First Grow room setup: Need help and ideas

Hey guys, I have a ton of questions and hopefully you guys can help me with my first setup. First of all, energy costs are no problem at the moment so keep that in mind, please. I have one empty room at my house measuring roughly 2,7 meters wide x 3,1 meters height x 2,5 meters . I have no idea how many ft.

My first question is tent: Should I buy separate tents for my veg and flowering stages or should I set the whole room up with mylar? I plan on using a 1000W KingLed light, knowing full well I won't be able to get maximum yield on my first grow, but perhaps in future grows. I have an air conditioner already in this room.

Should I get another light instead? If any of you would be so kind to help me set this room up, I would be grateful, thanks.

Separate grow tent at least for the Veg would be my opinion. The tent for veg can be smaller than a tent for flower so I would go that route. Perhaps a 1.2mX1.2m tent for veg. That King 1000w light is actually only running 185 actual watts so there are FAR FAR better options out there. That light wouldnt even be enough to effectivly Veg in a 1.2mX1.2m tent. Advertised Coverage Area for that light is: about 3.4 x 3.8 ft and even that is WAY overrated and would only be about 15 watts per square foot. With LED I would roughly reccomend 25-30 actual watts per square foot for veg and 35-50 actua watts per square foot for flower. That light might and I mean might be enough to grow lettuce in a 1.2mx1.2m tent.

Hey guys, I have a ton of questions and hopefully you guys can help me with my first setup. First of all, energy costs are no problem at the moment so keep that in mind, please. I have one empty room at my house measuring roughly 2,7 meters wide x 3,1 meters height x 2,5 meters . I have no idea how many ft.

My first question is tent: Should I buy separate tents for my veg and flowering stages or should I set the whole room up with mylar? I plan on using a 1000W KingLed light, knowing full well I won't be able to get maximum yield on my first grow, but perhaps in future grows. I have an air conditioner already in this room.

Should I get another light instead? If any of you would be so kind to help me set this room up, I would be grateful, thanks.
Hi Gue, welcome. I'm about two years into this and if I had my druthers I'd have two tents at least. But I have to ask if that isn't a little too forward thinking. If you know you're going to keep with this you might consider dual areas. light timing between veg and flower have to be different so different areas are needed.

Separate grow tent at least for the Veg would be my opinion. The tent for veg can be smaller than a tent for flower so I would go that route. Perhaps a 1.2mX1.2m tent for veg. That King 1000w light is actually only running 185 actual watts so there are FAR FAR better options out there. That light wouldnt even be enough to effectivly Veg in a 1.2mX1.2m tent. Advertised Coverage Area for that light is: about 3.4 x 3.8 ft and even that is WAY overrated and would only be about 15 watts per square foot. With LED I would roughly reccomend 25-30 actual watts per square foot for veg and 35-50 actua watts per square foot for flower. That light might and I mean might be enough to grow lettuce in a 1.2mx1.2m tent.

thanks for the answer, thats exactly what i was thinking for the veg grow and the reason i made the thread, thanks a lot. What light do you think I should use for the flower? Temperature is not a problem... Maybe I should use 1000W HPS and small envirolights on the walls for the flower and 600W MH in a separate room? Anyway, any help is welcome, thanks in advance.

Hi Gue, welcome. I'm about two years into this and if I had my druthers I'd have two tents at least. But I have to ask if that isn't a little too forward thinking. If you know you're going to keep with this you might consider dual areas. light timing between veg and flower have to be different so different areas are needed.

yes, two areas is a possibility and i'm also thinking about it. My biggest problem is light, since I have a nice budget atm and don't want to rebuy a better one later. Do you have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

yes, two areas is a possibility and i'm also thinking about it. My biggest problem is light, since I have a nice budget atm and don't want to rebuy a better one later. Do you have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
I use DIY style cobs. People are using all sorts of light. The sponsors here are probably a good place to start looking. Check successful grow journals. Look for something to suit the space you're growing in.

If your budget tight then your most cost effective light setup would be a 600w my in the veg tent and a 1000w hps in the flower area since you can handle the heat. I have my own do-it-yourself cob LED lights that cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to $5,000 so I am a huge fan of LED. In your case however were your budget needs to be watched to get you started that is certainly the route I would go. You can get a 600 W metal halide light and a 1000w HPS both for a few hundred dollars together. That would definitely get you started. I would highly suggest a good very high velocity extraction blower. At least a 4 in inside the veg tent and probably an 8in in the rest of the room blowing Outdoors.

If your budget tight then your most cost effective light setup would be a 600w my in the veg tent and a 1000w hps in the flower area since you can handle the heat. I have my own do-it-yourself cob LED lights that cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to $5,000 so I am a huge fan of LED. In your case however were your budget needs to be watched to get you started that is certainly the route I would go. You can get a 600 W metal halide light and a 1000w HPS both for a few hundred dollars together. That would definitely get you started. I would highly suggest a good very high velocity extraction blower. At least a 4 in inside the veg tent and probably an 8in in the rest of the room blowing Outdoors.

yeah, prob the veg tent i would have to buy a growing kit from one of the stores here. you mentioned the diy cob led lights and that got my attention. How do I know which LED light to buy for my need? I had no idea that the KingLed would be that shit lol... meanwhile im definitely going to get a 600w metal hallide and a 1000w hps. Considering my grow room size, do you think im able to fit 2 lights later on? My biggest problem right now is building it and im not sure if i centralize my only light or if I make empty room for a future 2nd light... What do you think? Thanks a lot man you're being of great help, both of you, thanks too stoneotter.

EDIT: Also, I Don't know if I mentioned but they're going to be 2 different rooms, one with a "small" tent and one actual room. I don't know if that changes the fact about the extraction blower.

Well from the sounds of it making your own cob led would be down the road when your budget allows. They are about the best you can get as far as lights but expensive. A 600w mh can veg a 1.5m x 1.5m to 1.8x1.8 area very well and a 1000w hps is usually used for flower covering that same 1.5m x 1.5m size area. Maybe a tad bit larger area if need be but not much for good flowering.

ok guys @fanleaf @stoneotter i just finished setting my first tent for vegging. can you guys give me a hand and tell me if theres anything that needs improvement? thanks in advance. fan, im a big fan of your journals dude youre a legend and i hope i can have 1/10 of your talent

Attachments

• IMG-20190112-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20190112-WA0013.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG-20190112-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20190112-WA0014.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG-20190112-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20190112-WA0015.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 143
ok guys @fanleaf @stoneotter i just finished setting my first tent for vegging. can you guys give me a hand and tell me if theres anything that needs improvement? thanks in advance. fan, im a big fan of your journals dude youre a legend and i hope i can have 1/10 of your talent
No problem dude and thanks for the kudos, I'm glad you found my journal/s had some good stuff in them. I've only done a few journals on here and I haven't done a journal in about the last 8 to 12 Cycles so maybe it's time I start another one soon.
Can you send me the information on your light? Make and model or something. I'd be interested in looking that up a little bit to see the specs. Also you did a very good and clean wiring job there! Now will you are grow tent be sitting on that tile floor like it is in the pictures? If so, that's okay but I will make a few suggestions if you are.

No problem dude and thanks for the kudos, I'm glad you found my journal/s had some good stuff in them. I've only done a few journals on here and I haven't done a journal in about the last 8 to 12 Cycles so maybe it's time I start another one soon.
Can you send me the information on your light? Make and model or something. I'd be interested in looking that up a little bit to see the specs. Also you did a very good and clean wiring job there! Now will you are grow tent be sitting on that tile floor like it is in the pictures? If so, that's okay but I will make a few suggestions if you are.

yeah man i really liked your journals, especially the one with the Moneymaker strain, since coincidentally I also ordered those seeds and am researching everything I can about it and yours is so filled with pictures and valuable info... I'd love to see your other journals. My biggest problem thus far is that I can't find a day to day basis journal, only week to week and sometimes even more than that. If you have any recommendations I'd love to read them or even get my hands on your journals.

As for the info on the light, it's a simple 400W MH 5000k. I plan on getting a 1000W HPS, 130000 lumens, for my other tent next week. My seeds haven't arrived yet so there's that... My plan is using one of these mats under the tent, what's your opinion? I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance and I hope you get back on the journal track. Cheers from Brazil my dude.

WhatsApp Image 2019-01-12 at 23.47.44.jpeg

Ok guys, I almost finished setting up my tents.

Specs:
2,55x2,73x3,10m room with a 9000 BTU Split AC on 24/7, temp before plants is usually at 75F/24C
Two tents:

Veg tent: 2.6/2.6/5.2ft - 80x80x160cm
400W MH BULB - 5000k - reach: 16 ft² / 1,5 m²
5'' extractor fan
5'' inline fan
1 micro fan

Flower tent: 5x5x6.5ft - 150x150x200cm
1000W HPS BULB - 2000K - reach: >32ft² / >3m²
6'' extractor fan
6'' carbon filter 460m3/h
6'' inline fan
2 micro fans

Full GH line + CalMag
pH and EC meter

Pics will follow soon.

First of all I want to thank again for helping me on this thread but also on your journals @stoneotter and @fanleaf. I'm now onto planning my first grow while I wait for the seeds to arrive and would very much like help: I'm short on budget after all this and would like help thinking it through since I only have 50L of my subtrate. I can buy some more but I still have to buy a few things so the money is short.

I want to get the highest yield possible with those specs and with my inexperience, although I want to try hard techniques on my first go on at least a few plants. With that said I would like to know how many plants you guys think would suffice for me to achieve that goal. I was planning to start with 8 StarDawg Auto Fem by Fast Buds on 4Gal/15L Fabric Pots on a 50 spaghnum peat/50 perlite mix (am thinking on switching to a 33 coco/33 perlite/33 spaghnum peat). But is there a way I can achieve the goal with fewer plants and bigger pots? I plan on mainling at least some if not all my autos based on a few nice journals and youtubers harvest. Any suggestions my man? Would very much like to hear it. Cheers

Hey G-clan glad you gleaned some useful info from my journal. I have topped and lst'd autos in my 4 x 4 tent. 4 plants is all the room I have in there. They get pretty wide when you spread them out with the lst. Top before 21 days is the old rule, as long as they are healthy and growing strongly. Then I wait for them to grow enough to lst for an even canopy. There's a transition time with newts when pistols start, that's for later. 18/6 lights. Start in the final pot. DON'T OVER WATER. Don't under water.
@fanleaf has a bangup auto journal. I expect he/she has much more for you. I'll be interested too. BTW I see my post on Dec 28 mentions a dream of a second tent. Well I shoveled a spot and wired in some outlets. Almost there.

Back
Top Bottom