First Grow - Quicksand Kush

ChronicPDX

Just set in 6 Quicksand Kush plants for my first grow. About a week from flipping them to 12/12. Current grow environment it a 9.5x5 grow tent under 2 1000 watt MH, which will continue through the first week of flower when they will be switched out for HPS. Temperature hasn't been an issue so far, staying between 76 and 80. But today I spread them out, SCROGed, and flipped on the second light so we will see how that holds up. Both A/C and lights are vented out. The plants are in 3 gallon pots of cocos and currently being watered 2-3 times daily with 24 hour light.

The conditions they came from weren't the best so there are definitely some issues, primarily root aphids and spider mites currently. The mites I have a handle on, the aphids are another story mostly due to lack of experience dealing with them. So any input on those would be appreciated, obviously the more natural and organic methods preferably. They were vegged under T5's crammed into a small space with 30 other plants of roughly equal size with zero ventilation, hence why I'm giving them so long under the MH's.

I'll be posting some photos to go with this thread soon. I've been waiting to take some of the mite sites and other problem leaves off till I could set up for photos of those and the grow itself.

Update: Currently having an issue with humidity being too low. Plants are currently still in veg for another 5 days till they flip to 12/12. Lighting is still 24 on but going to be switching to 18/6 tomorrow. Humidity has been consistent at 20% since put under MH (22 Dec.) with the exception of today for a short period, reaching 27%. The cause of said increase was applying a wet towel to the garden. Asked another cultivator and he suggested shutting down my filter/fan as it was pulling out too much moisture, which resulted in 20% Rh and 90 on my temp within minutes. (Current temp/hum is 84.6 @ 20%.) I've placed a pail of water just below the lights in hopes of in increase about an hour ago with no result so far. Maybe my meter is broken and just not giving me accurate info...? Any suggestions would be awesome and greatly appreciated. I'll be adding some images here shortly so there is a visual reference for anyone who can help.

You can go to Wal-Mart and pick up a small humidifier people use for when they are sick for like 20 bucks. It should work pretty good I use one and it works good keeps humidity stable at 50%. Or you can use a couple seedling head mats with a tray of water on them it should help. As for mites I'm guessing you could try a little bit of dish soap in a spay bottle and spray your plants with that. It has to be plain dish soap though like dawn or something. Or you can try neem oil mites and pest are like aids once you get them they almost never fully go away

Sent from my LG-H830 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I do have a small humidifier but it seems to be broke. Filled it up 2 days ago and still has the same amount of water. To address that issue I first tried hanging a wet towel in the tent, but that only helped for a minute and only got it to 27%. So now I have a water pail hanging there and it's back up to 27% from 20. I honestly think something is wrong with the meter at this point.

The mites. Yes, they are a pain. Thankfully I was able to knock them back a bit with thinning/lollipopping, but it looks like they are starting to migrate. I'll be going to 18/6 tomorrow so I will be spaying them during their off phase twice a week and wiping them 3 times a week with a neem oil/pesticide soap mix. Also got root aphids so I'll be going after those at some point. Before they came over they got a root drench for the aphids, so not sure when I should be doing that again or if there are other methods for dealing with them.

I'll be replacing the majority of this equipment as soon as I can. Since all of it was donated a lot of it doesn't work right or work at all. I did manage to get some more equipment on loan but wont be able to get it in for a few more days. I will try the tray and heating mat though when I can get them. Until then I'll just get it as high as I can. And the battery was just replaced, so just time to get a new one. And thank you by the way.

Yeah no problem man that's cool that you got all that stuff from people I wish I had connects like that.

Took a long time and a lot of hard work. I've been working with them about 4 years now and they decided it was my turn to try. It definitely makes it easier on my end.

Sent from my LGLS992 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Yeah for real not having to spend an arm and a leg for a set up. But I love spending money on new shit its super fun. I started out with one tent and a shitty ass cfl light with lol I got something out of it just not what I wanted. It was all really cheapo shit I didn't even have any fans or any type of airflow lol didn't know anything about that stuff. I learned from trial and error. I've killed so many plants along the way. Good ones too.

Hi there from Eugene, for fungus gnats try Mosquito Bits or Dunks (but you have to crumble the Dunks up) they have Bacullis Thurengiensis, a bacteria that attacks the digestive system of larvae, in them.
The day I water, before I water, I work it into the top 2 inches of soil then water it through and if you don't mind killing off your benificials an Azamax drench at the next watering.
Good luck

I love spending it too, and once I can I plan too. I have a vision for where I want this to go, how to look, and how it will run. Now just getting the moving parts. LOL. Hopefully I got a lot of the trial and error out of the way while working with others, but time will tell. So far we are doing pretty good (all things considered) so we are hopeful. So far I haven't killed anything yet so there is that.

That's good man keep it up. This forum will help you a lot on you journey to becoming a good grower. YouTube and Google is what taught me a lot. YouTube was my stepping stone though once I found good growers to watch I literally watched everything I could. I never worked with anyone or learned from anyone firsthand I basically showed myself they right path and I do pretty good for someone that's been on it for 5 years. I'm excited to see what you got ill keep an eye out for your posts and watch and see how you do. Ill help with as much knowledge I can too.

Hi there from Eugene, for fungus gnats try Mosquito Bits or Dunks (but you have to crumble the Dunks up) they have Bacullis Thurengiensis, a bacteria that attacks the digestive system of larvae, in them.
The day I water, before I water, I work it into the top 2 inches of soil then water it through and if you don't mind killing off your benificials an Azamax drench at the next watering.
Good luck

I agree azomax is good for a critical solution

Thank you for the input. Azamax is available to me if I need it, but definitely something I will save as a last resort. Surprisingly these ladies are in awesome condition considering who they came from. She has had this aphid issue (among many others) for a long time and is fine with just "managing them" every cycle. This opportunity got dropped on me last minute and it was what I could get my hands on if I want to be taking these down the first week of March. But first chance I get I'm exterminating anything I don't want living, sterilizing everything, and bringing in fresh and clean genetics.

I've found a ton of useful information on here over the last few years. I started a garden with a family member a while back and most answers I got here. Crazy. Back in the day unless you knew someone really well they weren't talking about this. It still is that way with some people depending on the topic, but what we're doing right now, aside from not having internet, this wouldn't be happening. And thank you. I'm always looking to learn and add to my knowledge base as well as share knowledge or theories.

So today the ladies got some rest with some lights out. Took the opportunity to spray for spider mites. Though I didn't get all of them I got a nice chunk. I'll be doing a neem oil/insect soap wipe tomorrow during the off phase. Doing some last minute defoliating before switching to 12/12 in a few days.
20161227_193418_HDR.jpg
CCK_8062.JPG
CCK_8058.JPG

So I am 2 days from going to 12/12 and loving how these are filling out. I believe I'm noticing the beginning stages of powdery mildew (will upload photos soon of target sites) and could use some advice on that. I know I can do a peroxide/water solution spray, but trying to use other methods first. I was already planning on wiping the leaves with a neem oil/soap solution after flipping to 12/12 and was wondering if that would be effective? The other method I know of is getting a sulfur burner, but not trying to stink the place up with that unless I have to. Also, I knew pretty much all these problems were possible because of who the plants came from but I was thinking with how low my humidity has been I wouldn't really have a problem with that till later on in flower.

Until I get those problem pics up here are some I took last night before heading to bed.

CCK_8062.JPG
CCK_8058.JPG
CCK_8061.JPG

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom