instead of focusing on buds so they seem to be set back about 2 weeks compared to the bombs. In the long run that may make them heavy yielders though-who knows! I did supercrop a few tops on the pineapples too, and they reacted well with thicker stems so thats another option for height control! Happy growing!:peace:

Update: Just got back from the Barbers, decided after I got my hair stuck in the fly trap instead of trying to wash it out I would just get a nice buzz. Now I have no hair and a 5 inch beard lol. Anyways long story short I hit up Home Depot after the barber and picked me up some ducting tape/ties/6" duct extenders and lowered that light. its about 12 inches above the plants now roughly, guessing this should be good height and Ill raise as they grow.
12JUN2013_1.jpg

Took a bunch of close pics of the plants just as the lights went off, while under the MH light the plants look light green. Dark deep green when the light is off. You can see where I topped the plants about 1 1/2 days ago. They seem to be adjusting to the top easily with no sign's of stunted growth ( at least from a noobs perspective).

The plants with the fat leaves are the Pineapple and Tangerine has the skinny leaves.
12JUN2013_21.jpg

12JUN2013_31.jpg

12JUN2013_41.jpg

12JUN2013_51.jpg

12JUN2013_61.jpg

12JUN2013_71.jpg

This clone has a odd shape I topped it but looks like it was topped even before I received it
12JUN2013_81.jpg

12JUN2013_91.jpg

This last photo is of the small Pineapple Chunk, Leave tips were yellow when I received it as a clone. Its growing but not as fast as the others, I think maby the roots might have been slightly damaged with transplant on this girl. If I remember correctly I think the soil was breaking apart when I took it out of the cup; nevertheless, I think she will recover and keep up with her sisters.
12JUN2013_101.jpg

Thanks for the previous feed back and I will post up some more photos in a few days when these ladies grow a bit more. :thanks:

i have long hair i tie up with an elastic when i work on my plants. i have a long beard as well.

Yhea man I was planning on growing my hair out after my exit of the military, but with the wife nagging me and the accident with the glue trap my plans were cut short lol. Still got my full beard thoe and thats what matters most!!! Wife hates it thoe lol!

Nice read so far. Your girls look really healthy. What size hid/hps are you using? Also why do grower clip the tips off the leaves? And those light charts have helped me out thanks for posting them on backpacks journal.

Nice read so far. Your girls look really healthy. What size hid/hps are you using? Also why do grower clip the tips off the leaves? And those light charts have helped me out thanks for posting them on backpacks journal.

Thanks for the feedback bunshack, I am using a 400w MH for veg then Im going to switch to a 400w HPS for flower. To be honest I am not sure why the leaf tips are clipped. When I recieved the clones the tips were already like that, I am assuming that it is just for visual appeal since the leaf tips were probably yellow. I clipped the yellow leaf tip off of the small clone myself but all the others came like that. Maby a experienced grower will post why they do that?

Hey guys whats up? Thought I would drop an update on my ladies! These pics were taken about 10 min ago with the light on and it has been roughly one week since I transplanted. They are doing wonderful, for they have taken to topping by the looks of it. That one small dinky ass pineapple must have had some serious root damage when I first transplanted, I went out and picked up a bottle of Roots Excelurator and see if that will fix her. I guess we will see if she dies or not in the coming weeks.

Anyways here ya go!
16JUN2013_8.jpg

16JUN2013_7.jpg

16JUN2013_6.jpg

16JUN2013_5.jpg

16JUN2013_4.jpg

16JUN2013_3.jpg

16JUN2013_2.jpg

16JUN2013_1.jpg

Hi backpackin. Your girls are looking great! :goodjob: Don't give up on the sickly pineapple- she may surprise you and be your best plant in a few weeks.:cheesygrinsmiley: These plants seem to thrive on adversity. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom